Bush Quest

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

The mighty empire of Bollywood stood for thousands of turns, vast and powerful, spanning a large portion of land and - some said - several dozen cities. Owing to their unique combination of casters, they became a powerhouse of manufactured units, easily replaced and without upkeep. The florist Nettle producted large amounts of crops with her magic too, and those units who actually needed to eat were well-feed.

Then came Lord Spanish and his armies, conquering city after city. The king of Bollywood and all his casters were unable to stop him, and they were slowly swallowed whole by the Spanitopia. All hope seemed lost, and Chief Hippymancer Nettle wept for her destroyed gardens and orchards, unable to end the onslaught. Then a Predictamancer from the Magic Kingdom delivered a prophecy - the Lord Spanish would be defeated through the use of poison. The four casters worked together to assemble a team of their best units, only turns before Spanish and his armies reached the capital, sweeping in from the west after destroying the rest of Bollywood's kingdom. They knew Spanitopia's capital was to the southeast, and that Spanish went back there every few turns, for reasons of his own. Thus the four were sent away on their mission of assassination and regicide.

That was three turns ago. The King of Bollywood was slain this morning, passing his crown onto one of his casters. None of you know which one, or what became of your creators, but presumably they fled to the Magic Kingdom at the final hour. They left orders to find the capital, and Croak Lord Spanish.

(special note: For the purposes of this game, all units here are assumed to be capable of speech and to be, in varying levels, intelligent. They obviously have different personalities though, so feel free to make them. Creative thinking is encouraged. The game has been adjusted to be micro instead of macromanagement.)

Image

Game Start!

Your party stopped in a forest hex last night, and this morning your became barbarians before your turn even started. You four have a special advantage over other barbarians, however - None of you have an upkeep, being creations of magic. You may all continue your quest until the day you are destroyed, except Senor Expiracion, who has 77 turns before he dusts.

The Dire Rosebush, however, requires water, and has a special counter. It can go up to five turns without being watered, then begins to wilt. It will die next turn unless water is found, and the mission will fail. As there is a pond here in this hex, it was watered this morning.

Spoiler: show
Dire Rosebush
HP: 8
Attack: 15
Defense: 0
Move: 0
Special: Ranged (2 shots/turn), Deadly Toxin, Watered (5/5)

Senor Expiracion
HP: 12
Attack: 8
Defense: 6
Move: 2
Special: Leadership 4, Stealth Cloak, Decay (77)

Mac
HP: 20
Attack: 4
Defense: 8
Move: 8
Special: Mount, Inventory

Straw
HP: 10
Attack: 3
Defense: 4
Move: 2
Special: Magic Hat.

(Other special note: These stats reflect macro stats. The descriptions I gave of the characters reflect other hidden traits that wouldn't show up in a stat screen)


Your former capital lies to the northwest, but you cannot go back, even if it was not suicide. All you know now is your mission objective is somewhere to the southeast, and it is unlikely your enemy even knows you exist... yet.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:48 pm

So I suppose I'm the Cowardly Scarecrow, right? Or am I getting wires crossed here? "If I only had a heart.... Or was it a hat?"

I move that Senor Whatshisname use his cloak of scoutiness to scout ahead.
WaterMonkey314
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Can I cloak Mac while riding him?
If not, can Mac wear my cloak?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby KF25 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Can I join?
KF25
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I think you're getting your wires crossed, scarecrow.

Sadly, Mac is too big for the cloak, and while you are riding him you can veil yourself, but you will appear to be a large saddle bag, which is itself slightly suspicious. But not impossible to pull off.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Can the Scarecrow be slung over Mac (either animate or not) while I ride Mac and carry the plant, and get a full 8 move out of it?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Can the Scarecrow be slung over Mac (either animate or not) while I ride Mac and carry the plant, and get a full 8 move out of it?


Kaed wrote:He can carry ONE RIDER.


However, for the purposes of this, the Rosebush counts as an item, albeit a large, heavy one. If it's being carried by the rider, Mac struggles with the weight and moving costs double.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Kaed wrote:He can carry ONE RIDER.

I realized it's one rider. I was wondering if, without the hat, we could pack the scarecrow in the saddle backs and treat him like baggage instead.

Since we can't, I suggest we move 2 hexes SE as a group, then I'll leave it up to Mac to determine whether he feels like expending his additional move scouting.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm

No hex I can't get to. Whatever hex we stop in, I can scout all around it (maybe, if move costs aren't more than 1).
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Sounds like a good idea, then. Move 2 SE, then Mac scouts a ring around us.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby CroverusRaven » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Dang, been a while since I played something with the highest damage. And poison too to boot, awesome.

"Ah, we should keep this pond in mind for the future, in case we don't find water to the south. Too bad I can't wait here and enjoy the waters. Ah well. Shall we go then?" The Dire Rosebush speaks in a rather high voice, a bit hammy and over exaggerating in its tone.
CroverusRaven
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Barring other special penalties like overencumbrance, moving out of a mountain or heavy forest hex takes one extra move, and everything else is normal. Also you're in regular forest right now.

Also I will not make a map for every update, only important ones and when I have extra time. This is not going to be a speedy game most likely, because the turn will not end unless all players have taken actions and are ready to close it, or 48 hours of inactivity occur. However, since a majority of you wish to move ahead, and there is no specific reason not to, we'll let the scarecrow join a bit later.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:12 pm

^--- post above has been edited with more info. Check it if you have not.
____

The group heads to the southeast, and the mountain range to the northeast remains steady. They pass through another forest hex on the way to their destination, which is, surprise, more forest. However, this one has a stream meandering down out of the mountains to the northeast.

Mac has enough move to scout all the surrounding non mountain hexes before returning with 2 move. Alternatively, he can scout the northeast hex and return with no move left. Which option?

Senor and Straw can search the hex for interesting things/hidden creatures, rest, or spend some time training.

Rosebush may demand to be watered, or attempt communion with the trees here, though there is no assurance they will have useful things to say.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 am

Senor will cloak and search the hex.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 am

I choose to roam and run free! Free like the wind! (So the option with more hexes)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 am

MarbitChow
Spoiler: show
You put on your cloak, taking on the appearance of a harmless deer, and search the hex thoroughly, leaving no bush unrummaged and no stone unturned. It takes several hours, but in the process you find an orly nest ("o snap!) and several interesting seeds. Normally you would never bother with seeds on the ground, but it occurs to you that since your mistress is allied to a florist, they might be sent her way to have something done to them.


My Little BLANDy
Spoiler: show
You canter away into the woods majestically, your soft hooves actually almost quiet enough to be stealthy. The woods continue as usual to the southwest, but you're fairly certain the trees are thinning to the south, you may be nearing the exit to the forest. You don't stay there long though, because the hex is full of tall weeds, and you hate it when your legs get covered in burrs. Up in the mountains you spot a group of gobwins, who fire arrows at you! One of them hits your flank as you flee, causing some of your precious Stuffing to leak out! (-1 hp)
Last edited by Kaed on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:50 am

Is there any way to tame or otherwise control the Orlies?
If not (in an attempt to claim some easy XP), would they be worth fighting?

-----

We'll send the seeds via the Hat to the Florist.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby Kaed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

MarbitChow wrote:Is there any way to tame or otherwise control the Orlies?
If not (in an attempt to claim some easy XP), would they be worth fighting?


Well, it's a bird. I guess you could try feeding it something.

I mean, you found these seeds... birds like seeds, right?

MarbitChow wrote:We'll send the seeds via the Hat to the Florist.


Command Error: Sending a message to the Florist requires the cooperation of Straw and Mac, one of which has not yet returned!

You also need something to wrap the seeds in, but a leaf would probably do, and there are plenty of those around in a forest.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 am

Re: Bush Quest

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 am

Ok. Feed one of the seeds to the Orly, as well as any grubs / worms / other yummy insects it might like. Also, water Rosebush. Pass the remaining seeds to Straw and ask him to send them to the Florist when Mac returns.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Bush Quest

Postby CroverusRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 am

I will speak the the trees, asking if they've seen any units pass through here recently, other than us, and not things that live here.
CroverusRaven
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests