Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby CroverusRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Donovan wanders a bit, getting used to his new Signamancy. His large hands could reach out and grab a soldier's head, then squeeze. He wandered down to see these elves that the casters had brought in, and catches the end of Wandereus' comments. "Enemy units, nearby? We should go crush them."
CroverusRaven

Postby The Colonel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Hearing Wandereus' commentary, Bill says sarcastically, "Oh joy, looks like I won't be running out anytime soon"
The Colonel

Postby Swodaems » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I'd really like a Piece Maker, me. That's the Discworld ultramega crossbow that could level walls. Wielded by a Troll, but hey, I'm a heavy. With siege capacity, range and quick reflexes, I could bring the pain on elves even as they cower behind walls.

You may get your wish there. Marbitchow is thinking of adding in siege ballista.

Exate wrote:
Swodaems wrote:My plan to bring them both in:
This seems workable. However, it does eat up our next three-four turns with this- what will our city be doing during that time? With the King in Green now aware of his forces' loss, it's vitally important that we move on to our next objective quickly, before he has a chance to fortify. I believe we've discussed previously how Rainbow Springs is a natural rallying point for units from a half-dozen Breatheairian cities; I would very much like to take it before they can use it as such and make it virtually impregnable.
I plan for our city to be popping mobile siege structures. I'm thinking of mainly creating siege ballista as the ballista doesn't need to be dragged slowly up to the wall/tower/gate before it can start to damage the enemy city.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can reasonably attack a city before 9-13 turns from now, depending on our target city. This is because every one of the mobile siege structures has a overland hex move limit of 4. Mining picks, which appear to be carried items, could also be used to deal damage to the enemy city, but there is no defined way to produce those. (To paraphrase the rules I linked above, from now on, structures can only be damaged by specified sources of siege damage.)

On a side note, the topic of siege links back to the question of what to do with our leveled npc units. Siege structures like ballista require operators to use. We may want to stat a few units as specialized operators. (I'm thinking of taking a few (3 or 4) of the infantry taking and using the stat points on nothing but def. This is because a siege ballista divides the operator's combat score by 2 when fired against units, but does stat irrelevent damage to structures. Siege operators are also likely targets for archery fire from defending. Stacking def on operators would increase the operator's survivability, but would maintain the unit's ability as a threat to structures.)

ETheBoyce wrote:T. Coil laughs a long, cruel, bitter laugh in Tod's face.

"We both know that I am necessary for you capture plan, just as we both know I was already going to go on it, just as we both know I have been instrumental in every Tenebresian victory since I TURNED to this side. And yet at every opportunity you seek to hinder my advancement of our cause. Their case was neither important nor compelling, the Elves will be of little battlefield use unless we plan on sacrificing them like the King in Green and thus their main purpose will be post-engagement healing and helping me with Turning. If they do not approve of my methods then they will refuse to help, just as we both know Triage and Junetta would be most loathe to do! Turning them my way insures they are obedient which is all we need from them. As for the question of Armolad and who holds the Title of Chief Warlord, quite frankly I have little reason to care who it is, you both seem interchangeable at this point, though Armolad has thus far managed to not put us in a desperate position by convincing a major side to focus solely on us! If you are insecure in your position as Chief Warlord it is not because of Armolad's Bonus, it is because you are worried the King thinks you incompetent, which is a problem well worth considering."
Tod sighs and says, "I see that talking to you further at the moment would not be productive. I'll attend to my duties elsewhere. Good day." Tod then leaves to check on the status of the elves.

MarbitChow wrote:"They've already provided a bit of information, though. A number of stacks of Faerie reinforcements were massing in Rainbow Springs, and at least one or two stacks were already headed here to help reinforce the city when Armolad captured it. They're probably only a turn or two away. They keep several stacks in each city to patrol and clear out the surrounding terrain, since they do so more quickly and safely than regular troops."
Tod approaches the cells in time to hear the tail end of Wandereus' response to Will's question.

Tod's eyes get a far away look as he thinks aloud, "So an additional 8 to 16 faeries are within 24 hexes of here. That is no real threat to the city, but this could cause problems for the mission to capture Armolad."

"To capture both Armolad and Amandaria alive, the misson requires that a group spends an elven turn out of the city in a hex the elves will know we attacked. We can put a significant number of units in that hex to easily croak the faeries if they attack on the elven turn, but that might require that another group of units, mainly consisting of mounts, spends the night in another hex. Reinforcing that hex in case faeries attack there is a trickier proposition as the forces there may be limited to just a couple riders, but it is doable. If that hex consist of just 2 well-armed, dancing archers and 6 dancing naughty kitties, we can win against 16 unled level 1 faeries without losses if we leave the archers with a couple healing potions. The naughty kitties dodge for the entire battle while the archers ride, so the faeries won't be able to touch them with normal damage. Objay dart only does 1 def ignoring damage per attack and, used correctly, the healing potions would counter that building damage until the archers have had time to eliminate the faeries."

"Of course, then there is the possibility that the faeries are currently in the hex Armolad has ran to. The amount of units that can be part of an attack on that hex is severely limited by the number of units we can fit on a balrug in one trip. We could have a brick bat swarm and 3 other units riding. Cupid could also join the capture group to help. Against 2 stack of faeries, that may not be enough firepower to prevent the faeries from able to blow thru the swarm and destroy the balrug out from under the capture crew."

"Obviously we can always call off the mission if we see the faeries in the hex," voice lowers, " but seeing them might actually be a problem. The King in Green could hire Charlie to use his archons to veil those faeries with a crypsis spell. The one here named Faith could do it when Charlie's turn comes in the morning. I don't think that would be breach of contract."

"Yuri should be warned of the possibility of veiled fliers in Armolad's hex. If he does decide he wants to lead the capture team and have a discussion with the enemy, discerning if there is a trap in the hex based on the enemy's behavior may be our only option to avoid an ambush."

"And hopefully there won't a veiled ambush in the hexes between here and Armolad's position."

Tod's eyes stop gazing at nothing and snap to Wandereus. "Wandereus, keep me posted on any information the elves have. I'm going to tell Yuri of the danger and ensure he knows to call off the mission if need be." Tod then leaves to find Yuri.
Swodaems

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Jesus. First Bill and now Tod just happened to be nearby? Anyways.

(IC, irt. Wandereus)

*smile* "Casters get all the fun. Mind if I wait here, I need to speak to Triage and Junetta when they are done."

EDIT, 13h later: I take that as a "no I don't mind", so I'll be standing here waiting for the healers to come out. Silent. And unmoving.

I can do awkward silence really well.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 am

Junetta notices the commotion outside the parlor, and excuses herself from the group. Triage does not appear to mind being left alone with the Altruistic Elves. She steps into the corridor, shuts the door to give Triage some privacy, and nods to William. "What's on your mind?"
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 am

MarbitChow wrote:Junetta notices the commotion outside the parlor

OOC Quite a commotion it was, lol. Everyone's been visiting this place it seems. /OOC

(IC)

You healers have earned yourself a dangerous foe tonight. But you may yet gain a good friend. I am sure we can work out something to our mutual benefit. For my part, I desire Mobility.

Where was Romana's mount found? Or maybe your school can offer some temporary boost? Or maybe in your dealings with the Magic Kingdom, you'll find such a thing to boost, even if for a turn, the move range of a unit. Should you find this, come to me and name your price.

And say hello to our new guests for me. Our skills may be inimical, but they're two sides of the same coin really. I respect that.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:28 am

Junetta responds that Romana's Fryahovar mount was popped by Breatheairia, just as our Naughty Kitties are. Fryahovar grow wings once they reach 4th level. She suspects the Turnamancers may be the right place to find what you seek.

OOC: Note that the pending rules revision allows mounts to carry Heavies when the mount reaches 4th level, if they purchase the ability, as well as the Swift ability to increase their movement. (click)
Also a quick reminder that, thanks to the Crown of Darkness artifact that you gained for King Creperum, any Level 4 Tenebris city can pop Bad Ass mounts, which have flight.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am

MarbitChow wrote:Junetta responds that Romana's Fryahovar mount was popped by Breatheairia, just as our Naughty Kitties are. Fryahovar grow wings once they reach 4th level. She suspects the Turnamancers may be the right place to find what you seek.

Turnamancers, hmm. Well, should you find one, ask them on my behalf for move boosts.

MarbitChow wrote:OOC: Note that the pending rules revision allows mounts to carry Heavies when the mount reaches 4th level, if they purchase the ability, as well as the Swift ability to increase their movement. (click)
Also a quick reminder that, thanks to the Crown of Darkness artifact that you gained for King Creperum, any Level 4 Tenebris city can pop Bad Ass mounts, which have flight.

OOC: I've been not following the rules discussion thread, so that's interesting news. A bit odd, because it kinda softens the punch of mobility penalty for walking Heavies. I was expecting an epic quest to be honest, since my understanding was that Romana's mount was fairly rare.

Quick check-up, how can a body find the list of currently available units, side-wide? Including stuff at Tenebris?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC: I've been not following the rules discussion thread, so that's interesting news. A bit odd, because it kinda softens the punch of mobility penalty for walking Heavies. I was expecting an epic quest to be honest, since my understanding was that Romana's mount was fairly rare.
Technically, you already did the epic quest by defeating the Bone Dagron and unlocking the Bad Asses, otherwise you'd be limited to ground mounts only. And I'm still going back and forth between increasing the XP for mounts, but I suspect that since mounts protect the PCs, they'll probably expire more frequently, so getting more than a couple to Level 4 should be a challenge regardless.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Quick check-up, how can a body find the list of currently available units, side-wide? Including stuff at Tenebris?
Click the "Reference" link in my sig. 2nd entry has a spoiler section entitled "Unit Popping Quick Reference".
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 am

MarbitChow wrote:Technically, you already did the epic quest by defeating the Bone Dagron and unlocking the Bad Asses, otherwise you'd be limited to ground mounts only. And I'm still going back and forth between increasing the XP for mounts, but I suspect that since mounts protect the PCs, they'll probably expire more frequently, so getting more than a couple to Level 4 should be a challenge regardless.

Maybe not if they're the mount of a healomancer ;)

Well, it's not like either of Triage or Junetta have a 4th level mount to trade yet. But they might in the future. And I'll want it. So let's make an arragement for such a thing now. What would the Healers want, if they are to give a 4th level mount they've raised since infancy, to me?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:05 am

(OOC I'm forced to suppress my 'Evil GM' reflexes, which are currently urging me to write "Junetta leans in very closely, and whispers to William, 'Kill Coil'." )
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:05 am

MarbitChow wrote:(OOC I'm forced to suppress my 'Evil GM' reflexes, which are currently urging me to write "Junetta leans in very closely, and whispers to William, 'Kill Coil'." )

OOC: Why the suppression? :twisted:
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:(OOC I'm forced to suppress my 'Evil GM' reflexes, which are currently urging me to write "Junetta leans in very closely, and whispers to William, 'Kill Coil'." )

OOC: Why the suppression? :twisted:

OOC ...and the kitty he rode in on... er... did I say that aloud ? :oops: ..... ;) :twisted: /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC: Why the suppression? :twisted:

(Because Junetta's actual, in-character response must be:)

Junetta shrugs, and responds, "I am a loyal unit of King Creperum. If any of my resources, my mount included, can benefit our side, I have no doubt that our King or Chief Warlord will inform me as to where it may best be used, and I shall willingly obey. If Tod decrees, my mount is yours. No exchange is required."
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 am

OOC:

Aww. How cute. And disappointing. /OOC

(IC)

Duty is fine but duty with initiative is better. Remember my offer caster. You may want to actively pursue it one day.

Assuming this exchange occurred in such a way that I know for sure Triage found out about it, and assuming Triage has nothing else of interest to say, I'd bid the casters, and Wandereus, good night.

I now need to see Tod about a capture mission, since I noticed I'm not part of it. Let's see if he decided my one shot croaks are necessary after all, given the possible threats along the way.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC: Aww. How cute. And disappointing. /OOC
(What can I say. Your side paid for the full Turnamancy. :D She won't do or suggest anything that might not be in the side's best interests.)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am

OOC:

Well, should the healers keep doing what they're doing, they're bound to get on the boop-list of Tenebris' scariest unit, who's very much not neutered by Turnamancy.

They may need the help of T's second (or third, depending what you count) with that.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am

OOC:

On an unrelated note, I'm fairly sure the XP count has not been updated in the ref thread, as I had 53XP@William before the latest battle.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Exate » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

MarbitChow/Swodaems, are we just dropping the Thinkamancy conversation between Tod, Yuri, and the King, or did I miss your latest responses there?
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 am

Exate wrote:MarbitChow/Swodaems, are we just dropping the Thinkamancy conversation between Tod, Yuri, and the King, or did I miss your latest responses there?
I was under the impression that the call was concluded. The King conveyed his intentions, Yuri accepted the position, and that was that. Was there something else you wanted to discuss with him?
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games