household/common objects that can be stated for gameing

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

household/common objects that can be stated for gameing

Postby Winged » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:59 am

After incountering erfworld for the first time I breifly thought about what it would be like to play a game where I already have all of the peices, a game where instead of feilding goblins or knights, I feilded rubberbands and or pens, where my combanation of hackysacks, and origami cranes can go to war with armies composed of chia pets and marbles.

Here is the basic idea, compile an extencive list of houshold objects, bottle caps, rubix cubes, stuff that people will have, and then stat those objects as units, with the goal being that once a person learns the rules, they can play almost any place at any time, just with stuff they have with them anyway.

What are your oppinions of the idea, how would you improve it, and please if you can spare it, guidlines for scailing or even creating stats would be welcomed. Oh and of course please submit objects with stats if you want.
Winged

Re: household/common objects that can be stated for gameing

Postby Unclever title » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:31 am

I think it's a great idea in principle, but that the rules will likely be tricky to figure out and probably need to be flexible.

:ugeek: One thing I'm thinking here is playing surfaces. Considering we're talking about a range of items with different sizes the playing surface would likely also be flexible, if there is one at all. So how does one define the movement of pieces? I'm thinking here if there is a convenient pseudo game board (or an actual game board of some kind) then just use that like a checkered tablecloth or the tile pattern on a floor or rug or something. However since there are many locations that lack that sort of thing, I'd suggest getting a ruler or measuring tape and using a defined unit of measure to define the movement of pieces.

As for guidelines on creating stats, well there's the obvious stuff such as pointy object has higher damage (of a piercing type if you go that specific) than a blunt one. Batteries have a large amount of "Mana," but can't cast most spells on their own. They probably can cast spells like acid (higher damage with lower HP), and spark (low damage unless enhanced by an accompanying item). You get the idea. I'd use stuff know about the physical object both for inspiration and also for restrictions.

Develop a point system that restricts: damage and health based stats by size and weight of the object, movement and attack speed based stats by shape and friction (a ball would be able to move further than a brick of the same mass), special abilities and "mental" attributes based on properties of the object's use such as a battery's voltage, estimated lifespan, whether or not it's rechargeable, etc.

All of those restrictions should be relative and estimated for ease of use on the fly.

With this information a bowling ball would be a massive and swift deliverer of destruction, a rake (this is getting particularly stretching) would have little ability to move but have an incredible attack reach and very high wide range damage however it would take several turns between attacks and the chance for very small units to avoid damage completely (happening to be in the gaps), pens and pencils would be able to mark opponents for an increased chance to hit and cause poison damage upon striking.

There's also the dynamic of adding and combining items for greater use, a pen and paper for an intelligence boost add a calculator for reduced spell cost, put the batteries into a laser pointer (incorrect size or type involves a small penalty) and you've got an unlimited range magic attack toss in a small mirror or other reflective surface and you can redirect that attack MUCH more easily.

All in all be creative anything that changes light, uses electricity, magnets, produces flame, etc is magic and treated accordingly. A lighter has a limited mana pool whereas a magnet casts a constant area of effect spell. A cylindrical object might have two different modes of movement: standing low move but stronger defense and attack, and rolling on its side able to cover more ground but can't crush its opponents with the same force.

Dang, I want to play this game now. :D
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: household/common objects that can be stated for gameing

Postby Doktor Jones » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 pm

For attacks and abilities, the xT indicates an approximate cooldown time during which the attack cannot be used. With "shared" cooldowns, initiating one attack/ability invokes cooldown for all attacks/abilities with shared cooldowns (and thus none can be used until cooldown finishes). I'm specifying cost, damage, move and HP just as (very)high/low or medium, as this will take more tweaking to ensure balance.

I'm thinking certain body types should have resistance to certain things, i.e. metal objects have resistance to piercing/slashing.

Soldering iron
High cost
Heat damage (high, 4-7T)
Piercing damage (low, 0T)
Ability: Fuse metal units (benign) (10-15T shared) - combined units function as one, with combined HP, all attacks/abilities (non-stacking, use highest cooldown), all resistances, only vulnerabilities that units share, and highest move. Cannot use on previously fused units
Ability: Fuse metal units (malevolent) (10-15T shared) - combined units function as one, with combined HP, take attacks from "first" unit (declared by attacker), all vulnerabilities, only resistances that units share, and lowest move. Cannot use on previously fused units
Resistance to heat
Low move
Moderate HP

Xacto knife
Low cost
Slashing damage (high, 0T)
Piercing damage (medium, 1T)
Resistance to slashing/piercing
Medium move
Moderate HP

Pocket flashlight
Low cost
Heat damage (low, 3-5T)
Energy damage (medium, medium range, 0T)
Medium move
Moderate HP

Credit card
Very high cost
Slashing damage (low, 0T)
Ability: Requisition unit (5-8T) - bring another unit of high or lower cost into play without paying cost.
Vulnerability to magnetism
Medium move
Low HP

Sunglasses
Low cost
Blunt damage (low, 0T)
Resistance to energy
Reflective variants can reflect energy attacks
Vulnerability to blunt
Medium move
Low HP

Nail clippers
Very low cost
Slashing damage (low, 0T)
Resistance to slashing/piercing
HIgh move
High HP

Salt shaker
Very low cost
Blunt damage (very low, 0T)
Ability: deal high damage to wounded units (short range, 3-5T)
Vulnerability to blunt
Low move
Moderate HP

Pepper shaker
Very low cost
Ability: stun organic units (short range, 3-5T) - unit may not move, attack, or use ability for 1 turn
Vulnerability to blunt
Low move
Moderate HP
[organic units are those that contain organic compounds - food, cotton, paper, leather, etc]

Remote control
High cost
Energy damage (medium, medium range, 2-4T)
Ability: control electronic unit (medium range, 5-7T) - take control of unit for 1 turn
Vulnerability to blunt
Low move
Moderate HP
[electronic units are those that require power and have buttons]

Glue gun
Medium cost
Heat damage (medium, 1T)
Ability: hold unit (short range, 4-6T) - unit may not move for 5 turns (unit may still attack or use abilities)
Low move
Moderate HP

Cell phone
Very high cost
Energy damage (medium, long range, 1T)
Ability: Summon unit (2T) - bring additional unit into play beyond normal maximum (per-turn max or unit cap?); must still pay cost
Medium move
Moderate HP

Screwdriver
Very low cost
Piercing damage (medium, 0T)
Blunt damage (low, 0T)
Medium move
Medium HP
Doktor Jones

Return to Your Games