No forum without text rp. Or... no REAL forum.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: No forum without text rp. Or... no REAL forum.

Postby Trilby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 pm

What if, the players are a mercenaries, working for sides, and fighting alongside troops from the sides they where hired from. Thus, we can include the RTS elements and the RPG elements. Also, maybe in twists of the story, the players may end up with sides they belong to, or promoted to warlords. Also, I want in.
I am Trilby the Haberdasher, Master-Class Hattamancer,
Trilby

Postby Daemonwelsh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:56 am

Trilby wrote:What if, the players are a mercenaries, working for sides, and fighting alongside troops from the sides they where hired from. Thus, we can include the RTS elements and the RPG elements. Also, maybe in twists of the story, the players may end up with sides they belong to, or promoted to warlords. Also, I want in.

I like that idea, but I still think we should have some players who dictate entire sides...
just so that it isn't all on our GM. also, I want to be a merc.
a bat merc!
More Dakka
Daemonwelsh

Postby DevilDan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 pm

What about palace intrigue? The players play warlords and casters—and possibly a minion or two—on a single side?

Admittedly, there would likely be less combat and more talking and scheming, which is actually fine by me.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Rizban » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Palace intrigue does sound fun. What if we limit it to only two sides? Each side would have their own "Side X Only" thread for internal politicking and then a common war thread for fighting out the battles. Then there could also be some people either functioning as barbarians or as other sides that help out one of the two mains for a price.
Rizban

Postby DevilDan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 pm

That's a thought: two sides. That gives room for several people. Maybe even a mercenary side, a la Charlie.

Though I know the idea is to play it here, has anyone seen this?

Google Wave: we came, we saw, we played D&D
Give a bunch of computer geeks a new medium to play around in, and you could probably guess that the first thing they'd think to do with it is... no, not that, we're talking role-playing games.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 ... yed-dd.ars
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Daemonwelsh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

so lets take a vote on the two sides, with freelance mercenaries.
aye for going
nay for thinking of something else.

and the Google wave needs invites, so unless someone can do that, we aren't really going to gain access.
however when it opens up it does look like a good idea.

btw, I am on the Aye side of things.
More Dakka
Daemonwelsh

Postby Crovius » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Aye for two sides with possibility of playing as mercs.

Also, who should we vote as GM? With two sides and mercs, the sides can't kow what the other side is doing.
Crovius

Postby DevilDan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm an aye, I guess.

Depending on the number of takers, we may have to cut it to one capital side playing alongside a merc group. Why this configuration? Because it gives cater players the chance to be a little more independent. Otherwise they might get stuck following orders all turn long.

Hmmm... should be fun to codify the magic system. Thank the Titans that we now know what a few other types of casters do, if only vaguely.

I don't have much experience DM-ing, but I'd be happy to work with someone else when it comes to the design/writing. I've got a few ideas on how to implement loyalty/duty.
DevilDan

Postby Crovius » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I actually have figured out what a majority of the mancies do, in theory. And at least half of them hav ebeen expressed in one way or another of what the mancy is capable of.
Crovius

Postby DevilDan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Crovius wrote:I actually have figured out what a majority of the mancies do, in theory. And at least half of them hav ebeen expressed in one way or another of what the mancy is capable of.

Oh, I wouldn't have suggested using any 'mancies on which we didn't have at least some information. But consider thinkamancy: ephedra, thinkagrams, links, Maggie's hoboken, etcetera: lots of spells for a single thankamantic discipline. Turnamancers can accelerate unit development and can convert units. Sizemore can dig through solid rock, attract gems, create and repair golems... there's so much there!
DevilDan

Postby Rizban » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 am

The problem with cutting it to one side and mercs is, who do they fight? Are we going to be reliant on a single DM, or even two, to provide all the information of a second side to fight against? If we end up with multiple people running a side for the sake of enemies, then why allow players to play on that side as well? Seems pretty reasonable to me anyway...
Rizban

Postby Crovius » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:37 pm

You mean like have the players beign warlords and casters, but their Overlord is controlled by the GM? Cause i could work that. Then players can choose which side,a nd player versus player combat would be really fun.
Crovius

Postby DevilDan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Rizban wrote:The problem with cutting it to one side and mercs is, who do they fight? Are we going to be reliant on a single DM, or even two, to provide all the information of a second side to fight against? If we end up with multiple people running a side for the sake of enemies, then why allow players to play on that side as well? Seems pretty reasonable to me anyway...

It depends on the number of people who join. I like the idea of mercs because it lets casters be relatively free and because a third party is desirable.

Crovius wrote:You mean like have the players beign warlords and casters, but their Overlord is controlled by the GM? Cause i could work that. Then players can choose which side,a nd player versus player combat would be really fun.

Yes, it obviously makes sense to have an NPC overlord.
DevilDan

Postby Crovius » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Ok, so we need to decide on a few things, mianly: How detaield will character building be? Does every stat need a number, or can we be vague on some things?

Combat will be determined by numbers, but like Parson said about Ansom, don't just focus on addition, multiplying factors are important. I'd rather not deal with random numbers. And I can crunch some big numbers. You got a hex with 8 full stacks of infantry and a full stack of calvalry, a leadership bonus, terrain advantage, and the enemy's morale is low? I can figure out all the numbers, determine the outcome, and give you an entertaining result. Reading about the outcome isn't as impressive as seeing a comic strip of what happens, but it keeps the game from just being a bunch of numbers.

Am I making sense?
Crovius

Postby Daemonwelsh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Crovius wrote:Ok, so we need to decide on a few things, mianly: How detaield will character building be? Does every stat need a number, or can we be vague on some things?

Combat will be determined by numbers, but like Parson said about Ansom, don't just focus on addition, multiplying factors are important. I'd rather not deal with random numbers. And I can crunch some big numbers. You got a hex with 8 full stacks of infantry and a full stack of calvalry, a leadership bonus, terrain advantage, and the enemy's morale is low? I can figure out all the numbers, determine the outcome, and give you an entertaining result. Reading about the outcome isn't as impressive as seeing a comic strip of what happens, but it keeps the game from just being a bunch of numbers.

Am I making sense?

some stats will need numbers attached.
like movement, hit, defense, and juice.
most others will prolly just be vague, up to the DM as they see fit.
More Dakka
Daemonwelsh

Postby Crovius » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Ok, So I need a list of units so that I can start stating them all out.

Natural allies I'll start on include:
Marbits
-Axemen
-Crossbowmen
Gobwins
-Stabbers
-Pikemen
-Archers
Hobgobwins
-Axemen
-Knights
Spidews
-Unmounted
-Mounted
Elves
-Woodsy
-Shady
-Eager
-Luckless
-Schlemiel
-Lofty
-Altruist
-Superflous
-Tardy
Giant
Dwagons
-Red
-Blue
-Yellow
-Green
-Purple
-Pink
-Black

Also, most units are either Infantry(broken in stabber, archer, piker and knight), heavies, casters and warlords. Calvalry is actually just an infantry capable of mounting, on a heavy that allows being ridden. I'll work everything out some way or another. I can track a lot of data here at work thanks to having a database that I can run numbers through. If you have specific units you intend to control, let me know and I'lls tat it out. So far, there are 2 sides, unnamed, and a mercenary side. (Note: A mercenary is technically a barbarian. You have no capital and live in no city, but have a ruler that is alive and thus you can form alliances.)
Crovius

Postby Crovius » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Erfworld Units: All units posted are at Level 1, assuming the game involves cities being several turns away from eachother, sides can earn several thousand schmukers every turn, and combat is a large scale event that involves anywhere from a handful of units on each side up to huge armies of
units numbering in the thousands. All references to Erfwolrd are trademark of Robert T. Balder.

Marbits: Small, pinkish humanoids who are exceptional at mining. They have a deep hatred for Gobwins and Hobgobwins, as well as Witches and Daemons. Marbits can be Natural Allies.

Axemen - Move: 7 Hits: 2 Combat: 3 Defense: 1 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 3 Schmukers: 10
Description: Light Humanoid Infantry
Abilities: Tunnel Fighting, Tunneler

Crossbow - Move: 7 Hits: 1 Combat: 2 Defense: 0 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 2 Schmukers: 8
Description: Light Humanoid Archer
Abilities: Tunnel Fighting, Tunneler, Can Attack Flying

Gobwins: Half the size of Men, with green skin and fangs. Good at mining and can be Natural Allies.
Hate Marbits and Elves.

Stabber - Move: 7 Hits: 2 Combat: 4 Defense: 1 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 3 Schmukers: 11
Abilities: Tunnel Fighting

Pikeman - Move: 7 Hits: 2 Combat: 3 Defense: 2 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 3 Schmukers: 9

Archer - Move: 7 Hits: 1 Combat: 3 Defense: 1 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 2 Schmukers: 8

Hobgobwins: Orange skinned humanoids, slightly taller than Men. Natural allies, hate Marbits and Elves.

Guard - Move: 8 Hits: 4 Combat: 5 Defense: 3 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 5 Schmukers: 27
Abilities: None

Knight - Move: 9 Hits: 7 Combat: 7 Defense: 4 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 9 Schmukers: 40
Abilities: None

Spidew: These arachnids can fight without a rider, or can be used as mounts. Despite their size they can fit inside tunnels just fine.

Unmounted - Move: 14 Hits: 6 Combat: 5 Defense: 3 Juice: 2 Upkeep: 8 Schmukers: 32
Description: Non-humanoid Heavy Mount
Abilities: Poison, Tunnel Capable

When mounted the mount's move is used , but attacks can hit either the mount or the rider. Also, both the mount and it's rider can attack. This rule applies to all mounts unless stated in their specific entry.

Elves: There are great variety of elves, each with its own appearance and distinct abilities. They tend to be about Man sized, though some are slightly larger. Most types have only one thing they specialize in (such as all Woodsy elves being Archers, all Altruist elves have some kind of healing Infantry) but a few elves have Infantry, Archers,a nd possibly Casters. No elves will ally with a side that has Gobwins, Hobgobwins, Witches or Daemons.

Woodsy Elves: Slim, brown-skinned humanoids as tall as giants with small heads and large, pointed ears. Have an advantage in Forest terrain and can be Natural Allies. Despise Gobwins, Hobgobwins, Witches and Daemons.

Move: 8 Hits: 3 Combat: 4 Defence: 3 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 4 Schmukers: 12
Abilities: Forest Capable, Can Hit Flying, + 2 Combat + 1 Defence in Forest

Shady Elves: Medium-sized humanoids with pale skin, pointed ears and clothed in dark, gothic regalia. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight with Gobwins, Hobgobwins, Witches or Daemons.

Move: 7 Hits: 2 Combat: 3 Defence: 2 Juice: 2 Upkeep: 3 Schmukers: 9 (27 with naughtymancy)
Abilities: Can Hit Flying, Novice Naughtymancy - 2% of units popped will be able to cast Lv 1 Naughtymancy spells.

Eager Elves: Medium-sized humanoids with pointed ears dressed in brightly coloured tunics and caps.
Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Gobwins, Hobgobwins, Witches or Daemons.

Description: Light Humanoid Stabber-class Infantry
Move: 8 Hits: 3 Combat: 3 Defence: 1 Juice: 0 Upkeep: 2 Schmukers: 8
Abilities: Eager Elves deal hits first in combat regardless of whos turn. Also +1 to Combat when Eager Elves are the attackers.

Lofty Elves: Tall humanoids that are close in physical appearance to Woodsy Elves. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Description: Light Humanoid Caster
Move: 7 Hits: 1 Combat: 1 Defence: 1 Juice: 3 Upkeep: 2 Schmukers: 10 (12 with Healing)
Abilities: Novice Healing - 80% of all Lofty Elves have access to basic Healing magic.

Altruist Elves: Plump medium-sized humanoids that share physical traits with other Elves, but wear plain white nurse uniforms. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Description: Light Humanoid Caster
Move: 5 Hits: 1 Combat: 0 Defence: 1 Juice: 5 Upkeep: 2 Schmukers: 8
Abilities: Light, Practiced Healing - All Altruist Elves have access to Healing magic up to the 3rd circle.

Superfluous Elves: Slim, medium-sized humanoids with pale skin and floppy fringes often spotted wearing t-shirts and tight jeans. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Move: 7 Hits: 1 Combat: 1 Defence: 1 Upkeep: 1 Schmukers: 4
Abilities: Reserve - Allies in the same Hex as a full squad of Superflous Elves gain +1 Combat because they know that the Superflous Elves are there to back them up if need be.

Schlemiel Elves: Small humanoids with pointed ears and thin, reedy comb overs. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Move: 7 Hits: 1 Combat: 1 Defence: 1 Upkeep: 1 Schmukers: 3
Abilities: Sharp senses - Schlemiel Evlves have sharp senses of hearing, sight and smell and can redo checks to notice hidden enemies if the first check fails.

Luckless Elves: Small humanoids with pointed ears and long, curled hair. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Move: 5 Hits: 1 Combat: 1 Defence: 0 Upkeep: 0 Schmukers: 2
Abilities: Fodder - Luckless Elves will take all the hits targetted at the hex they are in before any hits are dealt to other units. Only an enemy Warlord's Presence can counter this.

Tardy Elves: Slim, medium-sized humanoids with floppy fringes often spotted wearing t-shirts and tight jeans. Can be Natural Allies, yet they will refuse to fight alongside Goblins, Hobgoblins, Witches or Daemons.

Description: Light Humanoid Piker-Class Infantry
Move: 4 Hits: 4 Combat: 4 Defence: 3 Upkeep: 3 Schmukers: 8
Abilities: Lazy - Tardy Elves have a 50% chance to not move at all each turn.
Last edited by Crovius on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crovius

Postby Daemonwelsh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:56 am

how about bats?
I don't see stats for them.
they are not even on your list.
More Dakka
Daemonwelsh

Postby Rizban » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:35 am

All Gobwins need Tunneler ability.

Gobwin Archers need Can Attack Flying.

Hobgobwin Knights need "Rider" ability or something similar to indicate ability to ride a mount.

Spidews need "Mount" ability, unless mount is a type rather than ability.

Bats aren't natural allies, which is what Crovius has been posting. Bats are a specific unit of Transylvito. I'd suggest something like this though:

Bats - Move: 10 Hits: 1 Combat: 1 Defense: 1 Upkeep: 1 Schmukers
Description: Light Animal
Abilities: Flying, Distraction (requires 10+ Bats)

Abilities
Distraction: -1 Combat and -1 Defense to engaged enemy stack. Unit does no damage when it uses this ability.
Rizban

Postby Crovius » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Archers are assumed to have Can hit Fliers, I'll be sure to add Tunneler to Gobwins,. Mount is a unit type (look at Spidews Description, it's a Heavy Mount) and It is assumed all Light humanoids can ride on a mount.
Crovius

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games