Wiki:Could "Random Page" overlook panel pages?

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

Wiki:Could "Random Page" overlook panel pages?

Postby Rekov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 pm

I was wondering if it was possible for the Random Page link on the wiki to bypass the hundreds of wiki pages about specific panels of specific erfworld pages. It is impossible to browse other pages randomly due to the sheer number of these panel pages.
Rekov
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Re: Wiki:Could "Random Page" overlook panel pages?

Postby harknell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Hmm, I'm no expert on wiki hacks. Does anyone know if there is a way to exclude certain pages from this function?
Webmaster for the comic Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos: http://www.onezumi.com
Webmaster for the comic Erfworld: http://www.erfworld.com
harknell
Site Admin

Postby SteveMB » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 pm

According to the description on MediaWiki, putting those pages into a custom namespace would remove them from the "random page" mix (which only uses the main namespace).

(Addendum: To remove pages from the "random" search, they should be in a namespace that is not defined as a "content" namespace.)

That said, before doing anything we ought to find out from the people who wrote the templates used in the page-view and frame-view pages whether or not moving these pages to a new namespace would break stuff. :?:
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Rekov » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Does anyone know who these people are? Are the forums the appropriate way to contact these people, or is there a way to do it in the wiki itself?
Rekov
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby doran » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 am

MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 am

The word I've gotten is:

Ichthus wrote:There might have to be some tweaking on the templates to get them to work, but it shouldn't do anything major. We'd just be adding in a namespace tag in the middle of the URL like changing [[TBFGK 138:3]] to [[Comic:TBFGK_138:3]]. So links would be updated (and the auto-generated links in the pages). So, figure a week or two of upheaval while things get moved and then it should be fine. --Ichthus

There's still some housekeeping stuff (i.e. category tagging) to be done on the panel pages. Once that's done, we can figure out exactly how to work out the details to minimize the upheaval and then request a new (I suppose the name would be "Comic") namespace for the page/frame/text pages to separate them out and allow them to be separately searched and random-accessed.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby raphfrk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:11 pm

SteveMB wrote:There's still some housekeeping stuff (i.e. category tagging) to be done on the panel pages. Once that's done, we can figure out exactly how to work out the details to minimize the upheaval and then request a new (I suppose the name would be "Comic") namespace for the page/frame/text pages to separate them out and allow them to be separately searched and random-accessed.

There are quite a few files to move. Each panel (say average 6 per page) has associated pages. There would probably be 1000+ pages to move. Does a moved page still count as a redirect in the old namespace?

Anyway, if a page is created as "Comic: xyz", does that put it into the "Comic" namespace? I was under the impression that admin level support is required for additional name spaces.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ichthus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 pm

raphfrk wrote:There are quite a few files to move. Each panel (say average 6 per page) has associated pages. There would probably be 1000+ pages to move. Does a moved page still count as a redirect in the old namespace?

Anyway, if a page is created as "Comic: xyz", does that put it into the "Comic" namespace? I was under the impression that admin level support is required for additional name spaces.

More like 8 panels per page. Estimate around 2000-3000 pages if you include the subpages. The question is if you move a main page if the subpages will move along with it. If so, the moves should go much faster. If not, then you can do the math.

Also, just because you create a comic with the "Comic:" prefix, doesn't create the namespace. Creating a namespace must be done in the config files of the wiki. You should be able to do the rest of it ahead of time though (should... I'm not an expert on MediaWiki, I've just done a little research at times) in case people want to get it moving.
Ichthus

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Ichthus wrote:Also, just because you create a comic with the "Comic:" prefix, doesn't create the namespace. Creating a namespace must be done in the config files of the wiki. You should be able to do the rest of it ahead of time though (should... I'm not an expert on MediaWiki, I've just done a little research at times) in case people want to get it moving.

If I'm reading it correctly, the "Dealing with existing pages" section of the Custom Namespaces help page indicates that renaming pages ahead of time (before the new namespace is created) may complicate things.
SteveMB

Postby Ichthus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 am

SteveMB wrote:If I'm reading it correctly, the "Dealing with existing pages" section of the Custom Namespaces help page indicates that renaming pages ahead of time (before the new namespace is created) may complicate things.

Good to know. So, we've just got to wait on Harknell to add a namespace for that. I've also suggested that a Fandom namespace be added at the same time to toss any fan-created information into its own namespace. That way the base namespace is for pure Canonical article information, comics go into their own, and fandom goes into its own. As you can see on my user page, you can create a 'random' link for any of the namespaces if each of those want something of that nature.
Ichthus

Postby Ichthus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:16 pm

I hate to thread bump, but it'd be nice to be able to organize some of this.

Namespace requests:

Fanon or fan-created type stuff. That way there is the 'canon' namespace and then a seperate 'fanon' namespace

Comic namespace. This is for all of the panels, dialogue, and descriptions of the Page Annotation project.
Ichthus

Postby Rekov » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Wondering if this was still being looked into. The problem is getting worse as more pages are added.
Rekov
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Return to Suggestions/Requests