The Order of the Stick

Mind if we put this first?

Re: The Order of the Stick

Postby Vare » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am

Currently I'm wondering whether or not Xykon can just blow himself up then regenerate at wherever the phylactory is.
Sure beats searching for it by hand. =|
Vare

Postby jioan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Vare wrote:Currently I'm wondering whether or not Xykon can just blow himself up then regenerate at wherever the phylactory is.

He might get killed by something when in this very prone position. For instance what if it went into the Sewer dungeon? It could be in the belly of a fish right now.
jioan

Postby Sethram » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 am

Vare wrote:Currently I'm wondering whether or not Xykon can just blow himself up then regenerate at wherever the phylactory is.

I love how newer comics often answer a lot of these questions. Xykon didn't want to be regenerating in a snake's stomach. I know there's a lot of speculation in our neighbouring forums about just what the MitD is now, though I'm leaning toward Pit Fiend since it can use Wish as a SLA once a year. As far as I know, that's one of the only ways one can teleport other people without touching them to another place without teleporting oneself as well.
Sethram

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah, I had a theory as to what the MitD was, but the teleporting kind of throws a wrench into it.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Prometheus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am

My guess is that MitD is some kind of elemental prince (probably earth). They often have very strong magical abilities.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Lord of Extinction » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, Xykon said it was time for him to do something. Maybe we'll finally get to see what MitD is. (Somehow I doubt it, though).

You'd think Xykon would use him to find the phylactery but who knows. heh.
Lord of Extinction

Postby jioan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Lord of Extinction wrote:Well, Xykon said it was time for him to do something. Maybe we'll finally get to see what MitD is. (Somehow I doubt it, though).

You'd think Xykon would use him to find the phylactery but who knows. heh.

No it won't happen unless the Oots members are present because MitD will only be revealed at the climax. And how can you have a climax without an epic battle between the PCs and their archvillian.
jioan

Postby Doctari » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 am

It's unlikely that the MitD is any type of prime evil simply because it has good leanings. Hard to imagine a pit fiend either caring about a paladin.. actually scratch that. Its a pit fiend and its a black and white D&D world. So it is, by definition, EVIL.

I imagine that it is rather some homebrew creature (Rich is a game designer after all), or some neutral creature that Xy captured as baby and raised.

It would be interesting if it were some good dragon that he caught as an egg and experimented on etc. Though dragons are pretty overused there :/.
Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal.
Doctari

Postby Bobby Archer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:28 pm

The MitD is supposed to be incredibly scary, though. It's leanings toward Good seem to be more of an exception to the rule than emblematic of its breed. And my bet is that it'll be something that is either from one version or another of D&D, or something that's based off something in the strip itself (a third lawyer, for instance). It's a lot less of a reveal to say that "it's a Qwertius Monster(you're supposed to be afraid of this)", than to say "it's a pit fiend".
Uncroaked for Hire

Bobby Archer

Postby Doctari » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:The MitD is supposed to be incredibly scary, though. It's leanings toward Good seem to be more of an exception to the rule than emblematic of its breed. And my bet is that it'll be something that is either from one version or another of D&D, or something that's based off something in the strip itself (a third lawyer, for instance). It's a lot less of a reveal to say that "it's a Qwertius Monster(you're supposed to be afraid of this)", than to say "it's a pit fiend".

Good point. I can't help but wish it was a 3rd lawyer though....
Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal.
Doctari

Postby jioan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:47 am

My bet is MitD will never be revealed. No creature will satisfy all our imaginations. If it's a third lawyer then those who think its an incredibly powerful monster of sorts will be disappointed. Rich might just keep him a mystery so we can have discussions such as this.
jioan

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I bet, inside the box, he's a smaller box.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Bobby Archer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:I bet, inside the box, he's a smaller box.

That's thinking outside the box.

jioan wrote:My bet is MitD will never be revealed. No creature will satisfy all our imaginations. If it's a third lawyer then those who think its an incredibly powerful monster of sorts will be disappointed. Rich might just keep him a mystery so we can have discussions such as this.

I doubt that, personally. Rich has said that he's got the overarching plot planned out through to the end of the comic. If the comic was to continue on indefinitely, I'd buy eternally keeping us in suspense. The comic ending without revealing the horrible monster would be a bigger letdown than a creature that didn't quite meet expectations.
Uncroaked for Hire

Bobby Archer

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 pm

I know what the MitD is. The monster is unbeatable. It's an otherwise unseen force, second to none. So it's obviously
Spoiler: show
Keith Baker.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby jioan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am

The linear guild returns...

That would have made me happy awhile ago, but since they abandoned Leaky Windstaff I don't like them anymore.
jioan

Postby Sandis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 am

Yay! I thought they'd be coming back! But it looks like there's no chance of seeing Hylda, though. :(
Avatar by Muzzafar, thanks for letting me use it!

http://mirita.mybrute.com
Sandis

Previous

Return to Internet and Webcomics