Book 2 – Text Updates 007

Postby balder » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:35 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 007

Postby President_Allosaurus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Things We Have Learned:

1. Haggar was going to betray Jetstone
2. Now that Ossomer has fallen, they are rethinking that.
3. Haggar is really good at dance-fighting.
President_Allosaurus

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:53 pm

truly, Haggar is a a quarrelsome, vexing neighbor. But they apparently know how to rock. And rock is the highest music there is. Prince Sammy will be a powerful enemy for GK. And Ansom only has chorus-line dance-fight? It's time for some intervention by the tool himself. Only rock can beat rock. Because rock rocks.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby HailGreen28 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:56 pm

The update, the fleshing out of Haggar, ROCK ON!! Thought they would be shallow throw-away enemy. NOBODY seems to be a throwaway in this story.
HailGreen28

Postby KyleEverett » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:59 pm

I want Erfworld the Movie only for the dance fighting scenes.

You should do suggested music more often.
KyleEverett

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Meh.

Don't hold too much hope for Sammy being too important in the story to come. He's only been named to highlight puns between various bits of this update and song titles on that lala.com site (check the link).

Some would find that funny, but meh.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Raza » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Nice to have someone in the comic representing my opinion of Ossomer.

President_Allosaurus wrote:Things We Have Learned:

1. Haggar was going to betray Jetstone
2. Now that Ossomer has fallen, they are rethinking that.

I think that's not it. They're worried that their presence will discourage GK from attacking at all, which would mean they screwed themselves out of the opportunity they'd been waiting for. It'd be an awkward position for them if things dragged out for another turn and they were actually undeniably in time to help, with no mess around to take advantage of.

HailGreen28 wrote:The update, the fleshing out of Haggar, ROCK ON!! Thought they would be shallow throw-away enemy. NOBODY seems to be a throwaway in this story.

I like this. Carpool showed it once already. Hopefully we'll see sides like Jiterati, Foxmud and Hobbitm take the spotlight in their own moments of glory.
Last edited by Raza on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raza

Postby Xorbon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Nice. Sammy Haggar. I liked all those rock references.
Xorbon

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Raza wrote:I like this. Carpool showed it once already. Hopefully we'll see sides like Jiterati, Foxmud and Hobbitm take the spotlight in their own moments of glory.

"Moments of glory" would be the correct way to handle this. We've already got GK's perspective, Wanda's perspective, Jillian's, Jetstone's, Transylvito's, maybe even Charlie's ...

Right now, if something happened it could be dragged on for nigh-on forever simply by *event* *strip showing reaction at GK* *strip showing Wanda, in a threatening mood* *strip showing Jillian, doubtful* *my love, our romance must be secret* *Tremennis telling archers how to react* *Charlie*. It's even worse than a DBZ episode.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Miasmark » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 pm

This is probably a classic maneuver, but the problem is that the rules have changed. Divide and conquer doesn't work quite as well when one side can just absorb the other.
Miasmark

Postby Manoftyr » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Hrrrrmn, interesting; we know that Wanda's stack can take Sammy's column as of now, but I'm curious as to whether or not they'd be able to stand up to them after sacking Jetstone?

Decryption can cover losses but I would think that most of the losses incurred by hitting Jetstone via air would be taken via air defenses and the like, heck, Jetstone may barely have any units in the city; they may not get enough back via decryption to cover their losses and if they incur particularly heavy losses Sammy may be able to swing his column around on the next turn and take Wanda out, or at the very least inflict some heavy losses and nab the city while Wanda makes an escape.

Couple that with Jillian showing up around the same time or shortly thereafter and Wanda may end up royally booping herself.
Manoftyr

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Rock on!

Prince Sammy might well be able to match Stanley one on one. But if Stanley brings the Knights in Stanley's Service, Sammy is going to need his own backing. perhaps he'll have them hauled in a van.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:35 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Raza wrote:I like this. Carpool showed it once already. Hopefully we'll see sides like Jiterati, Foxmud and Hobbitm take the spotlight in their own moments of glory.

"Moments of glory" would be the correct way to handle this. We've already got GK's perspective, Wanda's perspective, Jillian's, Jetstone's, Transylvito's, maybe even Charlie's ...

We have not had Wanda's Perspective yet.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:We have not had Wanda's Perspective yet.

Not as in different side just yet (or ever, titans forbid). But notice how significant events in this Book show reactions on the front (Wanda's "perspective") and "at home" (GK).
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby The Shadow » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Only rock can beat rock. Because rock rocks.

Nonsense! You are forgetting, in the immortal words of a certain elven wizard, "one of the oldest truisms in warfare".

Also, I disagree that Sammy's very punny introduction means he will be playing no significant role in the subsequent story. Otherwise we'd have to say the same of King Slately himself, no? And Stanley the Tool, too.
The Shadow
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:21 pm

The Shadow wrote:Also, I disagree that Sammy's very punny introduction means he will be playing no significant role in the subsequent story. Otherwise we'd have to say the same of King Slately himself, no? And Stanley the Tool, too.

Stanley the Tool was a pun? :? I mean, the Tool part sure, but Stanley? Anyways, what next? There's a billion punny sides on Erfworld already, like say the pants-themed one. Do we REALLY want all of those to hold focus? It's bad enough as it is with all we've already seen ... btw I forgot the Magic Kingdom in my previous list ... for the love of naughty just get on with it!

(PS: dangit that link ain't visible enough in my window. Oh well, underlined, clicky)
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sinrus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:35 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Also, I disagree that Sammy's very punny introduction means he will be playing no significant role in the subsequent story. Otherwise we'd have to say the same of King Slately himself, no? And Stanley the Tool, too.

Stanley the Tool was a pun? :? I mean, the Tool part sure, but Stanley?

Named after a member of KISS (lead singer/guitarist?), and of course that's what the Knights In Stanley's Service are based on.

Anyway, I like this update. It proves what I have maintained all along, that Haggar plans on betraying Jetstone. Unfortunately, it doesn't clear up whether Trammennis or Ossomer is Crown Prince. It says that Ossomer was, but I doubt that he still is.
Sinrus

Postby The Shadow » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:38 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Stanley the Tool was a pun? :? I mean, the Tool part sure, but Stanley?

Yes, yes it was. EDIT: And no, it's not just KISS. That's yet *another* layer of punnery.

I'm not saying I want each individual side to be incredibly detailed or to have the same focus. I'm only saying that the fact Sammy's got a whole series of puns to his name already doesn't mean he's a throwaway.

And anyway, little touches make all the difference. Haggar has a personality now, and that's all to the good in my opinion.
The Shadow

Postby Infidel » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Suggested listening is win.

Also, could we not do an itemization of "things learned this update." It seems overly critical and a bit disrespectful. The goal of each update is to entertain, not necessarily to educate. So itemizing "things learned this update." creates an unreasonable expectation that an update is lacking if it doesn't convey something new.

Besides, these "things learned" list hardly cover all the things learned, only what the person was observant enough to notice. Sometimes the things learned don't become obvious for many pages or chapters later. And there are two "things learned" that I saw no mention of. Coded messages, and a capital under attack cannot send messages to allies. I assume this refers to hatamancy, not thinkamancy.

edit- ahh and coded messages. Apparently GK is not the only ones working under the umbrella of operational security. Apparently, the allies either know or suspect Charlie can hack their networks.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Aquillion » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Raza wrote:I think that's not it. They're worried that their presence will discourage GK from attacking at all, which would mean they screwed themselves out of the opportunity they'd been waiting for. It'd be an awkward position for them if things dragged out for another turn and they were actually undeniably in time to help, with no mess around to take advantage of.

Nah. He worries that Jetstone might have been right.

What he's just realized (and what his father should have realized before) is that if Jetstone wins, they'll just decrypt all the losers -- he's counting on the survivors being weak, but if Jetstone wins, they won't be.
Aquillion

Next

Return to Reactions