Book 2 – Text Updates 006

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 006

Postby AngryAngel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:42 pm

fractal wrote:You're suggesting a context in which Jillian would choose not to fight? Have you been reading about the same Jillian that I have? Now, she might be happy enough with losing and getting decrypted, but I can't really picture her not fighting in the first place.

Yes, I have. ;) That's why it's just a fantasy. Although you've added a new element: a fight 'for show' before she submits. mmmmm. :twisted:
AngryAngel
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Raza » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:14 pm

AngryAngel wrote:
fractal wrote:You're suggesting a context in which Jillian would choose not to fight? Have you been reading about the same Jillian that I have? Now, she might be happy enough with losing and getting decrypted, but I can't really picture her not fighting in the first place.

Yes, I have. ;) That's why it's just a fantasy. Although you've added a new element: a fight 'for show' before she submits. mmmmm. :twisted:

I can see this happening, even subconsciously. Her doing her usual completely reckless leaping from flying mount to flying mount to kill enemies, but choosing second grade targets to simultaneously avoid hurting Ansom/Wanda and provoke her own secret death wish.

Morbid. I like it.
Raza

Postby (name here) » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Menas wrote:The point I was making was that no-one yet in the storyline has seen through a veil PRIOR to it being used for the purpose it was designed for.

- Parson used a veil on the twoll to trick Ansom. Worked. Didn't go away until the twoll attacked.
- Jack used a veil to make dwagons and archons look like siege and infantry. Worked. Didn't go away until Ansom told him to drop the veil.
- Jack used displacement to make units appear to be somewhere they weren't. Worked. Jetstone didn't know the units weren't real until they discovered they weren't taking any damage. And until Jack got hurt and they went away, but it was a moot point by then as they already knew the displaced units were fake.

In each of these cases, the veil didn't go away until the person using it attacked (which means it served its purpose), or intentionally dropped it. In none of these cases did anyone recognize that a veil was present prior to the attacker having the drop on them.

So again, there's no reason to believe Charlie's units couldn't be there and veiled without being discovered.

You forgot:
- Jack used a veil to hide Stanley and a Dwagon, as well as himself. Was seen through, only barely managed to escape even with a massive distraction giving them a huge lead.

Also, the archons saw right through Bogroll's veil, they just didn't tell anyone because of an overriding strategic imperative.
(name here)

Postby Smoker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Kaveman26 wrote:*cough*

There are no goblins in GK...

Charlie is most likely responsible for this...

Charlie has significant forces in the battlespace. Not Archons...forces

There are some veiled Archons working with Jillian but I think the reason that we arent seeing Charlies forces is because they are underground. Methinks we are about to find out where the goblins went and how Charlie turned them.

I like how you think. Dunno how effective gobwins will be against a force of fliers, but it's still an awesome idea.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby fjolnir » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...
fjolnir

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:14 am

fjolnir wrote:Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...

Oh... A "scone" is a biscuit or other pastry item that is often eaten in England with tea. One often dunks the scones in the tea. Dunkin' scone... like dunkin' donuts.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:03 am

The people at the local bakery told me that scones are supposed to be made to mimic the top crusty part of a muffin without the soft underbelly.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 am

hahaha I can buy those nearby, they're called 'muffin tops.' But it would be awesome if erfworld had a Dune based side.
Sinrus

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:39 am

Now you're going to get on the whole British English vs. American English on what the words "scone", "biscuit" and "cookie" mean.
Gez

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:39 am

don't forget chip
Sinrus

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:28 am

AngryAngel wrote:I'm not getting how the forthcoming battle is going to be a slam-dunk victory for the RCC2. We know GK has been all but unstoppable up 'til now. We know Jetstone is preparing to defend their capital. We know Faq is there to help. We know Charlescomm is assisting Faq. We know Janis hinted to Sizemore that the coming battle was important, and concerned Parson. And that is all we know.

You are correct about what we know, but that never stops us from intuiting, hoping, expecting or fearing beyond the immediately obvious. And in these few updates, it's been the case that GK is facing a Jetstone with an ever-increasing roster of reinforcements. I for one would be disappoint.

Spot wrote:I think I understand Chalie.(...)

Spot, that was a good story. But notice how you gave us all the tactical details. If you had not done this, and just recounted how noobs feared invisible tanks, it would have read much like an empty boast. Also notice how in your case it was about you and artillery skills, not about how you managed to convince other little helpers to come do the job with you. So good story, but not applicable here.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby HandofShadows » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:09 am

Dr Pepper wrote:Yeah. When she was a mercenery, she could indulge in S&M games. But now as a leader, i don't think duty would permit her to deliberately do something detrimental to the side she leads.

Actually there is a hint she already has done so after she became Queen. Otherwise how would Jillian know that Vanna "didn't play it right".
HandofShadows

Postby Rogerborg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:20 am

Still not loving the new Jillian artwork. I find it too generic and manga, without enough distinctive character in the face. I can only tell Jillian and Wanda apart by their hairstyles.
Rogerborg

Postby Black » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Perhaps you should invest in a new pair of glasses?
Black
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:37 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:
HandofShadows wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:You're wrong about Part 2, it would not be blank pages. Rather, several very fan-servicey images of Wanda in various outfits doing things with/to the Jetstone family and Jillian.

And that would increse traffic here by 2000%. :mrgreen:

I agree with your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Alas, I have no newsletter, but let's see what I can whip up ... humm, sorry ... on such short notice. Keeping things firmly tongue in cheek ...

*five hours later*

And voila, but be warned, inferior grasp of anatomy ahead.

Spoiler: show
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Menas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:35 pm

(name here) wrote:
Menas wrote:The point I was making was that no-one yet in the storyline has seen through a veil PRIOR to it being used for the purpose it was designed for.

- Parson used a veil on the twoll to trick Ansom. Worked. Didn't go away until the twoll attacked.
- Jack used a veil to make dwagons and archons look like siege and infantry. Worked. Didn't go away until Ansom told him to drop the veil.
- Jack used displacement to make units appear to be somewhere they weren't. Worked. Jetstone didn't know the units weren't real until they discovered they weren't taking any damage. And until Jack got hurt and they went away, but it was a moot point by then as they already knew the displaced units were fake.

In each of these cases, the veil didn't go away until the person using it attacked (which means it served its purpose), or intentionally dropped it. In none of these cases did anyone recognize that a veil was present prior to the attacker having the drop on them.

So again, there's no reason to believe Charlie's units couldn't be there and veiled without being discovered.

You forgot:
- Jack used a veil to hide Stanley and a Dwagon, as well as himself. Was seen through, only barely managed to escape even with a massive distraction giving them a huge lead.

Also, the archons saw right through Bogroll's veil, they just didn't tell anyone because of an overriding strategic imperative.

Good points (and I admit I'd forgotten about those). These two cases are still different from what's going on now though.

- In the first case they were already looking for Stanley, knew he was trying to get away, knew exactly where he'd been when they lost track of him, and knew he had a foolamancer with him.

That's different than the current scenario, because they don't have any intelligence on what Jillian and Charlie are doing and therefore have no reason to be looking for Charlie's units. They don't expect him to be there, so there's no reason to be specificially looking for him or his units. And even if they did know he was there, they wouldn't know where to begin to look, although they'd probably be able to guess at the unit type. Also, since Jillian is his partner and she's a member of the alliance, I'm expecting there's a number of ways they can use that relationship to avoid any general detection schemes for veiled units that Jetstone may be employing.

And technically, the veil still 'worked' because it allowed Stanley to escape.

- As for the second case, there are still two differences. The first is that Jetstone doesn't have any Archons =) (although I'm guessing they have some units that can see through or detect veils). But secondly, in the case of Bogroll, Bogroll was a visible unit to begin with, i.e., the veil didn't completely hide him, it just altered his appearance. It may not be as easy to detect a veil on a unit that is completely hidden to begin with (invisible).

And technically, the veil still 'worked' because Bogroll was able to take out Ansom, even though the Archons had seen through the veil.
Last edited by Menas on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Menas

Postby Menas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Spot wrote:I think I understand Chalie.(...)

Spot, that was a good story. But notice how you gave us all the tactical details. If you had not done this, and just recounted how noobs feared invisible tanks, it would have read much like an empty boast. Also notice how in your case it was about you and artillery skills, not about how you managed to convince other little helpers to come do the job with you. So good story, but not applicable here.

I disagree that it's not applicable here. I think the point Spot is trying to make is that the author is going to fill in the blanks just like Spot did, but he's going to do it as part of the storyline and reveal it in his own good time. Spot was also making the point that whether or not the noobs he was facing had a valid explanation of what was going on, there still WAS a valid explanation, they just didn't understand what it was. Just because what was happening seemed in their perspective to be like a 'hack' or a 'Deus Ex-machina' didn't make it so.

The argument of 'this couldn't possibly happen because I can't see how it could happen when I don't have all the information I need to understand the situation' doesn't carry much weight for me.
Menas

Postby LordDarksea » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:
fjolnir wrote:Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...

Oh... A "scone" is a biscuit or other pastry item that is often eaten in England with tea. One often dunks the scones in the tea. Dunkin' scone... like dunkin' donuts.

This is a good thing to do - until you are in Cornwall (or Devon) and have a 'cream tea' - a scone cut in half with each topped with butter, clotted cream and jam (ideally black-current, but each to their own i guess). These do not dunk ;)

(easily).

Also, there is much 'national' (read as cornwall vs devon) distinction between whether the jam should top the clotted cream or the clotted cream the jam. wars have been fought, well, squabbled over this.

The point of this though, to bring it back to the comic, is that - taking his original appearance into account - if Zhopa gets promoted up from Garrison status (or Gobwin Knob re-invaded) he may end up being Cream Mr T'd by Duncan Scone...
LordDarksea

Postby theseus2x » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:56 pm

AngryAngel wrote:

From what I'm reading, this isn't the Jillian of the past. She's smarter than before, seeing the big picture, realizing that constantly charging into battle and getting captured just isn't going to cut it anymore. Part of that is Don King's influence, some of it is Charlie's, Some of it is simply the fact that she's embraced her Royal nature.

Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.
theseus2x

Postby SteveMB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Alas, I have no newsletter, but let's see what I can whip up ... humm, sorry ...

No, you're not. :D

theseus2x wrote:Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

I suspect that you're right, particularly given her confrontation with Wanda before the final big battle in Book 1. I expect some very wrenching moments of temptation, though....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions