Book 2 – Page 12

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 12

Postby Guurzak » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm

fractal wrote:
theseus2x wrote:Also :

Sides pop what they NEED, not necessarily what their leader WANTS. If Banhammer had popped the kind of heir he wanted, that heir would have probably been croaked and there would have been no one to rebuild his side. Instead, they got an heir who could ultimately handle this current situation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)

Wanda is originally from Croatan, not Faq.
Guurzak

Postby Sinrus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:10 pm

What is Croatan, exactly? And where did you learn that?
Sinrus

Postby teratorn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Sinrus see the cast page or the wiki about wanda.

Guurzak wrote:Wanda is originally from Croatan, not Faq.

Jetstone is the tribe name and the name of the kingdom, so one could expect Faq to be similar, but it's not
100% sure until Jillian claims her tribe to be Faq and not Croatan.

Man, I miss the characters as they were in the cast page. I don't like this more realistic view of them.
teratorn

Postby Hobgobwin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Guurzak wrote:
fractal wrote:

Sides pop what they NEED, not necessarily what their leader WANTS. If Banhammer had popped the kind of heir he wanted, that heir would have probably been croaked and there would have been no one to rebuild his side. Instead, they got an heir who could ultimately handle this current situation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)

Wanda is originally from Croatan, not Faq.

Stanley and Sizemore are from the Plaid tribe but were popped in Gobwin Knob.
Hobgobwin

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Angband wrote:
Gez wrote:
AllPurposeNerd wrote:I mean the only real model we have for a name this short ending in q is Iraq. Do you really wanna call them Faqi insurgents?

Yes, because that's exactly the sort of things that Erfworld would do.

Though I concede it might go with Faqir instead. Alternatively, Faquille O'Neal.

How about "Faq-heads"?

I think we should call them "Faqs".
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:16 am

Someone mentioned it earlier in the topic but the difference in color between what we see for the Faq warlords and what one of the summer updates mentioned about their colors does seem odd.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:19 am

Indeed, and it is a useful world mechanic I guess that no matter what kind of leader you are, say a scrawny weakling, there is a chance you pop an heir that can make up for such deficits.

Slately doesn't look like the Chief Warlord type, or the warrior type, yet he undoubtedly succeeded in having two heirs popped that are great militarily and probably played a part in Jetstone being so powerful now.

fractal wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)

An interesting point (I'm sure it has been raised in the past) but it is darn weird a kingdom that existed as Faq did kept around a croakmancer - I mean both Jack and the Predictamancer were vital, but why would they need someone who could uncroak when their should be no croaking in the first place?

Unless she went with Jillian on merc work, where she could be useful (and give them a chance to get close) with sudden uncroaked reinforcements, but still, an expensive caster of little value to the play style of her side (ultra hidden, isolationist and conflict-avoidant).
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Gez » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:53 am

Guurzak wrote:Wanda is originally from Croatan, not Faq.

That's like saying "Lincoln was from American, not the USA." It doesn't even make sense grammatically. Croatan is a tribe name, not a place name. The Gobwin Knob tribe is the Plaid, so why wouldn't the Faq tribe be the Croatan?
Gez

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 am

Sixty wrote:Someone mentioned it earlier in the topic but the difference in color between what we see for the Faq warlords and what one of the summer updates mentioned about their colors does seem odd.

Perhaps it is just warlords and guys like stabbers/pikers having different uniforms in Faq. Or Jillian just decided to change it.

When Faq was reestablished she didn't have it take on the same style or colours in its livery as it it had during Banhammer's reign. Not sure why she'd change it at this stage though.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby themysticalone » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:31 pm

HailGreen28 wrote:Scarier thought. If Mega-Gwiffs are larger versions of Gwiffs, then what would be a larger version of a Dwagon? :shock:.

A Dwag Queen.

;)

Edit: Dangit, someone else posted that already :(
Read Fodi at baldninja.com
themysticalone

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:An interesting point (I'm sure it has been raised in the past) but it is darn weird a kingdom that existed as Faq did kept around a croakmancer - I mean both Jack and the Predictamancer were vital, but why would they need someone who could uncroak when their should be no croaking in the first place?

Maybe that's why she's good at everything. We've seen her cast from a bunch of different schools of magic.
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:07 am

AllPurposeNerd wrote:
Dancing Cthulhu wrote:An interesting point (I'm sure it has been raised in the past) but it is darn weird a kingdom that existed as Faq did kept around a croakmancer - I mean both Jack and the Predictamancer were vital, but why would they need someone who could uncroak when their should be no croaking in the first place?

Maybe that's why she's good at everything. We've seen her cast from a bunch of different schools of magic.

Hmmm, good point (and with scrolls especially) - I guess that might explain some of her attitude on the subject - Sizemore enjoys learning and diversification whereas Wanda might have needed to be a bit of a Jack of all trades in Faq to justify her upkeep.

Or maybe it is an example of King Banhammer's quasi-pacifism in practice - even if Faq got a unit that might not necessarily fit in with Faq's philosophy he wouldn't get rid of them (no dispanding in Faq). Or even a not overly- useful caster is still better to have then not have.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby ErfNch » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:51 am

fractal wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)

Well, maybe the Titans thought they needed it. Maybe they were not satisfied that Faq was a "bubble" kingdom and made them pop an ambitious croackamancer that would eventually sell her own side to the ennemy. Then Banhammer had its fall predicted and decide to pop a new heir who's the exact contrary of what he wanted. So he send her far away for mercenary work, turns out it save her life when Faq fall. Now Jillian bring Faq back, except that it now is a "normal" kingdom taking it's part in the "titans great sport".

Yeah I know this is far-fetched but couldn't come up with anything more credible :P
ErfNch

Postby HandofShadows » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 am

ErfNch wrote:Well, maybe the Titans thought they needed it. Maybe they were not satisfied that Faq was a "bubble" kingdom and made them pop an ambitious croackamancer that would eventually sell her own side to the ennemy.

Wanda didn't exactly sell out Faq. She thought that Faq would be able to take out Stanley since he is such and idiot. A huge mistake to be sure.

I think people are failing to consider a player that is effecting the course of Erworld. The people in the Magic kingdom that are trying to break Erfworld. We know about Janis, but how amny people would be surprised if the Perdictamancer that told Wanda she would wield an Arkentool was one of them. In many respects it that single action that set everything in motion.
HandofShadows

Postby Sinrus » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

HandofShadows wrote:The people in the Magic kingdom that are trying to break Erfworld. We know about Janis, but how many people would be surprised if the Predictamancer that told Wanda she would wield an Arkentool was one of them.

Me, because Faq had its own flipping predictamancer.

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:Even if Faq got a unit that might not necessarily fit in with Faq's philosophy he wouldn't get rid of them (no dispanding in Faq). Or even a not overly- useful caster is still better to have then not have.

Not really, becuase casters are expensive and Faq has alqays had cash flow problems.
Sinrus

Postby Infidel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09 am

HailGreen28 wrote:
atteSmythe wrote:How about just Faqs.
"Just the Faqs, ma'am."

I like it!

The s is a pluralizer not a personifier. So it is terrible. There is only one Faq in erf.
Erfworlders pop as adults. If she had been raised her whole life to be like Banhammer and then turned into herself, that would have been rebelliousness. But she didn't have any childhood for her mind to develop from the stimuli of environment.

That would be an argument against the other's points, not mine. And I agree. This is programming not rearing. So rebelliousness is not it at all. She thinks outside her programming, ergo she thinks outside the box. Whether someone buys it or not is irrelevant as I wasn't trying to sell it anyway. I already said that outside-the-box isn't quite the right fit, but it does come close enough until someone comes up with a better term.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby HandofShadows » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 am

Sinrus wrote:
HandofShadows wrote:The people in the Magic kingdom that are trying to break Erfworld. We know about Janis, but how many people would be surprised if the Predictamancer that told Wanda she would wield an Arkentool was one of them.

And how does the predictamancer being from Faq autamatically mean that he could not be part of the "Break the World" conspiricy?
HandofShadows

Postby KiltedNinja » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 am

...I'm still hoping that one of the books will be subtitled "For Faq's Sake"...

<.<
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 pm

HandofShadows wrote:
Sinrus wrote:

And how does the predictamancer being from Faq autamatically mean that he could not be part of the "Break the World" conspiricy?

Never said that. I said that I would be surprised if Wanda had to get a prediction from somebody in the Magic Kingdom.
Sinrus

Postby Updog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:51 pm

themysticalone wrote:
HailGreen28 wrote:Scarier thought. If Mega-Gwiffs are larger versions of Gwiffs, then what would be a larger version of a Dwagon? :shock:.

A Dwag Queen.

;)

It'd actually be a 3 headed blue/green/red/yellow/pink/purple eyes white dragon
Updog

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions