Book 2 – Page 12

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 12

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 am

Infidel wrote:Well, Banhammer was never shown from a good perspective, so he could still have normal eyes. Or, he could have conquered FAQ, so that is why he doesn't have Faqian eyes.

As for Manpower, we likely will never know. Certainly, if the eye thing is not relevant to the plot then we never will. If it does become relevant, then we might get an explanation, or not, Generally, It's almost as bad to tie up every loose end as it is to leave too many hanging. But given what we know, we can probably assume he was captured turned in Faq. Even if it is unlikely, it's the least unlikely theory so far. It's quite possible, that Rob and Jamie did seperate character concepts and somehow, they decided to stick with ones with the more normal eyes for a few of the characters.

OTOH, if it is Signamancy, what do Manpower, Parson, Jillian, Wanda and Jack all have in common? That is the real tough question. Well, we don't know much about Manpower, he just got shafted, but all of the others tend to think outside the box in one way or another. Jillian isn't original so much, but her box was Banhammer's "peace" and she was very outside of that. And Jack stuck by Stanley's side for some reason. Meh, It's hard to put my finger on.

I don't think is a out-of-the-box thinker. Fate popped her as a warrior princess, and she behaved that way. The only unusual thing she ever made was not to rush home and rebuild Faq after she became barbarian. And that wasn't really out-of-box thinking, she just used a opportunity and kept on working as mercenary, like before, just as barbarian. Jack is a master of his art, but never showed any signs of outboxing.

Something they have in common: They all "turn". Manpower turns from living to dead, Wanda and Jack turn from Faq to GK, Jillian turns barbarian, parson turns over from a different world. But that's really a long shot. And other characters "turn" in these senses, too. Ansom even returns from the dead, but doesn't have these eyes.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Infidel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:22 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:I don't think is a out-of-the-box thinker.

I don't either, but I can't think of another term that comes close to what I do think. But they all seem to break expectations in one way or another. Heck, even manpower kept talking with an arrow sticking out his eye.

Fate popped her as a warrior princess, and she behaved that way.
Well, the box here is Banhammer's conditioning. Banhammer trained her to be all philosophical and royal, and she rejected all of her royal, and scholarly training. Rejecting your training or conditioning is outside the box thinking. Most outside-the-box thinkers are really just thinking inside a bigger box anyway. So it doesn't necessarily indicate original thinking. A true outside-the-box thinker is extremely rare.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 am

Infidel wrote:Meh, people will pay money for anything. Even so, just because some channel changes its name is harly due cause to start calling everything else by that channel's name. The genre came first, then the channel.

Yes, but the original poster was saying "SyFy" to mean that is is like the movies made for the SyFy Channel, or as i like to call it, "the network that dare not speak its name", which are usually really awful. As in, the MST3K people would just cry.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby joosy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:56 am

DoctorJest wrote:
Infidel wrote:Meh, people will pay money for anything. Even so, just because some channel changes its name is harly due cause to start calling everything else by that channel's name. The genre came first, then the channel.

I'm pretty sure the poster in question meant "SyFy Original Picture" as in a film made by SyFy that goes straight to video/broadcast on their channel, which have a reputation, not entirely undeserved, of being overly ambitious. I do not believe they were refering to the entire genre as "SyFy".

So in this case "SyFy straight to video" is like saying "ABC Afterschool Special". It's not using the station ID as a catch-all for the phrase "Sci-Fi".

Thank you for explaining that - I forget that not everyone gets all references. Although it would get annoying to have a personal expositional bridge for each entry along with footnotes.

I remember walking out of Dwag..er.. Dragon Wars in the theater and summing it up to my friends as "so bad Sci-Fi Channel (as it was known still then) wouldn't pick it up".. but a year later, there it was making me scramble for the remote to change the channel. I then had to change my review of the movie to suggest that people bring anatomical dolls with them so they could go from the theater to the police station to show them where the bad movie touched them.
joosy

Postby Stormchi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:49 am

Someone mentioned scrolls shimmering earlier, (or not shimmering) and it reminded me of the scene in book one when Wanda had just bought the summoning spell. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F013.jpg

It was a scroll that used fate magic. "yours, mine, and ours". So really this entire war is happening because of fate magic. So maybe the eye thing has to do with characters who are touched by fate magic? Key players in the fate of Erf?

On another tangent of baseless speculation: Maybe that scroll to find the "perfect" warlord, was to find the warlord that would bring peace to erfworld. Maybe Janis was the one who had it created. Maybe Wanda was in on it, or manipulated into using it, I mean she is the one who brought up the summoning spell with Stanley in the first place and the one who cast it.

I mean probably not, but I do wonder at Wanda's motivation. She hasn't expressed any belief in the toolism thing, that's just been Ansom's fanatacism talking. Yes she does work for Stanley, and maybe conquering erfworld for her side is enough of a motivation, given the nature of erfworld, but I can't help but feel her character is a little deeper than that. That somehow the scroll using fate magic, and Wanda's loyalty to fate magic above and beyond whatever side she happens to be working for at the moment, are somehow linked.

Also I cant wait to see the interaction between Wanda and Gillian! That will be awesome!
Stormchi

Postby Gez » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:15 am

Dr Pepper wrote:
Gez wrote:
Dr Pepper wrote:I hope not. Regardless of whatever else happens, Ceaser needs to die, slowly and painfully. And his last thought should be a desperate wish that he had never said "chickie".

Mookie? Is that you?

huh?

You seem to say he needs to die slowly and painfully because he's been sexist towards Jillian. It reminds me of Dominic Deegan's author, who seems to consider that serial killers or mercenary assassins are good guys compared to sexist or racist people. A slow and painful death for saying "chickie" seems a bit a extreme...
Gez

Postby HailGreen28 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 am

atteSmythe wrote:How about just Faqs.
"Just the Faqs, ma'am."

I like it!
HailGreen28

Postby Key Lime Pie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:25 am

Do we have any idea what the heavily robed figures riding the Megalogwiffs are? I first noticed one in panel 10 and thought that it was perhaps a first glimpse of Faq's caster; but in page 11 you can see multiple of them, and in page 12 a close-up. They don't appear to me as heavies in first glance, what with that cloth and all.
Key Lime Pie

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 am

Infidel wrote:Fate popped her as a warrior princess, and she behaved that way.
Well, the box here is Banhammer's conditioning. Banhammer trained her to be all philosophical and royal, and she rejected all of her royal, and scholarly training. Rejecting your training or conditioning is outside the box thinking. Most outside-the-box thinkers are really just thinking inside a bigger box anyway. So it doesn't necessarily indicate original thinking. A true outside-the-box thinker is extremely rare.[/quote]

I believe Jillian behaved out of defiance like any ordinary teenager; she was good at fighting and her father told her to do the opposite. But theta is just my opinion, and you make a valid point.

However, why does Stanley not have special eyes? He is the paragon of out of box thinking (or better: behaving, if that makes any sense). He made his way from piker to overlord, and even rejected significant parts of the traditional erfworld believe system. He maybe didn't do it concious, but he did it. He is like a broken clock that manages to show the right time 4 times a day.

Stormchi wrote:It was a scroll that used fate magic. "yours, mine, and ours". So really this entire war is happening because of fate magic. So maybe the eye thing has to do with characters who are touched by fate magic? Key players in the fate of Erf?

Smae thing as above, why hasn't Stanley special eyes? The whole story of erfworld was set into motion by his attuning to the arkenhammer.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby teratorn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Key Lime Pie wrote:Do we have any idea what the heavily robed figures riding the Megalogwiffs are? I first noticed one in panel 10 and thought that it was perhaps a first glimpse of Faq's caster; but in page 11 you can see multiple of them, and in page 12 a close-up. They don't appear to me as heavies in first glance, what with that cloth and all.

Faq warlords. She popped a few of those and she also turned warlords from her border conquests. Their blue colours agree with the colour scheme on Faq's symbol.
teratorn

Postby theseus2x » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Infidel wrote:Fate popped her as a warrior princess, and she behaved that way.
Well, the box here is Banhammer's conditioning. Banhammer trained her to be all philosophical and royal, and she rejected all of her royal, and scholarly training. Rejecting your training or conditioning is outside the box thinking. Most outside-the-box thinkers are really just thinking inside a bigger box anyway. So it doesn't necessarily indicate original thinking. A true outside-the-box thinker is extremely rare.[/quote]

Not buying this exactly. If your parents want you to be a gynecologist when you grow up, and you say "fuck that", you are many things. Perhaps rebellious, perhaps committed to your own fate. You are not, however, "outside the box".
theseus2x

Postby theseus2x » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Also :

Sides pop what they NEED, not necessarily what their leader WANTS. If Banhammer had popped the kind of heir he wanted, that heir would have probably been croaked and there would have been no one to rebuild his side. Instead, they got an heir who could ultimately handle this current situation.
theseus2x

Postby fractal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:36 pm

theseus2x wrote:Also :

Sides pop what they NEED, not necessarily what their leader WANTS. If Banhammer had popped the kind of heir he wanted, that heir would have probably been croaked and there would have been no one to rebuild his side. Instead, they got an heir who could ultimately handle this current situation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)
fractal

Postby theseus2x » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:44 pm

fractal wrote:
theseus2x wrote:Also :

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that FAQ did NOT need Wanda. (Or was she captured by Jillian from someplace else?)

Meh... sometimes the Titans want you to have what you need; other times they give you a psychotic, humorless Croakamancer who will ultimately betray you and lead you to destruction. :roll:
theseus2x

Postby badninja » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:53 pm

theseus2x wrote:Meh... sometimes the Titans want you to have what you need; other times they give you a psychotic, humorless Croakamancer who will ultimately betray you and lead you to destruction. :roll:

Or they set it all up. They wanted some one to play with and that person is Parson. Wanda is only playing her small part and acting like the insignificant piece that she is. :twisted:
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Nebulious » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 pm

theseus2x wrote:Sides pop what they NEED, not necessarily what their leader WANTS.

The summer update says that's a theory. Weather there's a system or Titans that looks and judges the actions/needs of the Erfworlders is just an assumption that everyone in-comic makes. We know the titans are real, but we don't know if they still give a used fig about the place.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sinrus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Infidel wrote:Fate popped her as a warrior princess, and she behaved that way. Well, the box here is Banhammer's conditioning. Banhammer trained her to be all philosophical and royal, and she rejected all of her royal, and scholarly training. Rejecting your training or conditioning is outside the box thinking. Most outside-the-box thinkers are really just thinking inside a bigger box anyway. So it doesn't necessarily indicate original thinking. A true outside-the-box thinker is extremely rare.

Erfworlders pop as adults. If she had been raised her whole life to be like Banhammer and then turned into herself, that would have been rebelliousness. But she didn't have any childhood for her mind to develop from the stimuli of environment.
Sinrus

Postby Slowness » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Image posts ahoy!

Prince Ossomer:
Spoiler: show

Queen Jillian:

Don King:

King Slately:

Stanley The Tool:
Last edited by Slowness on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowness

Postby multilis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I don't know if it has been mentioned before: Frame 6 top right, 2 people are carrying a whole stack of scrolls in the background. Perhaps magic scrolls...
multilis

Postby Stormchi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Stormchi wrote:It was a scroll that used fate magic. "yours, mine, and ours". So really this entire war is happening because of fate magic. So maybe the eye thing has to do with characters who are touched by fate magic? Key players in the fate of Erf?

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Smae thing as above, why hasn't Stanley special eyes? The whole story of erfworld was set into motion by his attuning to the arkenhammer.

Good point, you're probably right, but maybe it didn't matter who attuned to the arkenhammer, since they weren't the one who was gonna conquer erf. Stanley wouldn't even be in the position he's in if Wanda hadn't betrayed Faq. I'm just saying the little nudges of fate. It's the small things...
Stormchi

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions