Re: Book 2 - Page 10

Postby Akkristor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

Ugh...

That had to be painful.

Certainly surprised Ansom
Akkristor

Postby yay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:07 am

yes, Jillian is in jetstone, let the bloody reunion begin!
is the "caster of some sorts" vanna, did the text update from way back mention if she left with the group?

even though ansom is brainwashed and decrypted himself, he still thinks something is wrong with killing and decrypting his brother.
yay

Postby Frogpop » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Oh snap.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby regisminae » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:11 am

So...

1. Scarlet isn't actually Jack veiled. Well, there goes that idea...

2. Scarlet is actually Scarlet. Cool.

3. Jetstone wasn't completely committed to the bridge. Smart planning.

4. Jillian's in Spacerock.

5. "Some Caster" in Spacerock? Probably not Cubbins: he'd not have been mentioned as a "tactical surprise". Is it Vanna? Or is it someone new... did Faq finally pop a Caster of its own?

Also, bonus points for Wanda's expression in the last panel.

EDIT: noticed a few new things: Panel two, it looks like some units are tending to Jack. I'd think that this suggests he is not croaked, but they could equally possibly be laying out his croaked body. So, that's inconclusive. And are the Archons in that panel mourning the loss of their colleague?
Last edited by regisminae on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
regisminae

Postby Justyn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:12 am

This confirms that Jack is still alive: if he was croaked, Wanda would have Decrypted him.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Skystriker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:12 am

Methinks Ansom doth protest too much for someone wholly mind controlled.

I'm interested in seeing the limits of Decryption mental influence tested :3. Not that he'd outright disobey, this is just very interesting.
Skystriker

Postby regisminae » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:18 am

Justyn wrote:This confirms that Jack is still alive: if he was croaked, Wanda would have Decrypted him.

I'm... skeptical on this. Not that I don't agree, but I think that the Ossomer situation would be dealt with before Wanda would focus on Jack.

It's still GK's turn, so they don't need to rush their assault, and I would suspect Wanda was more eager for intelligence right away.
regisminae

Postby ftl » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:19 am

Well then.

"A caster of some sort" - there's your surprise that can ruin the day even more. Hatomancer + Surprise Caster... what can they do? Combine that with new leadership (Tremennis) and a pretty powerful Royal ally (Jillian) and Jack probably being out of commission for at least a turn, and the capital can yet put up a fight.

Speaking of which, Jillian is indeed in Jetstone! Let the fun begin.

Ansom disapproves of murdering his own brother. He then gets to see exactly how much decryption can do to someone's mind. Next he gets to encounter Jillian, whom he used to love.

Suddenly, I think that Ansom turning and us finding out that decrypted aren't perfectly loyal... a much greater possibility.

I wonder what interaction Wanda will have with Jillian. Her expression was certainly a sight to see. (Though I'd much rather have Wanda herself be back to 'a sight to see', rather than 'a horrid monstrosity to avoid looking at'. ;) )
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby sheepfly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 am

Sweet, Scarlet leveled! :D

With Jack out of commission (are those healers attending to him?) and a big fat surprise army lying in wait for the dwagon fleet, surely--SURELY--Wanda will consult with Parson and reconsider the attack. Surely.

Bwahahahah, who am I kidding. Wanda's gonna screw this thing up, big time, with both eyes wide open. Jillian has a way of clouding her judgment. Plus Wanda has this fatalistic notion of fate, rather than one in which the individual's actions determine the outcome--should become more and more severe a handicap as the odds against the decrypted army increase.

And does it seem strange to anyone else that Ossomer is far less enthusiastic about his decryption than Ansom was about his own? Or that Ansom is actually upset by Ossomer's last words and decryption?

And once again Xin's attention to detail is impressive. Love the bruises, facial expressions, and Jetstone soldiers pounding on the hex boundary (boy they are *pissed*).
Last edited by sheepfly on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly

Postby Nebulious » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:29 am

Wow...I didn't think Ossomer would go down so easily. And ganked by Scarlet of all people!
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby GobwinPie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:33 am

yay wrote:even though ansom is brainwashed and decrypted himself, he still thinks something is wrong with killing and decrypting his brother.

That is absolutely fascinating. Perhaps the Decrypted have far more free will than people are willing to give them credit for. (I scoff at you "pod person" people! Scoff! Scoff! :D)

Like others, I wonder if Ansom could turn. Could Ossomer's last free words could have planted a seed of doubt within him? He seems so sad for Ossomer's moment of confusion.

And's Wanda's face? Priceless. I wonder what Ansom's face must be like on hearing the same thing...

sheepfly wrote:And once again Xin's attention to detail is impressive. Love the bruises, facial expressions, and Jetstone soldiers pounding on the hex boundary (boy they are *pissed*).

Oh, totally seconded.

Two more comments:
- Black and red look good on Ossomer.
- What the hey is the SFX for Scarlett stabbing him, and why is the top/last letter/symbol a different color?
GobwinPie

Postby MuthSera » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:36 am

Yes. Ansom's response is VERY interesting. He's becoming more strongly willed again, less of an automaton like he was when first revived, and more argumentative. Does the control slowly lessen over time?

On that note, I know theres not a whole lot to support the notion, but if the control is slowly wearing off, is the decrypting wearing off too? Are they slowly turning to dust again, or slowly returning to life, possibly?
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby DarkNewton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 am

Caster of some sort has me thinking.. if he doesn't exactly know the type.. could Charlie be making a guest appearance and keeping who he is a secret so as not to draw unfavorable debates from the Jetstones?

Also imagine the type of thinkamancer-type linkup the arkendish could pull off if pressed into that service.
DarkNewton

Postby Dr Quest DFA » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 am

Looks like decrypted units CAN level. Interesting.

It also seems that GK boosted its leadership by quite a lot with the addition of Ossomer.

Also: Yay for Scarlet still being around.

Looks like Jack is being tended in Panel two. The Dwagon alredy has a bit of bandage on it.

I wonder where Jetstone came up with that extra column of heavies and infantray that was so close to the city (but obviously not close enough)? Maybe some other ally sending in forces?

Looks like Parson was right in cautioning scouting before the attack. We haven't seen a megalogwiffon in action yet, but Jillian's normal gwiffons did a pretty good number of the dwagons they have fought.

As for "some caster" might be a Charlie special. He has pull in the MK and there is certainly a faction in the MK wary of GK's growing influence.

The ball is still in GK's court, I'll be interested to see what they do. If they delay they end up with a much tougher nut to crack. If they rush in they risk getting slammed by Jillian (with a capital city bonus) and a mystery caster that not even Ossomer knows about.

Also, check out the Jetstone troops pushing against the hex barrier in the 6th panel, great detail!

Finaly, that last panel just begs tobe turned into an avatar with a key lime pie reference in it.

Carry on good citizens.

(And yes, I am still pysched that Red/Scarlet is still around and larger than 9 square pixels.)
Dr Quest DFA
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby name lips » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am

At first it looked so simple.... We tricked you, we don't have infantry and siege, we have dwagons and archons! And it looked like they fell for it.

But instead it looks like things are gonna get messy. Very messy.

Stanley and Parson need to be informed of this development. Pronto.
name lips

Postby Wakky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 am

When Scarlet stabs Ossomer, the sound effect is RROO. A quick web search says that's the acronym for Robert's Rules Of Order. What exactly do you think that implies? That Ossomer is being forced to comply to Wanda's rules?

Also, it appears that Ansom is a lot more than just a "pod person" as many have conjectured. A pod person would never question orders by shouting, "That was totally unnecessary!" Long ago I guessed that one of the main plot points in the second book would revolve around Ansom rebelling against the control of the Arkenpliers when he is forced to oppose Jillian. His reaction here looks like a bit of foreshadowing.

Also also, did anyone else notice in panel 6 that the Jetstone warlords are on the other side of the bridge pounding their fists against the hex barrier in frustration? I thought that was a nice touch.
Wakky

Postby yay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 am

MuthSera wrote:On that note, I know theres not a whole lot to support the notion, but if the control is slowly wearing off, is the decrypting wearing off too? Are they slowly turning to dust again, or slowly returning to life, possibly?

wonder what healomancy would do to decrypted, or uncroaked for that matter. most games healing magic has a negative effect on the undead, perhaps it will return decrypted back to there original alingment?
yay

Postby mblackadder » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:51 am

There goes my "in joke that Scarlet never gets face time" Thanks a lot Rob that was the one theory I had any confidence in.

Ah well
Looks like Decrypting is a re popping of some kind. You'll notice Ossomer lot his hits the instant he got Rroo'd and re-raised. No existing damage he looks to be in fighting shape the instant after Decryption. Wonder if Wanda can pull it off mid-battle. Would be rather interesting to see if she can Decrypt things as her units kills them.
mblackadder
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Daemonwelsh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:54 am

Panel 5: Ossemer knew Scarlet was going to kill him.

Is it bad that I am liking the Scarlet character more and more each time I see her?
More Dakka
Daemonwelsh

Next

Return to Reactions