Book 2 – Page 5

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby John Campbell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Dahak wrote:Alliance act on the turn of the member of the alliance who has the last place in the natural turn order.

I don't think that's ever been definitely confirmed.

(It is, admittedly, my preferred theory, but I believe there are others that could explain our very limited sample set.)

Which we know IIRC is

Barbarians. [And unaligned Natural Allies?]
Charlescom.
Transylvito.
Gobwin's Knob.
Last Placed Member of the RCC. [We don't know which this is]

My money's on the Tardy Elves.
John Campbell
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 am
Location: The Republic of Vermont

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby asparagus » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:34 pm

John Campbell wrote:My money's on the Tardy Elves.


No the Tardy elves were dismissed from the coalition. (Their leader had apparently not got out of bed.) But you did make me think of Tarfu from the Woodsy elves.
asparagus
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby HandofShadows » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Dr Quest DFA wrote:To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.


There is an addition to that very old syaing. "It is better to be the hammer, than the nail".
HandofShadows
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Pindanin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 pm

HandofShadows wrote:
Dr Quest DFA wrote:To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.


There is an addition to that very old syaing. "It is better to be the hammer, than the nail".

Doesn't stanley have a hammer?
Pindanin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby NemFXcore » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Reckless. She's just asking for something bad to happen. She'll probably get it too.
NemFXcore
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby raphfrk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Romanosuke wrote:I am pretty sure the bracer wasn't there when you orignially made this post, but it seems like the bracer is there now that I took a look again recently.


Some retconjuration :), it definitely wasn't there previously.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Darkside007 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 pm

theseus2x wrote:This is my first post, so please bear with me, and forgive me if I'm rehashing things other people have suggested.

Speculations :

1) It was Parson's plan to veil the heavy fliers.


Directly contradicted by the text; Parson gives Ansom full credit.
User avatar
Darkside007
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby LordDarksea » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:46 pm

asparagus wrote:
John Campbell wrote:My money's on the Tardy Elves.


No the Tardy elves were dismissed from the coalition. (Their leader had apparently not got out of bed.) But you did make me think of Tarfu from the Woodsy elves.


The last coalition, which was, so say the least, a long time ago (in a galaxy some hexes away ;) ) putting comedy and script first, they were dismissed then doesn't mean they ca't come back now. If you can't find a hundred-and-one- jokes for why a race of people who are, by definition, 'tardy', shouldn't be re invited ina NEW story then re prepare your notes for this seminar. . .

(apologies for the grammar, drunk for the first time in months, hope my meaning is somewhat intelligible)

Thom

p.s. lets have more vellum/parchment Rob, I need my vicarious pleasure!
LordDarksea
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Zak3056 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:04 pm

crazyguy_co wrote:Also something occured to me.... something very odd. What if Wanda and Jack both turned to Faq? The were both Faq casters once... and both had loyalty to Jillian. she didn't HAVE a side to turn to when she tried on both... but lets say that explains her "bad luck" on spawning casters? Maybe she has two and doesn't realize it? If thats true... we may have some interesting times. I don't have any evidence of this one, so a pretty flimsy argument, just a shot in the dark.

Wanda was ready to go to FAQ, to save Stanley from Jillian. Jack DID save Stanley from Jillian. I think you're on the wrong track.
Zak3056
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Scott Frantz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm

John Campbell wrote:
Dahak wrote:Alliance act on the turn of the member of the alliance who has the last place in the natural turn order.

I don't think that's ever been definitely confirmed.

(It is, admittedly, my preferred theory, but I believe there are others that could explain our very limited sample set.).
No, the "Word of the Titans" section in the Wiki confirms it
Scott Frantz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Goshen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Back from vacation and loving this! The artwork really captures the meaning of things.

I like how Ossimer is definitely an uptight painfully straight-laced giant prig, shown by his dialogue and painfully rammed-rod posture. I can't say why, but is iron bikini over-armor totally reminds me of a diaper. LOL!

And Wanda looks great, as usual. Is she dressed like Magenta from Rocky Horror? The hair is definitely the same, originally inspired by Frankenstein's Daughter. good fun.
User avatar
Goshen
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby crazyguy_co » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:06 pm

theseus2x wrote:
crazyguy_co wrote:1. The decrypt tactic- I said it before, as far as we know, decrypt works like uncroaking... And if thats true, you can't hit and run decrypt... you have to control the hex after the battle. Now there are clearly ways to move bodies since we learn bodies fanish if not uncroaked or moved... so its still possible, but it wouldn't be my automatic choice.


Point of order : So far, decrypted units seem not to have most of the disadvantages of uncroaked. (i.e. they are intelligent, for example) In fact, they are far closer to normal units then decrypted, with the exception that they don't cost upkeep.

So I personally think that until we are told / indicated otherwise, we should assume that decrypted are capable of hit and run, and pretty much all the other manuveurs a normal unit could make.

Just my 2 cents.



discussing how they are created, not what they are capable of.

Since Decrypting is first referred to as super uncroaking... we have every reason to assume it has the same basic process.


Although I went back and reread the relevant parts of book 1. The parts I *thought* it said they had to control the hex says no such thing... so I guess my point was wrong anyway.
crazyguy_co
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:04 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Archameades » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Why doesn't Banana get a rider? There's still one unit on the ground...
Archameades
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Jatopian » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Perhaps Banana is still traumatized by its last rider.

Then again, we don't know that that really is Banana.
Jatopian
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby gameboy1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Zak3056 wrote:
crazyguy_co wrote:Also something occured to me.... something very odd. What if Wanda and Jack both turned to Faq? The were both Faq casters once... and both had loyalty to Jillian. she didn't HAVE a side to turn to when she tried on both... but lets say that explains her "bad luck" on spawning casters? Maybe she has two and doesn't realize it? If thats true... we may have some interesting times. I don't have any evidence of this one, so a pretty flimsy argument, just a shot in the dark.

Wanda was ready to go to FAQ, to save Stanley from Jillian. Jack DID save Stanley from Jillian. I think you're on the wrong track.


Wanda considers her Fate linked to Stanley, and maybe still does. I'm trying to figure Jack out. Jillian seemed to think that a Loyalty spell was needed to keep Wanda and Jack on Stanley's side. I'll have to assume that normally she'd be right, but we haven't seen any evidence of Jack being under a Loyalty spell any more than Wanda is.

So, what if Jack got a Prediction too? That would explain his behavior. He's there by his on will, like Wanda, but probably for different reasons.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Avatar hoarked from PS238.
User avatar
gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby sheepfly » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:56 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:Wanda considers her Fate linked to Stanley, and maybe still does. I'm trying to figure Jack out. Jillian seemed to think that a Loyalty spell was needed to keep Wanda and Jack on Stanley's side. I'll have to assume that normally she'd be right, but we haven't seen any evidence of Jack being under a Loyalty spell any more than Wanda is.

So, what if Jack got a Prediction too? That would explain his behavior. He's there by his on will, like Wanda, but probably for different reasons.


Jillian mentioned that she thought Jack had a crush on her, and she was the only one capable of restoring Jack's sanity. Jillian seems to be the only person Jack definitely cares about; his loyalty to any side would presumably be affected by that. Maybe Jack's prediction, if he got one, had something to do with somehow saving Jillian's life by being loyal to his future employer (Stanley). Maybe if she had stayed a barbarian her next mercenary mission would have gotten her killed, or perhaps Transylvito would have taken Faq for themselves and disposed of her to prevent anyone else from finding out about its location?

Alternatively, Jack might just be concerned about his own survival.

I'm not convinced that Jack isn't simply under a loyalty spell. Hard to know what he's thinking when 90% of his comments are riddles or somehow cryptic.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
User avatar
sheepfly
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:49 am

Goshen wrote:I can't say why, but his iron bikini over-armor totally reminds me of a diaper. LOL!


Battlethong.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
User avatar
Dr Pepper
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: santa maria, ca

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Justyn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:40 am

Dr Pepper wrote:
Goshen wrote:I can't say why, but his iron bikini over-armor totally reminds me of a diaper. LOL!


Battlethong.


Ossomer's not wearing a thong: thongs don't cover the buttocks (if you wear them right), and whatever Ossomer is wearing covers his.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby GobwinPie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:45 am

Tiger wrote:I'm not sure I like the way Stanley's expressions are drawn. Specifically, his mouth. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem to convey emotion very well.


I agree totally. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the new artwork, especially the detail in the backgrounds, but Stanley is the one thing that bothers me. He's always looked a little bit like a demented muppet (with those black beady eyes), but I think that's been cranked up a bit much.

Tiger wrote:It doesn't look like a marbit. The ears are too red, which makes me think they're something else. Also, Wanda was on the ground before and is now in the air, so she's moving away from the figure, not towards it.


I think that most importantly, it's wearing red and inside GK's hex. It's clearly a GK unit, whatever it is.

sheepfly wrote:Jillian mentioned that she thought Jack had a crush on her, and she was the only one capable of restoring Jack's sanity. [...]


Jack himself mentions after saving Stanley that love makes one a fool. Whatever decisions he's made in the past, he may not be able to face Jillian, not necessarily out of shame or regret as much as painful memories of love lost / never realized. I admit that I don't feel like I have a good bead on the character, and I suspect that when his motivations are explained that they'll be at least as interesting as Wanda's.
User avatar
GobwinPie
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby Yosarian » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm

HandofShadows wrote:I hope Wanda changes her look. I don't like the current one.


Yeah. Wanda's supposed to look like this:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F028.jpg

There's nothing else in the new art that I dislike, but every time I see Wanda, she looks so different from how she's supposed to look, it totally jars me out of the story.
Yosarian
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests