Re: Lord Forecastle, Part 1

Postby Lipkin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 am

Brand new mechanics! Yay!
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SandroTheMaster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:07 am

Hubris Unsinkable, huh? Is it natural signamancy or predictamancy that keep giving away the fate of Warlords in their very names?

Forecastle at sea. This can't end well. I wonder if we will get to know about more obscure casters in this one. And it seems like this is a side in dire need for Lookamancers if they have no idea of what is going on in their colonies and fleets. There's certainly enough reason to hire one from the MK.
3 gaming maxims:
1 - The likeness of a natural 1 is directly proportional to the potential emotional damage of the roll.
2 - Call of Cthulhu games can be shockingly short.
3 - Don't calculate statistics and game. Therein lies madness.
SandroTheMaster

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:51 am

Oooooh very interesting new stuff!
  • Empires seem to be an actual side type, not just a name choice, so perhaps we will learn about that mechanic. Must be some sort of Signamancy agreement, natural or deliberate I'd guess.
  • Ships are popped rather than "built"...perhaps with a crew much like Siege pop with Diggers perhaps?
  • The Seafaring special/denotation seems significant, as is the designation of a maritime side, so perhaps not everyone even has the capability to pop Ships.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:55 am

I suppose its a question of how colonies work. Are they sides that are just closely aligned and laden with contracts and "friendly" units? That would require no new mechanics. Or are they some new rule? It will be nice to see how seas work. And 3000 hexes? That's 60 turns on dwagon back and five fold the distance between the GK and Spacerock.
Lamech

Postby arbo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 am

Awesome opener! Thrilling and mysterious and jargonous and ominous and I can't wait to find out what lies beneath the Hubris Triangle.

TYPO ALERT: "and the at the ball".
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:58 am

Forget a lookamancer, this side needs a thinkamancer.

Well, IMHO, every side needs one of those.

Imagine what this particular side could have done with GKs tri-mancer table?
Radagast

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am

Yeay, that's exciting.

Seaworld!

I bet there's a ghandi character involved, though 'uwotm8' gives it an australian vibe so maybe no.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Free Radical » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 am

SandroTheMaster wrote:I wonder if we will get to know about more obscure casters in this one.

Weirdomancy would seem to have incredibly powerful applications against a fleet of ships - remove the special that allows them to not sink, say, or remove the "seafarer" special of the fleet's warlords and watch them become too incompetent to manage a naval battle.

I wonder if that's how Anchorbar managed to sink Seaworld's fleet so completely?
Free Radical

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:16 am

Excellent theory! If we've learned anything about Erfworld, its that there seem to be checks and balances for everything. No matter how strong some advantage is, it seems that an equally powerful opposite exists.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Keighvin1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:21 am

Nothing to really contribute to theorycrafting, just hoping that there is a warlord called Ronald the Red or something similar amongst the Anchormen.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby arbo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am

Free Radical wrote:I wonder if that's how Anchorbar managed to sink Seaworld's fleet so completely?

Aawww man, I want a Cosmic Horror story in Erfworld :(

What are the odds for a feral Kraken?
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo

Postby Lipkin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:33 am

I wonder how diverse water hexes are. We know weather is terrain, but I've got to wonder if rip tides, whirlpools, and reefs are as well.

I wonder if there is a large hidden reef known as the Ackbarrier.
Lipkin

Postby Knight13 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:43 am

Right now we don't actually know if it's Anchorbar that destroyed the fleets. This page even talked about the Vengeance fleet engaging Anchorbar's main fleet without even losing, let alone being wiped out completely. As others said, most likely something weird is happening.
Last edited by Knight13 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight13

Postby Free Radical » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 am

Lipkin wrote:I wonder how diverse water hexes are. We know weather is terrain, but I've got to wonder if rip tides, whirlpools, and reefs are as well.

A hex of that type made to look like a normal ocean hex by Foolamancy would make for another good way of wiping out an entire fleet.
Free Radical

Postby Lipkin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 am

Free Radical wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I wonder how diverse water hexes are. We know weather is terrain, but I've got to wonder if rip tides, whirlpools, and reefs are as well.

A hex of that type made to look like a normal ocean hex by Foolamancy would make for another good way of wiping out an entire fleet.

I want to make a joke about jamming their natural thinkamancy signals, but I'm too tired to piece it together right now.
Lipkin

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Anybody else getting "It's a trap!" vibes?

SandroTheMaster wrote:Hubris Unsinkable, huh? Is it natural signamancy or predictamancy that keep giving away the fate of Warlords in their very names?

Probably both. Real life predictamancy is often reliant on real life signamancy. Like when Carniac read Digdoug's future through palm reading.
ManaCaster

Postby badninja » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:50 pm

I got a feeling of the old British empire here. I just have a gut feeling that this side will shrink, fast. As for putting Forecastle on the ship it is obvious, he does not have the special ability and the last two ships that have popped have been lost after he attended their launch would be seen as very bad luck. His side is going to try to kill him.

As for why they are disappearing I got a feeling it is going to be Charlie trying to prevent anyone from finding out about how big the World actually is. Charlie is the only person who could be involved in this senerio. Charlie once again is proving to be the kid who likes to lord over everyone with all his might and why he hates Players so much.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja

Postby strijder20 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:02 pm

badninja wrote:I got a feeling of the old British empire here. I just have a gut feeling that this side will shrink, fast. As for putting Forecastle on the ship it is obvious, he does not have the special ability and the last two ships that have popped have been lost after he attended their launch would be seen as very bad luck. His side is going to try to kill him.

As for why they are disappearing I got a feeling it is going to be Charlie trying to prevent anyone from finding out about how big the World actually is. Charlie is the only person who could be involved in this senerio. Charlie once again is proving to be the kid who likes to lord over everyone with all his might and why he hates Players so much.

I don't think they're deliberately trying to kill him - they're just running out of suitable warlords, and Forecastle isn't doing much in Forecastle (Of course, narratively it perfectly makes sense to make a land invasion occur just now).

The way you describe Charlie is not the vibe I'm getting from him at all. Also, Charlie was in the previous story, which makes it a tad less likely for him to appear now too.
strijder20

Postby sdub » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I wonder if the side was able to hire a caster that could shed some light on what happened to the first two fleets? Sort of like a reverse predictamancer.

I don't know if that's within the purview of discipline, but it would be powerful.
sdub

Next

Return to Reactions