Digdoug - Episode 18

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 18

Postby balder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:17 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 18

Postby drachefly » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Yup. No surprises here, but well executed.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Turns out a pit trap could be made on the top of the tower, even though in this case it wasn't. I wonder who activated the lightning trap, though. It wasn't Digdoug, he was too busy reading the scroll. I'm not sure Posbrake has been informed about it. Could it have been Peck?
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Hidden Sanity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Probably their other Caster.
Hidden Sanity

Postby Thomar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Dove was in the tower and had a window. She probably hit Creen with the lightning bolt.
Thomar

Postby Denar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Mrtyuh wrote:Turns out a pit trap could be made on the top of the tower, even though in this case it wasn't. I wonder who activated the lightning trap, though. It wasn't Digdoug, he was too busy reading the scroll. I'm not sure Posbrake has been informed about it. Could it have been Peck?

Or maybe Dove. I think Peck's dead.

Interesting though that we know for sure, that all units of Homekey were literally just given an order to yield though (unless Dove doesn't really count as a unit of Homekey, and just a unit that's currently allied, however those mechanic of a caster-contract work). Or did Digdoug say something earlier like "with any luck, it [the lightning trap] might automagically target a couple of units" - does it need someone to activate it?

Did Dove sell them out?

The Prince flashed another bored, insincere smile. “Loyal? Really Posbrake, you stretch the definition past any sensible meaning. Tell me, which was your finer act of loyalty: violating every promise in our terms of alliance, or using Carnymancy to conceal what you’d done?”

The chill wind on the tower top picked up a bit, as King Posbrake stood there mutely. A knot grew in Digdoug’s stomach. Delkey knew everything, and he couldn’t even begin to grasp what that meant. Had Dove had been playing them after all? Disband it, he should have gone back into the Magic Kingdom and asked someone about Carnies...

Cos, when you ask a question like that, the twist is inevitably a "no". (not that I'm demanding Rob stick to tropes).

I notice in the wiki, that Lady Dove has been attributed as one of the Carnymancer's in the MK when Parson tried running through. Why is that? Because they have the same sort of hat? Or did Rob say so somewhere else?
Denar

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm

Dove certainly could have been the source, and it would explain one thing that confused me. The bolt came from beneath Digdoug's feet. I thought that strange, since I assumed bolts from the lightning trap would come from the rod at the top of the tower. Dove shooting from an arrow loop makes a lot of sense, but I guess that means she knows some Shockamancy as well; that didn't seem like a haboken.

Peck could have activated the trap before he died. Based on the description, I think it only shoots lightning whenever there is a lightning strike in the hex that powers it, so it won't be firing constantly, only sporadically. As for Dove, we just received proof that her spell on Posbrake worked, so I'm leaning towards her acting in good faith. As for Creen knowing about the Carnymancy, it is possible that Delkey's Moneymancer is high enough level to see through Dove's show.

Edit: As for the Wiki, I think it is speculation. Her description, including the hat, was very close to the one in Book 2, so people thought they might be the same Carny.
Last edited by Mrtyuh on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrtyuh

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Denar wrote:I notice in the wiki, that Lady Dove has been attributed as one of the Carnymancer's in the MK when Parson tried running through. Why is that? Because they have the same sort of hat? Or did Rob say so somewhere else?

She isn't a Lady, she is just Dove. And her description matches, both on the hat and her pale skin and dark hair. It's possible that there just happens to be another similar looking carnymancer (her twin sister!) around, but it seems likely they're one and the same. We'll know for sure by the end of the story I'd imagine.

Overall a fun update, but I think a bunch of people predicted the pit trap would be used for a swimming pool high dive off the tower.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Denar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
Denar wrote:I notice in the wiki, that Lady Dove has been attributed as one of the Carnymancer's in the MK when Parson tried running through. Why is that? Because they have the same sort of hat? Or did Rob say so somewhere else?

She isn't a Lady, she is just Dove.

Are you sure?

The woman looked away sadly. “Well, I’m Dove. Lady Dove Barstool.” She offered her hand for a handshake, rather than a kiss. He shook it gently. “But I know you ain’t here to hire a Carny.”

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:And her description matches, both on the hat and her pale skin and dark hair. It's possible that there just happens to be another similar looking carnymancer (her twin sister!) around, but it seems likely they're one and the same.

Well, I mean pale skin isn't exactly very unique in Erfworld. The hat could be a fairly standard magic item for Carnies, or just any caster. I admit though, if Rob didn't want them to be the same person, he certainly made those two identifying aspects very similar. So maybe we were supposed to put two and two together, and I'm just being really stubborn - I'm just trying to justify how Dove's still a "goodie", haha. ATM it's not looking to be in her favour. (edit: oh, good point Mrtyuh, I did forget that her anti-ranged spell functions) I guess we will have to wait!
Denar

Postby Beeskee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm

I have no idea what is going on any more. O.o;

This fight really is a Charlie Foxtrot lol.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm torn about the whole Royal Conduct thing. On the one hand, a lot of the stuff they espouse is about honor and honesty, and that's kinda nice. But at the same time they're so titan's disbanded far up their own asses that I want to punch them.

I sorta wonder if the earliest royalty (the ones supposedly created by the titans to rule) were genuinely concerned about their subjects and trying to rule fairly, but over time the concept of Nobility has been corrupted to the concept of "I'm better than you so deal with it."
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Kaed wrote:I sorta wonder if the earliest royalty (the ones supposedly created by the titans to rule) were genuinely concerned about their subjects and trying to rule fairly, but over time the concept of Nobility has been corrupted to the concept of "I'm better than you so deal with it."
I sincerely think it's actually all about personality, and over time, the "bad" Royals have just happened to be stronger militarily so they always wipe out the "good" Royals. The more and more often that happens, the less likely it is there are any "good" ones around to help educate/raise ones who popped more on the fence.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby shamelessmerc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:47 pm

I think the lightning trap triggered automatically - a "hostile" (ie. non allied) flying unit approaching the tower. If that is the case, it amuses me that it was Creen acting "honourably" (by not dropping his brother) that triggered it.

If that's not the case, then it's fifty/fifty Dove or the King triggering it.

On an unrelated note, if I were Posbrake at this point, I'd be torn between bringing the temple down on my head, or playing it cool and defecting to Numlock at a favourable opportunity (in my headcanon, "Loyalty" is an unknowable stat because there *is* no such stat, just the same kind of loyalty we see here, but worn on your sleeve)
shamelessmerc

Postby atalex » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Actually, I see an alliance between Homekey and Numlock immediately upon the resolution of the current conflict. If Numlock is willing to pay that much to assassinate Posbrake, surely they'd be even more happy to have an alliance with him against Delkey.
atalex

Postby joosy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 pm

I agree that the tower fired automatically (auto-magically?) Digdoug was busy grappling with a spell of his own and wasn't able to concentrate on the tower so it couldn't have been him. Without a mind to guide it, the tower would have gone on auto-pilot and fired at the first enemy unit in range.
joosy

Postby shamelessmerc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:57 pm

0beron wrote:
Kaed wrote:I sorta wonder if the earliest royalty (the ones supposedly created by the titans to rule) were genuinely concerned about their subjects and trying to rule fairly, but over time the concept of Nobility has been corrupted to the concept of "I'm better than you so deal with it."
I sincerely think it's actually all about personality, and over time, the "bad" Royals have just happened to be stronger militarily so they always wipe out the "good" Royals. The more and more often that happens, the less likely it is there are any "good" ones around to help educate/raise ones who popped more on the fence.

A state of hereditary tyranny is inherently unstable, most of the successful real world monarchies are the ones that incorporate *some* democratic elements as a check to an unstable king.

I think that there are probably plenty of functional Erfworld Royal sides, but we don't see them, because the more interesting stories are told in the societies that are in meltdown.

Transylvito functioned very well up until the pressure of the Uncroaked alliance started eating away at resources. We don't know anything about Uniroyal, but Queen Bea herself seemed a nice enough person. Lord Crush of Firstpost was more or less a pacifist for pragmatic reasons, and helped keep together a stable alliance of other kingdoms in mutual support.

We haven't really seen anything of how non-royal sides function. I'd like to see some stories set there for comparison.
shamelessmerc

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 pm

What really intrigues and confuses me is WHY the turn ended in the first place! Why would Charlie go ahead with ending turn before things are sorted?
Unless he WANTS both sides to tear each other apart. After all, the best option is always to shoot the lame runner :p
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:04 pm

0beron wrote:What really intrigues and confuses me is WHY the turn ended in the first place! Why would Charlie go ahead with ending turn before things are sorted?
Unless he WANTS both sides to tear each other apart. After all, the best option is always to shoot the lame runner :p

It was Numloch's turn, so it was they who ended it. Then it was the alliance's turn, but when the alliance broke, it became Delkey's turn with Homekey's suspended until later. The blue dots in the distance are probably the archons rushing to return.
Mrtyuh

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Typo:

"Then six of the archers rose in unison, drew their bows, and loosed a volley at Digdoug faster than he could apprehend."

Unless he's considering grabbing the arrows out of the air perhaps.
cheeseaholic

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Mrtyuh wrote:It was Numloch's turn, so it was they who ended it.
Charlescomm and Numloch are allied, so it was both.
Although actually even as I write that, I realize what happened.
  1. Dawn
  2. Numloch's turn, with Charlescomm allied, both acting together
  3. Same turn, Charlie completes his work with Numloch per whatever contract was happening there, and thus breaks alliance.
  4. Forms a new alliance with Delkey (and thus Homekey too), leaving Numloch as the only ones technically "on turn"
  5. Being the only ones "on turn", then yes it must have been Numloch who ended that first turn.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions