Digdoug - Episode 12

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby Tarian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

Here's my little theory.

The attack goes off just as planned. However, the real attack comes after Charlie's fake attack by non-Charlescomm forces. Guess who's in the area with a powerful force that is airborne and is available for hire?

This way, Charlie gets paid for 1) The attempt to attack the city; 2) The fake attack on the city; 3) Actually defending the city. All of his contracts work, he gets paid 3 times, and he can likely demand an exorbitant price from the king to save his side.
I'm not crazy. The voices told me I'm not.
User avatar
Tarian
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby jkosta » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:42 am

Something you guys are neglecting with the whole "kill the side/Posbrake and there is no one to pay the fine to":

Erfworld isn't our world. The fine might simply be applied to Charlie and disappear into the air, the same way rations are popped from nothing. I would honestly find that more believable.
jkosta
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby auraseer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:42 pm

I just had another thought. We're all speculating about ways Charlie might get around the contract, but that's not actually necessary. What if Homekey breaks it?

For instance, Homekey is required to hit the attackers with a minimum of force. If they were to change their mind and unload full-power shots to start croaking Archons, I'm sure that would break the contract. They would have to pay the contract penalty, and more importantly, Charlie would become free to try and collect the bounty.

Homekey certainly wouldn't break the contract on purpose, but there are all kinds of ways to trick or force them into doing so. Thinkamancy could interfere with Digdoug's control of the tower and make him fire stronger shots than intended. Foolamancy could make an Archon look like a dangerous Numloch unit that needs to be really shot down. Carnymancy on one Archon might say "Any ranged attack that hits this unit this turn will be a critical." Hired barbarian casters might do any number of unexpected things.

This would be sneaky and devious and would let Charlie keep his reputation for never breaking a contract.
auraseer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:09 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby bladestorm » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:05 pm

auraseer wrote:I just had another thought. We're all speculating about ways Charlie might get around the contract, but that's not actually necessary. What if Homekey breaks it?

For instance, Homekey is required to hit the attackers with a minimum of force. If they were to change their mind and unload full-power shots to start croaking Archons, I'm sure that would break the contract. They would have to pay the contract penalty, and more importantly, Charlie would become free to try and collect the bounty.

Homekey certainly wouldn't break the contract on purpose, but there are all kinds of ways to trick or force them into doing so. Thinkamancy could interfere with Digdoug's control of the tower and make him fire stronger shots than intended. Foolamancy could make an Archon look like a dangerous Numloch unit that needs to be really shot down. Carnymancy on one Archon might say "Any ranged attack that hits this unit this turn will be a critical." Hired barbarian casters might do any number of unexpected things.

This would be sneaky and devious and would let Charlie keep his reputation for never breaking a contract.

Charlescomm could have their attack stack screened by a single Archon that was somehow damaged enough to only have 1 HP to begin with, so minimum damage would still croak her. Charlescomm gets paid for the breaking of the contract, gets to go full scale assault and claim the bounty, and gets paid by all contracts involving this battle. He sacrifices one Archon to ensure he gets paid to turn this into a win-win situation. Would be very similar to hiring an Archon out on full contract.

Or, with the 'withdraw from combat' terminology, Parson withdrew the first stack of dwagons after taking a few hits, then rotated them with dwagons at full hp. he didn't win, but he also didn't lose, and the RCC lost close to 40% of their seige.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby BakaGrappler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 pm

This tale now has me by the throat.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
User avatar
BakaGrappler
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby Citric Thoughts » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 am

Hmm. I think the whole thing is a scheme by Charlie to get rid of a side that he finds troubling. The particular strategy Lord Posbrake is using is undoubtedly an excellent one. Charlie won't want any truly strong leaders out in the world. As such he'll be doing his best to pick off the most adept rulers.

So it's pretty likely the whole thing is a shell game. He set Dove, he might have even set the predictamancer somehow (perhaps not directly). Dove works for him. She's legitimately doing what she was paid to do; that's not the con. She'll cast the spell and cast it right.

But all it really takes is a betrayal to kill the king. If anyone next to him stabs him, he's dead. If Charlie brings along air units that are a part of a force that are NOT a part of the contract Posbrake may have his hands tied.

And of course Carnymancy has a price too. Much of this simply could have been getting the king to pay it so that he'd be under Charlie's control.

They're smart people but they are absolutely getting played. Dove might not even go against them directly, but make no mistake - she'll be playing to Charlie's plans, not Posbrakes. She's almost certainly under contract with Charlie herself. As we all know people under that sort of agreement really have no choice in their actions.
User avatar
Citric Thoughts
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:26 am

I don't think this story is going to hinge on Charlie finding minute loopholes in a contract. That's not good storytelling, and Rob is an excellent storyteller. I think the twist, when it comes, is going to be something to do with the costs associated with Carnymancy. These bonus stories seem designed to teach us something about Erfworld that is relevant for Parson's story. Lord Crush taught us about alliances. I think this one is about Carnymancy.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby Godzfirefly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Citric Thoughts wrote:But all it really takes is a betrayal to kill the king. If anyone next to him stabs him, he's dead. If Charlie brings along air units that are a part of a force that are NOT a part of the contract Posbrake may have his hands tied.


I've seen more than one person say that, but it seems to completely ignore how Erfworld combat works.

1) You can't attack an ally in Erfworld, you have to Turn or break alliance first. And, if you did Turn or break alliance, then you'd have to fight through the screening golems and such (led by Digdoug) to hit the King.
2) A Carnymancer might be able to break the numerous rules to get at the King directly (if she had enough juice after the spells she was ordered to cast), but then she'd have to do enough Hits to him to kill him...either multiple hits while the golems and such stand by watching or a crit from a unit that isn't designed for physical combat.

If Posbrake dies, it will have to be either alongside his whole stack, before the battle, or after the battle. (And, let's face it, if Dove really wanted to assassinate Posbrake, she's had plenty of opportunities with him alone and next to the Portal. She could just...pull him in after her or something.)

GWvsJohn wrote:These bonus stories seem designed to teach us something about Erfworld that is relevant for Parson's story. Lord Crush taught us about alliances. I think this one is about Carnymancy.


As I understand the bonus stories, they're meant to parallel some life events of the Kickstart backer. So, while they may also teach us things about Erfworld mechanics, the story itself may not follow a pattern that Rob normally uses. Or, it might..."inspired by" is such a loose term.
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby Roszlishan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:26 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:I don't think this story is going to hinge on Charlie finding minute loopholes in a contract. That's not good storytelling ... think this one is about Carnymancy.


Yes. A good story is about the protagonist, and the antagonist. The protagonist is clearly Lord Digdoug; the antagonist seems to be Fate itself (which, to Lord Digdoug's frame of mind, won at the battle of Weatherbug -- however the results of that battle are seen in the remainder of Homekey).

Charlie might produce treachery, but as a culmination of a story, that would be unsatisfying. Satisfying would be a more triumphant version of what happened at Weatherbug -- Lord Digdoug's magic saved the city, but this time, he can save the units, as well. This might well require a Carnymancer booster -- indeed, it should, given the close involvement of Lady Dove and Charlie.
Roszlishan
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 12

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm hoping that the Chief Warlord betrays the side for the good of the side. He doesn't believe Charlie, and he could get some backing from Homekey. A big point in Erfworld is that it's made up of individuals. And the Chief is a character who's already proven himself a bit disloyal by ordering more air defenses and archers, and is in a position where he might be able to actually do something about it.

Possibly he arrives back in the capital after the attack and some more time by flying mount, for added fun. Or maybe the prediction is fulfilled from this, but since the king focused on the attack so much he didn't pay as much attention to everything else so that he lost his chief and his new one turned disloyal.
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TurtlesAWD and 14 guests