Digdoug - Episode 8

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 8

Postby Lipkin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:54 am

Huh. Rigging in that sense is the "magic" that brings the illusion to life. "Rigging the game" could literally mean "the magic of the game's rigging." How everything works, on a meta level. What if Carnies are like the protagonists of the Matrix? They know the world they are in is simulated, so they know some rules can be bent, and others can be broken? Or something?

At any rate, very clever word play. Don't know if it will come into play, but it would be cool if it did.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby joosy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:Hmm, her hat has the Signamancy of Three Card Monte, but her name would seem to Signify that she's the Shill, rather than a Dealer - perhaps an indication of how she works best? What's the main attraction, I wonder?

Somewhere below the neck and above the diaphragm I would guess. :)
joosy

Postby Lamech » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:00 pm

joosy wrote:
Jacinth and Rubies wrote:Hmm, her hat has the Signamancy of Three Card Monte, but her name would seem to Signify that she's the Shill, rather than a Dealer - perhaps an indication of how she works best? What's the main attraction, I wonder?

Her heart? Wouldn't that croak her? I mean, maybe an Erfworlder could have it removed and not die, especially with carnymancy. I suppose you could mean the lungs, or bone or something, but none of that stuff is any good. To crunchy/tough, or basically air. And all the other stuff is just too fattening.

Hmm... I bet their is some heart powered naughtymancy. And TV team can probably eat them. And there has got to be some powerful signamancy from eating a heart of a caster. I can definitely see it!
Lamech

Postby bladestorm » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:
Hmm, her hat has the Signamancy of Three Card Monte, but her name would seem to Signify that she's the Shill, rather than a Dealer - perhaps an indication of how she works best? What's the main attraction, I wonder?

If she is the Shill, would she actually be a Carny? Or perhaps an infiltrator from a different discipline that can mimic Carny abilities, and she actually has a vested interest in a different group? Hmm, may have to check back into her behavior when she is around the other carnies to see if she is suspicious.....

Or maybe she IS a carny, but one that survived the fall of her side by changing gender and fleeing with the arkentool....TINFOIL TIME! And that could mean the Archons have been made in the image of their Overlord....
bladestorm

Postby asparagus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Jacinth and Rubies wrote:....TINFOIL TIME! And that could mean the Archons have been made in the image of their Overlord....

All this time and I never got that cultural reference. The Arkendish is a reference to the tinfoil-hat conspiracy meme!
asparagus

Postby Free Radical » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

asparagus wrote:All this time and I never got that cultural reference. The Arkendish is a reference to the tinfoil-hat conspiracy meme!

Could you explain that reference?
Free Radical

Postby asparagus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Free Radical wrote:
asparagus wrote:All this time and I never got that cultural reference. The Arkendish is a reference to the tinfoil-hat conspiracy meme!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat
asparagus

Postby Free Radical » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:59 pm

asparagus wrote:
Free Radical wrote:

Could you explain that reference in relation to the Arkendish?
Free Radical

Postby asparagus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Free Radical wrote:Could you explain that reference in relation to the Arkendish?

We would need tin-foil hats to defend ourselves against the arkendish. The thinkamancers have their temple but somebody is bound to have constructed a tin-foil hat as a portable defence.
asparagus

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Free Radical wrote:
asparagus wrote:
Free Radical wrote:Could you explain that reference?

Could you explain that reference in relation to the Arkendish?
I'll help you sir!

Tin Foil Hat:
Over time the term has been associated with paranoia and conspiracy theories. They are worn by believers to prevent mind control by governments, spies, or paranormal beings, employing ESP or technologies such as microwave radiation.

Micro Wave Conspiracies:
The microwave auditory effect, also known as the microwave hearing effect or the Frey effect, consists of audible clicks (or, with modulation, whole words) induced by pulsed/modulated microwave frequencies. The clicks are generated directly inside the human head without the need of any receiving electronic device. The effect was first reported by persons working in the vicinity of radar transponders during World War II. These induced sounds are not audible to other people nearby. The microwave auditory effect was later discovered to be inducible with shorter-wavelength portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. During the Cold War era, the American neuroscientist Allan H. Frey studied this phenomenon and was the first to publish information on the nature of the microwave auditory effect.

Parson could hear something like clicking in his mind, little cutoff syllables of words.

Numerous individuals suffering from auditory hallucinations, delusional disorders or other mental illness have claimed that government agents use microwave signals to transmit sounds and thoughts into their heads, referring to the technology as "voice to skull" or "V2K".

Parabolic Dish
A parabolic antenna is an antenna that uses a parabolic reflector, a curved surface with the cross-sectional shape of a parabola, to direct the radio waves. The most common form is shaped like a dish and is popularly called a dish antenna or parabolic dish.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Free Radical » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks. Now that you point it out, I can see the similarities. The clicking in Parson's mind while the Thinkamancers were discussing among themselves does seem to match that description pretty well.
Free Radical

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Yeah, and Jacks brain and eye scanning powers are almost exactly like Van Eck phreaking. I really worry that people on this forum would not know enough about information security to be doing work for the Magic Kingdom's ultimate conspiracy.

Aaaaany way. Back to the question of rigging the rules, I had to wonder what other jobs might count as natural Carnymancy. This led to this wiki link on rigging, and memories of a song from a movie...

Sing along now!

When I was first being popped by natural conjuration
The Titans said "Now son, this choice deserves deliberation
Though you could be a doctor or perhaps a Moneymancier
My boy why not consider a more challenging career"
Hey ho ho
You'll have gigs on foreign shores
And you'll keep your mind and body sound
By Rigging out of doors
True friendship and adventure are what we can't live without
And when you're a professional Carny
That's what the job's about

"UpStage, lads, this is my ONLY Number!"

Now take the ruler of Efbaum, the Great Minds all despise him
But to his side he's a hero and they idolize him
It's how you look at Carnymancers that makes them bad or good
And I see us as members of a noble brotherhood
Hey ho ho
We're honorable men
And before we lose our tempers we will always count to ten
On occasion there may be someone you have to execute
But when your a professional Carny
You don't have to wear a suit..... what?
I could have been a Healer
I like taking things apart
I could have been a Signer
But I just had too much heart
I could have been an Overlord
Cause I've always been a big spender
And me...I could have been a contender
Some say that Carnies steal and should be feared and hated
I say we're victims of bad press it's all exaggerated
We'd never stab you in the back, we'd never lie or cheat
We're just about the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet

Hey ho ho
It's one for all for one
And we'll share and share alike with you and love you like a son
We're gentlemen of fortune and that's what we're proud to be
And when your a professional Carny
You'll be honest brave and free
The soul of decency
You'll be loyal and fair and on the square
And most importantly
When you're a professional Carny
You're always in the best of company

And now I will always hear Jojo's voice as Tim Curry's.
Last edited by Shai_hulud on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 am

bladestorm wrote:If she is the Shill, would she actually be a Carny? Or perhaps an infiltrator from a different discipline that can mimic Carny abilities, and she actually has a vested interest in a different group? Hmm, may have to check back into her behavior when she is around the other carnies to see if she is suspicious.....

Or maybe she IS a carny

Oh, she's a Carny all right. According to Wikipedia,

"[Shill] originally denoted a carnival worker who pretended to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction."

So, shilling was originally a Carny-type act in the first place - I guess it makes sense that trickery and cons go hand in hand with the Carnymancers. I just hope Digdoug and his Side are not her intended Mark, but that she's honestly looking for work.

joosy wrote:

Well now, you just scream "easy dupe", don't you?
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Lilwik » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 am

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:I just hope Digdoug and his Side are not her intended Mark, but that she's honestly looking for work.
I'm sure she'll do the job she's being paid to do as well as she can. Everyone in Erfworld wants shmuckers, so she's going to want to leave Homekey with the impression that she did a good job so that they may hire her again or at least provide good word of mouth. It seems unlikely that she could seem to do a good job without actually doing what they ask her to do.

I can't completely rule out the possibility that she somehow arranged for Homekey to need a Carnymancer. That would mean Homekey is both a mark and a serious job opportunity, but even that seems unlikely since Carnymancers are highly distrusted and rarely hired. It seems that she would have had to go to all the effort of putting Homekey into a bad situation while knowing that Homekey probably still wouldn't want to hire a Carnymancer.

I suspect that before it is over this story will reveal that Carnymancers don't uniformly deserve their terrible reputation. That seems to be the direction that the story is heading, considering that we've just learned that Predictamancers are considered bad luck, and we already know that's not true.
Lilwik

Postby Free Radical » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:42 pm

When Follywood traded him for Prince Pluss, the exchange was conducted at sea, even though he could more easily (and safely) have stayed home and crossed through their capitals’ respective portals.

Since Follywood traded Prince Pluss for DigDoug by sea, I wonder if they could be the side due to attack Homekey? If the attacker is anyone other than Delkey, it seems likely to be someone from over the sea, what with the capital being situated by the estuary of the Backslush river.

Prince Pluss likely had a decent idea of the strategic state of Homekey, and would know that the capital wasn't set up for air defence and was considered secure enough from the frontline that it wouldn't need a particularly huge garrison.

He'd know that his father traded his heir specifically because he thought he could have something more valuable, so he wouldn't be planning to pop a new heir, which would mean that if they took the capital all their other cities would turn neutral to be sacked or conquered at Follywood's leisure.

If Posbrake had explained his reasoning for the trade to Pluss (and he seems the type who would do so), they might even expect a decent chance of finding DigDoug in one of the neutral cities to be captured and re-turned.

So, the strategic situation would probably look good for Pluss to plan a surprise capital strike by air, with the attack likely to have a very good return in shmuckers, and with the possibility of getting their Dirtamancer back for free into the bargain. Follywood doesn't seem to have any particular agreement not to do something like this, they're the only side we've heard mentioned besides Delkey who seem a likely possibility, and it would probably make a good climax to the story to have Prince Pluss returning to the city at the head of an invasion.
Free Radical

Postby asparagus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Free Radical wrote:Since Follywood traded Prince Pluss for DigDoug by sea, I wonder if they could be the side due to attack Homekey?

All very plausible but I hope there is more to the story than that.
asparagus

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm expecting an unexpected attack from left field by Paige. Using Turnamancy. ;)
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby BakaGrappler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

I am WAAAAAAAY overdue for commenting on the story. It's been a hectic few weeks.

I'm loving it. We're getting more and more insight into the way sides operate and I think we now know why the king is PosBreak, because he's breaking with tradition to try and make advances. And having a caster enter the MK and NOT treat it like it's no biggy, that is really refreshing. And we're also getting the chance to see more into various caster types. Me, I'm really interested in hearing Lady Dove give some kind of explanation about Carnymancy aside from "It's the magic of breaking the rules."

And the very idea of combining a Predictamancer and a Carnymancer. One who foretells fate, and one who defies it. PosBreak has my admiration, and that is something that is decidedly rare amongst the Royal rulers we have met in Erf.

I've also noticed that there is a larger number of named characters in this story, and that's allowing a lot more leeway in where the tale goes. But Lord Crush's story was one of an inmate, so scarce fellowship kinda goes hand in hand with that.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Lilwik » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 pm

BakaGrappler wrote:Me, I'm really interested in hearing Lady Dove give some kind of explanation about Carnymancy aside from "It's the magic of breaking the rules."
Agreed. I'm hugely excited about that. I hope we can leave the whole rule breaking idea behind forever. After all, Carnymancy is said to be about rigging, not breaking, and magic of breaking rules doesn't even make sense. All magic makes things possible that otherwise wouldn't be impossible; that's why it's call magic, so it doesn't mean anything to pick a particular kind of magic and say that one is the one that breaks rules. Calling Carnymancy the magic of breaking rules says absolutely nothing about what Carnymancy can do. Very soon that won't be a problem because we'll know what Carnymancy can do.
Lilwik

Postby asparagus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:37 am

BakaGrappler wrote:I've also noticed that there is a larger number of named characters in this story, ...

That may have some thing more to do with the naming formula. I imagine Rob was staring a his keyboard trying to work out what to call the characters.
asparagus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions