Digdoug - Episode 4

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 4

Postby spriteless » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Zeroberon

Well, Dirtamancers seem really useful in the field, it could be that they rarely see the magic kingdom because they are too busy. It is only once all the cities and other infrastructures are upgraded and they can only build golems that they have enough free time to even bother. Dig Doug hasn't gotten to that point because he was traded away as soon as the cities were all upgraded.

Or maybe the MK and its portals don't exist yet, and we will see how lore gets around in Erfworld. Or MAYBE he is a really young virgin guy who knows he is inexperienced in the abstract way stupidworld teenagers know they are inexperienced and still act like they know everything.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby bladestorm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:08 am

Arky wrote:Oh, and could someone explain to me the joke in Chief Bucky Bits' name? I don't get it.

A bucky bit is a bit in a binary representation of a character that is set by pressing on a keyboard modifier key other than the shift key. So alt, control, meta, option, or command. Five out of the six keys depressed for the seal could represent these bucky bits. I expect at least one more of the modifier keys to be name-dropped before this story arc wraps up.
bladestorm

Postby Free Radical » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 am

King Posbrake's city organisation sounds very Signamancy-like, very neat and getting as much function out of everything as possible. In fact, it sounds very Parson-like and I wonder if there are any other similarities between a Signamancy-minded king and the possibly Signamancer/Warlord Parson.

Having DigDoug come to the capital with the goal of upgrading the tower for spell defence is interesting since he's apparently their only caster and has already mentioned he's been upgrading their cities since he joined the side. So.. what spell defences is he boosting if he hasn't put anything on it himself?

Is he only boosting the defences he'll be able to hang on the tower himself over the next few turns, or could the king actually be a full Signamancer who has been adding spells himself since the foundation of the side?
Free Radical

Postby mortissimus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 am

I think it is likely Digdoug has never been to the MK. Dirtamancers can't be that rare, considering the short time it takes for the mancers to find one to undo Sizemore's pyramid.
mortissimus

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am

Arky wrote:...else that Dirtamancers are SO unusual in the MK that he hasn't run into one while he's there (which is quite possible, since we know Sizemore is popular in large part due to the scarcity of Dirtamancers in the MK).
I feel like that would have the opposite effect. Being so rare, it seems to me that they would hear of each other and be encouraged to meet (speaking from experience being the token gay guy in high school...friends will try to set you up with ANYONE ekse who is too)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Gathrun » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:41 pm

DolGrenn wrote:Prince Creen...

...genius. :D

I only just got Duke Eften and King Posbrake. :oops:

*hangs head in shame*
Gathrun

Postby bladestorm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Has anyone gone through and listed the references in this story arc yet?
bladestorm

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Gathrun wrote:
DolGrenn wrote:Prince Creen...

...genius. :D

I only just got Duke Eften and King Posbrake. :oops:

*hangs head in shame*

I still haven't.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:I still haven't.

Really? They're all keys on a keyboard
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I admit it diiiiid take me a while to figure out which one Eften was talking about, cus I kept on trying to make it one word in my head like Prince Creen
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

After all the bad kybard puns, I sooo want there to be a side called Anykey and have it being run run by a pair of bodybuilding brothers :mrgreen:
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Arky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:After all the bad kybard puns, I sooo want there to be a side called Anykey and have it being run run by a pair of bodybuilding brothers :mrgreen:

Dearie me. The Anykey pressers would be hilarious....

It's a shame that Digdoug came back by air and not by boat, or he could have passed through a lock on the Caps canal.
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Arky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 pm

0beron wrote:
Arky wrote:...else that Dirtamancers are SO unusual in the MK that he hasn't run into one while he's there (which is quite possible, since we know Sizemore is popular in large part due to the scarcity of Dirtamancers in the MK).
I feel like that would have the opposite effect. Being so rare, it seems to me that they would hear of each other and be encouraged to meet (speaking from experience being the token gay guy in high school...friends will try to set you up with ANYONE ekse who is too)

Have we ever seen Sizemore refer to meeting other Dirtamancers or being friends with other Dirtamancers?

Anyway, the most likely reason is that Digdoug has never been to the MK at all.
Arky

Postby Beeskee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Something posted earlier has got me wondering if there might be some thinkamancy involved, since we've seen the odd impulses earlier and Doug's sudden "intrusive" thought now.

I'm not saying it's Charlie, there are other Thinkamancers in Erfworld. :D

Also I'm having a hard time visualizing the seals on the envelope for some reason, and I'd love to see what it looks like. This side seems highly organized. Maybe their library got a few noteworthy books. :)
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Beeskee wrote:Also I'm having a hard time visualizing the seals on the envelope for some reason, and I'd love to see what it looks like.
Look at your keyboard. Consider these 6 keys that are usually grouped together: Insert, Home, Page Up, Delete, End, Page Down. Erase the labels on the keys, then press all of them except the Home key and hold them down. That is royal seal of Homekey.
Lilwik

Postby Omnimancer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Arky wrote:Have we ever seen Sizemore refer to meeting other Dirtamancers or being friends with other Dirtamancers?

You'd think that visiting the magic kingdom would be one of the earliest things a caster would do though. If you pop in a capital the portal is right there, so you might as well walk through and look around. It's not like it requires any move to do so. And if you pop in a different city you'd think a ruler would want to meet their new caster before too long, so you're bound to visit the capitol eventually.

Sizemore almost certainly knows other dirtamancers in the Magic Kingdom, since he was very social there and knew lots of people. I suspect it isn't that Dirtamancers are astoundingly rare, but just rare enough that demand for their services far outstrips the number available:

Dirtamancy was among the most rare and useful disciplines here. Everyone needed a wall built, a garden tilled, a well dug, a foundation excavated. There were no city sites; construction was a manual industry.

So it isn't necessarily that Dirtamancers are a rare class overall. It might just be they are rare in MK, and everyone is clamoring for their help.

Here's a theory: what if Dirtmamancers are rare in the magic kingdom because they're really more useful for building/defending cities. The stuff they do in the magic kingdom is mostly for comfort/aesthetics/convenience, and ultimately less important So the titans usually pop them working for cities where they're needed, rather than as free casters. Most Dirtmancers might be like Sizemore, working for a side and only able to freelance in MK occasionally.

Another possibility is that sides with Dirtamancers are relatively advantaged in wars because they have more defendable cities. That means sides with Dirtmancers fall less often, so fewer have to escape as refugees to the Magic Kingdom. So there might be two reasons why Dirtamancers are rare in MK.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 am

GWvsJohn wrote:Really? They're all keys on a keyboard
Despite using a computer, I don't actually know much about them. I swear that after high school, I actually forgot my laptop could be turned off by holding the power button down.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Arky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 am

Omnimancer wrote:
Arky wrote:Have we ever seen Sizemore refer to meeting other Dirtamancers or being friends with other Dirtamancers?

You'd think that visiting the magic kingdom would be one of the earliest things a caster would do though. If you pop in a capital the portal is right there, so you might as well walk through and look around. It's not like it requires any move to do so. And if you pop in a different city you'd think a ruler would want to meet their new caster before too long, so you're bound to visit the capitol eventually.

Probably requires permission from the ruler, though, and maybe many of them aren't thrilled with the idea of the prized asset going off somewhere outside the ruler's domain and possibly letting slip Titans-know-what information to casters employed by Titans-know-who.

A caster popped in service to a side and who has never been to the Magic Kingdom probably doesn't know enough about it to know he wants to go there. Gobwin Knob's casters are insanely experienced and well-travelled (and in the case of the ex-FAQ contingent, were insanely experienced and well-travelled even then) and because Wanda has Stanley under her thumb they can do whatever they like pretty much. It's hard to compare their behaviour to a relatively new caster who has never known any life beyond serving a couple of small-time sides and who does not so far as we know have a bunch of other casters to chat with.
Arky

Postby 0beron » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 am

Omnimancer wrote:Here's a theory: what if Dirtmamancers...usually pop working for cities where they're needed, rather than as free casters. Most Dirtmancers might be like Sizemore, working for a side and only able to freelance in MK occasionally.
Casters very very rarely just pop freely. The only example is Tasha, and she only managed to reach the MK because she was a Thinkamancer, and got lucky in who she contacted. It's even explicitly stated at one point that all casters in the MK are from fallen sides, and that there was supposed to be no shame in that apparent "failure" to save one's side, unless you were a Predictamancer. So Dirtamancers' rarity in the MK means that either they are a rare caster type in general, or they are for some reason less likely to survive the fall of their side due to where/what they would be doing at the time. Both possibilities seem equally plausible to me.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 am

Possibly they'd be less likely to survive because in the last battle for the capital, they'd be out in the field fighting with traps and golems. Maybe the ones that are more likely to make their way back is those who don't have much to contribute to the direct combat effort? Moneymancers or something, who would spend all their juice before the battle starts and then have no good reason to stay and fight rather than escape?

Dunno, I'm just guessing.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions