Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 4

Postby balder » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 4

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Typo:
This tower right under his butt was already the strongest air defense in the kingdom, by far. (He guessed Weatherbug was now second, actually, since he’d spend his juice on the tower upgrade before getting into the transport unit.)
Seems to me it should read "spent" not "spend"
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Parent side is low on cash and wants to raze a bunch of cities? :)
Radagast

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Queue Jillian cameo again? Numloch hired some air power cus they knew Homekey wouldn't be prepared for it?
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 pm

It's either Jill or Charlie, either way this is going to be nasty...
fjolnir

Postby MadZuri » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:07 pm

It doesn't have to be a cameoflaged attack, there are plenty of mercenaries in the world... but knowing Erfworld, I wouldn't bet any q's on it either way.
MadZuri

Postby fjolnir » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 pm

"He looked at the ground far below and had a weird, intrusive thought. If he jumped off the tower and began tunneling straight down, how much farther than ground level would he fall before impact? Could a master-class Dirtamancer tunnel fast enough to use all of his juice up first? If he did leap or fall, could he create a water trap or something below him that would deaden his impact and mitigate the fall damage?"

an interesting thought, probably the closest we've seen to a unit actually propose something that may in fact bump up against the rules...
fjolnir

Postby Gorky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm guessing some sort of fight with Delkey, but JIllian cameo is not a bad idea. In any case, Weatherbug will probably be destroyed.
Gorky

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Damn. So buildings actually have some sort of stone nervous system? That's amazing. Like, there are pressure sensors all over the city, and pain/damage detectors? Is that how Dirt golems work? Is that how the bodies of units work too? Could a Dirtamancer wire this system into a human body to create cyborg golem limbs? Could you animate whole buildings into giant units? Could a defensive tower or chunk of wall just get up and walk a few hexes away?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Omnimancer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Damn. So buildings actually have some sort of stone nervous system? That's amazing. Like, there are pressure sensors all over the city, and pain/damage detectors? Is that how Dirt golems work? Is that how the bodies of units work too? Could a Dirtamancer wire this system into a human body to create cyborg golem limbs? Could you animate whole buildings into giant units? Could a defensive tower or chunk of wall just get up and walk a few hexes away?

I don't think it's that buildings are alive, but that dirtamancers can sense strong and weak points in construction, where loads are distributed, what's vital for support, etc.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah, they seem to apply anthropomorphism to buildings in a sense, and the earth as well to a degree, as a way of relating to it.
Buildings probably do have "senses" that register when they are occupied or used, which would connect to Warlord's senses of whether the city they're managing is entered. But I wouldn't say that makes them "alive" in the strict sense, it's just information.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby DolGrenn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Prince Creen...

...genius. :D
DolGrenn

Postby My2Cents » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Not quite sure what he's going for in the architecture.
It sounds like office buildings with gardens.

Is there some obvious reference I'm missing?
My2Cents

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 pm

My2Cents wrote:Not quite sure what he's going for in the architecture.
It sounds like office buildings with gardens.

Is there some obvious reference I'm missing?

The additional tower supports sound like flying buttresses; perhaps King Posbrake has designed his kingdom to look like a traditional European abbey, with the farms behind the walls, and everyone having a job to do?

On another note, it sounds like things are not well at all between Homekey and Delkey - seems like there is a vast ideological gap between Posbrake and Prince Creen. A war on two fronts would be very dangerous.
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Considering there are Delkey units mixed in with Homekey's? It would be really bad if infighting started.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Lipkin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Betting Duke Eften and the soldiers from Delkey attack Weatherbug when Delkey breaks alliance.

Shai_hulud wrote:Damn. So buildings actually have some sort of stone nervous system? That's amazing. Like, there are pressure sensors all over the city, and pain/damage detectors? Is that how Dirt golems work? Is that how the bodies of units work too? Could a Dirtamancer wire this system into a human body to create cyborg golem limbs? Could you animate whole buildings into giant units? Could a defensive tower or chunk of wall just get up and walk a few hexes away?

Don't forget that Sizemore has begun to see Erf as being like a human body. This sounds like the same sort of understanding.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Considering that the number of DelKey units in HomeKey cities seem to be outnumbered, if HomeKey ended the alliance and allied with NumLock, it may be a very bold and sweeping ambush.

Let's look at the ideas behind the building of the tower of HomeKey, since it's an idea of the inside of Posbrake's mind. Unorthodox, but practical. Necessity residing right beside relaxation. Everyone has a task to do, and that they are suited for. Optimization within style, and practical sturdiness above all. And the Sun Tzu method of fooling your allies in order to fool your enemies.

I think King Posbrake is going to break alliance with the home nation the instant his popinjay brother is right in his grasp, getting personal sibling revenge at the same time as robbing DelKey of their Chief Warlord. OOOOOOR, DelKey has been planning to... erase HomeKey and Posbrake has learned of it's coming, and so has issued the emergency recall of DigDoug.

Interesting to note that all our ideas on the current fate of Lady Chains was one huge red herring. I was simultaneously let down by not being able to see a Ravenholm Dirtamancy Last-Stand, and intrigued by Posbrake's actions here. I came into this expecting an action flick, and I'm getting a suspense story!
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 pm

Another interesting thought occurs. Digdoug has never met another Dirtamancer, which I would interpret as meaning either this takes place before GK exists or he's never been allowed to go to the MK. Dirtamancers are rock stars there, and we know Sizemore at least was especially popular. So given their sparse numbers and resulting popularity, for Dirtamancers not to have met one another seems odd to me.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Arky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 pm

0beron wrote:Another interesting thought occurs. Digdoug has never met another Dirtamancer, which I would interpret as meaning either this takes place before GK exists or he's never been allowed to go to the MK. Dirtamancers are rock stars there, and we know Sizemore at least was especially popular. So given their sparse numbers and resulting popularity, for Dirtamancers not to have met one another seems odd to me.

Strongly suggests he hasn't been allowed to go to the MK, or else that Dirtamancers are SO unusual in the MK that he hasn't run into one while he's there (which is quite possible, since we know Sizemore is popular in large part due to the scarcity of Dirtamancers in the MK).

Also, it's hilarious that his description of King PosBrake as a strange and difficult man to talk to, which he thinks to be nothing like a Dirtamancer, would basically describe Sizemore. Or, for that matter, Digdoug as seen by everyone other than Lady Chains.

Oh, and could someone explain to me the joke in Chief Bucky Bits' name? I don't get it.
Arky

Postby Arky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Lipkin wrote:Betting Duke Eften and the soldiers from Delkey attack Weatherbug when Delkey breaks alliance.

Don't forget that Sizemore has begun to see Erf as being like a human body. This sounds like the same sort of understanding.

So like a human body that a Volcano could be uncroaked. Indeed.
Arky

Next

Return to Reactions