Epilogue 17 - Parson's Staff Meeting

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 17 - Parson's Staff Meeting

Postby ftl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:11 am

MonteCristo wrote:
I think the reason parson wants to create a mindless, non-living unit, is because he doesn't want to go sending living units on what may be a suicide scouting mission.

And/or to protect against Charlie's thinkamancy. You can't thinkamance something that's brainless!
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby bpzinn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 am

warriortribble wrote:
niklinna wrote:It's perfectly grammatical English. Using "that" adds a bit more emphasis than using "the".

Fair enough. Seeing "that noun that" still feels a touch weird to me though.

And thus do I dub thee...

Quibble Tribble!

:P
bpzinn

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:54 am

Units with the Foolamancy special, like Archons, can see right through veils, and Parson should know that. So unless he merely simulates Foolamancy with Dollamancy, like what Olive Branch did with Flower Power, there's no way the stealth golem will work against Charlie directly. Does "marching into Mordor" mean he's going to send it through Charlescomm's portal, or does he have something more complicated in mind?
ManaCaster

Postby Arky » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:01 am

ManaCaster wrote:Units with the Foolamancy special, like Archons, can see right through veils, and Parson should know that. So unless he merely simulates Foolamancy with Dollamancy, like what Olive Branch did with Flower Power, there's no way the stealth golem will work against Charlie directly. Does "marching into Mordor" mean he's going to send it through Charlescomm's portal, or does he have something more complicated in mind?

He could potentially send it to walk all the way to Charlescomm, however far that is, but that's a long time to wait for intelligence. Dollars to donuts he's planning on sending it through the portal and seeing how long it takes to get detected, although honestly- Charlie would be insane not to have his portal room warded up with the best defensive spells he can arrange as well as Foolamancy Archons on duty at all times. Any unit, stealth or not, should get zapped in seconds. Parson probably wants to confirm that though, and see exactly what Charlie's defenses DO look like.

Maybe with Jack's mastery and the mastery of the Great Minds it's possible to give the golem a veil which only a high level Foolamancer (which the house archons may not be) could see through. If links can create a spell as powerful as Kingworld they should be able to do "greater invisibility" (for want of a better term).
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 am

Wait, if there's no fire, how do they cook their food?

You know, they might want something similar to one of Wanda's dollies, like the one from Diecast.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Nargrakhan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 am

MonteCristo wrote:I think the reason parson wants to create a mindless, non-living unit, is because he doesn't want to go sending living units on what may be a suicide scouting mission.

I was thinking more, that he's basically recreating the IRL version of a stealth drone. Robots, though capable of being programmed with very complex instructions, are nonetheless mindless. Given that Ace has already shown the capacity to create advanced weaponry...
Nargrakhan
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Azukar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 am

Hrm, I feel like we missed an update here, too. We're still in the same turn that all of these casters were first Decrypted, so how do they know they can cast? Jack at least was out of juice even before he was croaked; Ace may or may not have been.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:03 am

I'll bet Ace is excited, now that he finally has free range to explore his creativity. To get around the Archon problem, maybe Ace could create a color shifting material and use the Foolamancy to direct it like a chameleon instead of projecting the illusions itself.
ManaCaster

Postby zexius » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:05 am

Terminator incoming!
zexius

Postby Lilwik » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:33 am

ManaCaster wrote:Units with the Foolamancy special, like Archons, can see right through veils, and Parson should know that.
Do we even know that? I'm sure that Foolamancy makes seeing through veils much easier than it would be without Foolamancy, but when has it ever been shown that Foolamancers or Archons can see right through veils as if there were no veils? I would expect that a veil would be some small help at least.

Azukar wrote:We're still in the same turn that all of these casters were first Decrypted, so how do they know they can cast?
I don't think there was ever really significant doubt about that. Decrypted units seem to be fully alive in every way, so there would only be a sliver of doubt about whether decrypted casters could cast. That's just enough doubt to make it a bad idea to go around croaking your own casters for fun, but I'd be surprised if anyone ever really expected that decrypted casters wouldn't be able to cast.
Lilwik

Postby BakaGrappler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 am

I just gotta ask it...

Will the new Stealth Golem speak by saying, "Gollum! Gollum!"

And both of the images for this update are looking nice. The new artist (who's name is Mike right? I suck with names, the only reason I know Rob is the writer is because his name is spoken everywhere and that Xin was the one that did Book 2 is because her face is on the front page) is capturing the sort of "Femme" aspect of Wanda, is "Taming" Artemis' hair, has returned Sizemore's pants, is doing a great job with shading lines, getting realistic bodily poses with the stooping bunch, and did a great job with minimalized texturing on the ground and the flaring of the Foolamancy fire.

Only thing I'd like to say is that Count Downer seems to have fewer "Depression" lines on his face than I remember. You know, nasal-labial, under-eye drooping, and between brow furrows. (Ya know, I've always imagined his voice as sounding like Mr. Carlin from the Bob Newheart Show.) And I think the reason people are saying things about the eyes is because Artemis' and Downer's eyes are not quite symmetric, which can either be because of time pressure or because of the implied emotions in their respective postures; either is possible or likely so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Beeskee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 am

Parson needs to work on some units that can play musical instruments next. :D I'm imagining a badass guitar solo at the end of his last line of dialogue there.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby peteratjet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 am

So a Predator then ....
peteratjet

Postby hehehe426 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:05 am

I'm surprised Jack's not more nervous about this plan. Like, dude. The last link-up you were in kind of turned you insane. Even if they've got dozens of Master-class Thinkamancers, I'd expect him to be at least a little apprehensive. : P
Last edited by hehehe426 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Khundes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 am

Malanthyus wrote:...did I miss somewhere where they actually checked if the decrypted casters can still cast?

The decrypted Archons could still cast. Why not casters?
Khundes

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:58 am

ftl wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:I think the reason parson wants to create a mindless, non-living unit, is because he doesn't want to go sending living units on what may be a suicide scouting mission.
And/or to protect against Charlie's thinkamancy. You can't thinkamance something that's brainless!
Or even more importantly, so that Charlie will have a harder time detecting it in the first place.
On the subject of Foolamancy foils, we have seen Archons have a "Spell Sense" which allows them to detect magic, it's not just a property of the Foolamancy-capable ones. I think we can reasonably assume this is kinda like a Spot check or similar thing where there is a chance of failure. More important to note would be Slately's enhanced crown that allowed him to spot better (maybe it even made him immune to Foolamancy, I can't recall). So yes, there are definitely ways to counter Foolamancy, but the only 2 ways we've seen so far aren't actually Foolamancy themselves, but rather Doll/Hat, and some kind of Natural-mancy.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WurmD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 am

@Balder: thank you ^_^! Just.. Thank you!
I was grinning by the middle and I laughed so hard by the end!!! ^_^_^_^_^
WurmD

Postby MadZuri » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am

Units with foolamancy special can always see through veils. This includes most archons. They saw right through Bogroll's veil. That crown granted immunity to foolamancy. Again, pardon the berevity and failure to link, phone posting.
[Edit] iifc that crown also provided some protection thinkamancy attacks. It seems that our dollamancer is a particularly good defense against Charlie.
MadZuri

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:24 am

Like many others, I wonder how well a foolamancy golem would work with all those archons about. Maybe they could make a unit so small that it is just plain hard to see. A gnat unit could be extremely useful as a scout. A swarm of them even more so. Parson better not forget that Faq is out there conquering his cities too though, and their portal is also easily reached.

I like the death metal golem idea, and the uncroaked rising up dirtamancy trap idea mentioned so far. Can't wait to see what ideas they come up with. Here are a few ideas I was coming up with myself:

Croakamancy/Dirtamancy - sarcophagus - Put a corpse in, the item uncroaks it. Useful if your Croakamancer is far away and you don't want your corpses to go to waste.
Croakamancy/Dollamancy - mummy wrap - wrap up a corpse, it doesn't depop or decompose. Wrap up an uncroaked, it doesn't deteriorate.
Croakamancy/Foolamancy - feign death - create that drug they always have in the movies that makes someone look croaked even though they aren't.
Dirtamancy/Dollamancy - colossus armor - gives the wearer skin-like metal armor and super strength, like Marvel's Colossus.
Dirtamancy/Foolamancy - false tunnel trap - You know that tunnel the coyote always painted for the roadrunner? Yeah. Do that.
Dollamancy/Foolamancy - invisibility cloak - Duh.

Of course the thinkamancer's power could be added to any of those combinations as well. If they get any of their allies to pitch in too, like Janis or Marie, a lot more options could be opened up as well.

One more thing. Will Parson try to link himself up?
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Morni » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 am

Parson will someone make a black dragon appear again
Morni

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions