Epilogue 10 - Message to the Tool

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 10 - Message to the Tool

Postby gazes_also » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Maggie's funny brain taste could be because she's inside the temple and using some kind of Great Minds VPN, or possibly it's not Maggie, but a ruse by Charlie.
What is suspicious is - why would she specify to prepare for an air attack? What evidence does Parson have that he would tell her to pass on that message?
There is a possibility that with is an Operation Mincemeat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat misinformation to direct defensive forces to the wrong location.

Here is a possible scenario.
Charlie feigns an Archon air attack which draws Stanley out with his dwagons, and all his ground troops to the walls. The attack is easily fought off. Meantime a huge force of gobwins emerges from beneath and Stanley finds himself surrounded when he returns to his tower. Overwhelmed by the gobwins and Archons who return in greater force, his only chance is to appoint Parson as his heir so that when he croaks Parson can switch capitals again from Spacerock to GK. This allows Wanda and Seymour to return, fire off the magical defences, collapse the tunnels etc.; decrypt Stanley and as many Archons as possible; and win back the city. Parson is now left in a weakened non-capital city, cut off from his casters with no portal to TMK.
Most importantly, he is no longer a warlord; he's an Overlord: and if he is not a warlord, he can't be the Perfect Warlord...
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby wih » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 pm

By 'Seymour' do you mean Sizemore?
wih

Postby Oberon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Lipkin wrote:
Cantripmancer wrote:Isn't it odd that Stanley can't "sense" Maggie? Might there be some question as to her loyalty (to Stanley vs to TGMTTA)? Or am I missing something basic?

The Thinkomancers Temple blocks Thinkogram surveillance. This could include blocking natural thinkomancy of Rulers.
I'm left wondering how "He [Stanley] knew where everyone was: In the Magic Kingdom" gets read as "Stanley can't "sense" Maggie." Or that somehow the temple is blocking Stanley. It's pretty clear from the context that Stanley can indeed sense Maggie, Parson, and every single one of the troops he has in the MK. And at least Parson, Maggie, and all the GK commanders are inside the temple.

Lipkin wrote:Or link Ace, Maggie, and Sizemore to create a homing missile, and launch it at the dish, and have Jack veil it on approach.
Hmmm, exactly what kind of projectile would a Dollamancer and a Dirtamancer create that resembles a missile? Especially one aimed at a large, circular object? Would this literally be the shit hitting the fan? :lol:

Zeroberon wrote:Recall that Maggie is out of juice I think, so somebody else is making the call for her but using her mind as a relay point or something.
Perhaps a bi-mancer link with another thinkamancer. But certainly not a tri-mancer link, since Stanley used Maggie's name with no ill effects on her.

Zeroberon wrote:Oh she's have plenty of reason, lying is [Wanda's] MO.
I think...not. Recall how Parson finishes his debrief of Wanda by asking her if there's anything else he should be asking her, since he knows that she holds back information and then tells him he didn't ask. And Maggie also, I don't think she has outright lied to Parson. Just withheld vital intel that any ruler or CWL would want to have.

Lying doesn't seem to be very prevalent or easy in Erfworld. Perhaps due to the constraints of having to follow orders and loyalty/duty.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Oberon wrote:
Zeroberon wrote:Lying is [Wanda's] MO.
I think...not. Recall how Parson finishes his debrief of Wanda by asking her if there's anything else he should be asking her, since he knows that she holds back information and then tells him he didn't ask.
Yeah, which is why I noted her word choice on the subject of the link. She specifically said Ordering the Eyemancers linked was the shrewdest thing Stanely ever did. She didn't specifically say it was his idea. So I agree that for me to say "lying is her MO" was inaccurate, but that very careful word choice and "lying by omission" is what she does.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Tonot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:28 pm

gazes_also wrote:Most importantly, he is no longer a warlord; he's an Overlord: and if he is not a warlord, he can't be the Perfect Warlord...

:)
Is there a Semantics-mancey discipline?. :) It would be kind of like a rules-lawyer "Nope, roll that again, you forgot that you are no longer a Warlord, so you lose your "+3 Perfect Warlord bonus". I guess it is under one of the schools, maybe naughty-mancy?, naughty as in you make everyone groan and say naughty words when you pop up at the table.

"Ugh, Her again, get your rule books out, put your fun away"
Tonot

Postby Oberon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Zeroberon wrote:Yeah, which is why I noted her word choice on the subject of the link. [Wanda] specifically said Ordering the Eyemancers linked was the shrewdest thing Stanely ever did. She didn't specifically say it was his idea. So I agree that for me to say "lying is her MO" was inaccurate, but that very careful word choice and "lying by omission" is what she does.
And she does it well. But using the term 'shrewd' for a ruler who only implements an underling's suggestion is an odd turn of phrase. And there's no real reason that I can see for her to lie or even be evasive about Stanley's role in having that link formed. It has/had nothing to do with FAQ, Charlie, or Wanda's fated acquisition of a 'tool.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Oberon wrote:There's no real reason that I can see for her to lie or even be evasive about Stanley's role in having that link formed. It has/had nothing to do with FAQ, Charlie, or Wanda's fated acquisition of a 'tool.
Too true, but it does have to do with her role in the side, and at that point she had just met Parson so she may not have trusted him as much as she does now. As for the wording, I would argue it is still shrewd of a commander to follow suggestions if the suggestion was a risky one. Tri-links are very risky to the casters involved, so regardless of who's idea it was, it was shrewd of him to actually order it done. Personally I'm not convinced one way or another who's idea it was, but I can see some basis to it being Wanda's.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions