Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 074

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 074

Postby balder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 074

Postby technojunkie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Gotta love how short sighted the FAQ casters really are. How many times have they nearly been croaked because of Olive, and they still condemn Jillian for croaking her. For all their 'philosophy' they're pretty prejudiced against Wanda; one wonders if croakamancers are universally disliked.
Last edited by technojunkie on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 am

Wow...Banhammer's own words contradict themselves within the span of a breath. "I have only been able to put them in proper perspective with the help of these units.” and "I must apologize, but I had to walk this path alone."
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby technojunkie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 am

Mikalyaran wrote: ..."I have only been able to put them in proper perspective with the help of these units.” ...

Contradiction or not; he's definitely upset his court. he can't discuss the matters on his mind with them, but he can with hostile units.
technojunkie

Postby Jinren » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 am

Mikalyaran wrote:Wow...Banhammer's own words contradict themselves within the span of a breath. "I have only been able to put them in proper perspective with the help of these units.” and "I must apologize, but I had to walk this path alone."

Perhaps he means that he experienced the vision alone, projected for him via Archon? The Archons are providing the service but not sharing in the experience as his peers.

Was it ever confirmed that Banhammer is a warlord and not a caster? I assume it would have been important by now if he could cast but can't recall ever seeing it mentioned. In any case, assuming he is a warlord, he'd have no way to engage in whatever magic is required for visions without at least some assistance.

I suddenly wonder if the entire court culture of Faq arose because Banhammer was unhappy about being popped as a non-caster.
Jinren
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 am

technojunkie wrote:Gotta love how short sighted the FAQ casters really are. How many times have they nearly been croaked because of Olive, and they still condemn Jillian for croaking her.
Err, from their perspective, how close did they really come? The food wasn't poisoned, and the only units who did die from poison were thieves. They have pretty good evidence (from their perspective) that she was harmless, and literally zero evidence she wasn't. Who's side would you take in that situation?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 am

Shai_hulud wrote:They have pretty good evidence (from their perspective) that she was harmless, and literally zero evidence she wasn't.
That's a bit backward. A person being nice is no evidence that the person is harmless because dangerous people can often be nice, and the dangerous people who are nice are the most dangerous of all. Real evidence that Olive is harmless would be choosing not to harm them when it is in her power and best interest to harm them, and they've never seen that. On the contrary they have plenty of evidence that Olive was very dangerous in the form of Jillian's testimony. Jillian said that Olive was dangerous, and Jillian is bound by duty to be honest about something like that so the casters really ought to believe it. Wanda's testimony is also evidence, but that's just a bonus and not worth nearly as much since Wanda switches sides so often.
Lilwik

Postby canabal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 am

As is currently written, this seems to be all from Marie (emphasis mine, duh):

“I find it remahkable,” said Sister Marie, “that our own Princess, our brave Chief Wahload, is coming undah such attack, aftah winning Faq’s very suhvival today.” Her tone was stern and matronly, and aimed directly at Betsy. “You don’t get to stand there and criticize. She was Fated to do this. Take your complaints to the Titans, if you want to.” She pointed at Jillian. “Her, you should be thanking. Faq is reborn today.

All very, very [sic]. So why did her accent drop? Do you think the other characters noticed? Rob is too precise to assume that this is an oversight (though he is only human, and it's late everywhere in the U.S. at the moment, if he happened just to have finished this installment recently). If it's deliberate and a new detail about Marie, what on Erf could it mean? If this is a habit of Marie's I'm not familiar with, or due to something I don't know, please clue me in.
canabal

Postby ftl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 am

Shai_hulud wrote:
technojunkie wrote:Gotta love how short sighted the FAQ casters really are. How many times have they nearly been croaked because of Olive, and they still condemn Jillian for croaking her.
Err, from their perspective, how close did they really come? The food wasn't poisoned, and the only units who did die from poison were thieves. They have pretty good evidence (from their perspective) that she was harmless, and literally zero evidence she wasn't. Who's side would you take in that situation?

Well, as Wanda said. Olive is good at charming people. Everyone loves her until she's got them just where she wants them, and then it's too late.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 am

canabal wrote:So why did her accent drop?
I expect that Marie's accent is just a comfortable habit, a pleasant way of speaking that she prefers, but she's not forced to talk that way by anything, and so when it's time to get serious and she really wants to be heard clearly, I'm sure she can put in the extra effort to sharpen up her way of speaking. These casters are clearly not good at listening and they very much needed a dose of reality, so Marie wasn't fooling around.
Lilwik

Postby Tonot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 am

She is from another side.

She can not be "Safe" to people from FAQ.

Even if someone is from an aligned side, self interest would seem to suggest you treated them exactly like Caesar treated Jillian, abiding suspicion and wariness.
Tonot

Postby ftl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:35 am

Also, it's becoming clear how Wanda and Jillian can end up together. They're united in the fact that they are the only ones that know just how bad Olive was. Most of the court is against them now, and even Wanda and Jack don't really know just what was going on with the flowers and so on.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby M.A.D » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 am

Lilwik wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:They have pretty good evidence (from their perspective) that she was harmless, and literally zero evidence she wasn't.
That's a bit backward. A person being nice is no evidence that the person is harmless because dangerous people can often be nice, and the dangerous people who are nice are the most dangerous of all. Real evidence that Olive is harmless would be choosing not to harm them when it is in her power and best interest to harm them, and they've never seen that. On the contrary they have plenty of evidence that Olive was very dangerous in the form of Jillian's testimony. Jillian said that Olive was dangerous, and Jillian is bound by duty to be honest about something like that so the casters really ought to believe it. Wanda's testimony is also evidence, but that's just a bonus and not worth nearly as much since Wanda switches sides so often.

Jillian is not bound to be honest, though. She is only duty-bound to do what she thinks is best for her side, and sometimes she'd think that lying is the better option. So that evident is out too, unfortunately. Olive's side has 11 capital sites, and the woman herself uses poison. A normal person would have at least been cautious. But then again, these people spend time holed up together, so reading people is probably not what they're best at, and they're especially not reading people on the opposite side in a war, because I doubt they've ever been in one. Furthermore, most of this court follow king Banhammer's principal, so they're all for the apparently peace-loving type. It's almost sad to look at em' really, but yeah, this is sort of logical after what happened.
M.A.D

Postby Lilwik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 am

M.A.D wrote:Jillian is not bound to be honest, though. She is only duty-bound to do what she thinks is best for her side, and sometimes she'd think that lying is the better option. So that evident is out too, unfortunately.
She doesn't have to be bound to be honest about everything. Just having a duty to her side is enough. She can lie to protect Faq of course, but that's even more reason to trust her: either she's telling you the truth or she's telling you a lie to save your life, so believe her. Given her duty, it only makes sense to believe her when she says that Olive is dangerous, since if Olive weren't dangerous then there would be no threat and no reason for Jillian to lie.

On top of all that, if Haffaton were a good side and Olive were a good ruler than Jillian should have been drooling to sign up and finally be part of a real side with a real army and in the process salvage Faq from a desperate situation. The fact that Jillian was resisting should be all the evidence the casters need that Jillian honestly saw a problem.
Lilwik

Postby Deo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 am

I am wondering if capitals that are unclaimed for a certain amount of time have a chance to spawn new sides.

Isn't that area where most of the current comic takes place?

Also at the end, after Banhammer gave his lines I thought to myself, The Fool has spoken!

You just know that to him it might seem like a great deal... but to Jillian it will be horrible.
Deo

Postby SteveMB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am

Jinren wrote:
Mikalyaran wrote:Wow...Banhammer's own words contradict themselves within the span of a breath. "I have only been able to put them in proper perspective with the help of these units.” and "I must apologize, but I had to walk this path alone."

Perhaps he means that he experienced the vision alone, projected for him via Archon? The Archons are providing the service but not sharing in the experience as his peers.

That makes his reasons for not letting his casters (physically) accompany him seem all the weaker -- he could have seen his private show even as they sat right next to him.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby arkerpay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 am

The naivety of most the court of Faq is making me feel much better about their eventual demise.
arkerpay

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 am

Oooooo, the court is gonna be PISSSSSSED, the reactions will be utterly delicious :)
Also, cue Jillian flipping shit too, since I assume "Going Home" will mean she doesn't get to conquer all those Barbarian cities. Which is a pity because FAQ could actually pull it off in a benevolent fashion I feel. They have the casters to help alleviate the financial burden and protect themselves, along with the peaceful morality and cooperation Haffaton lacked.
All in all, Banhammer isn't going to like the fall-out from this action, because now nobody will like him.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Zolon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am

0beron wrote:Which is a pity because FAQ could actually pull it off in a benevolent fashion I feel. They have the casters to help alleviate the financial burden and protect themselves, along with the peaceful morality and cooperation Haffaton lacked.

I'm not so sure. Even with the host of casters available to alleviate the crazy management costs of holding that many cities, Haffaton kept most of their cities armed with poisons and trapped, and a few uncroaked here or there. I'd imagine those are little-to-no upkeep units, but I doubt FAQ would want to take that option. IF they were forced to protect their cities, I think Jillian would opt for living unit garrisons at the least, which would start to get pretty expensive after awhile.

Now, if they looted and razed about half of those cities.. it might not be so bad.
Zolon

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 am

Well I agree that FAQ might not want to claim ALL of those cities, I think their caster composition is actually even better suited to a peaceful large empire, considering:
  • Croakamancer: Less useful considering they'd be peaceful, but you can still copy Haffaton's strategy to supplement when needed
  • Look/Predict/Fool: Continue their city-hiding routine, except worry instead about the weak cities rather than all of them
  • Predictamancer: Distribute forces more effectively
  • Moneymancer: Duh, totes useful
  • Signamancer: Increase efficiency of cities perhaps?
  • Heal, Math, Shock: Contract out their services for bonus income. Besty + Rusty traveling with Jillian for her mercenary work would be SUPER valuable and worth a high price to other kingdoms.
And most importantly....they're cooperative. FAQ won't lose all their casters like Olive did by destroying hers.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions