Book 2 – Epilogue 06 – Parson and Maggie Discuss Matters

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 06 – Parson and Maggie Discuss Matters

Postby Lilwik » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Tonot wrote:They fought on with a big part of their body chopped away, one of whom had a cut that would have chopped clean through the vagus nerve, and I was told by my Sensei that that one would drop any person dead at your feet.
I'd like to see that. Does anyone know which page that's on?
wih wrote:I think it's Downer, on pages 50 and 51.
We've already seen that one on this thread. I'd like to see the one who is chopped through his vagus nerve! The vagus nerve goes down a person's middle from the brain to the heart and then the guts, so it would be very deep and deadly-looking chop, nothing so superficial as a missing arm. For a while I thought I remembered seeing him, but I can't seem to find him. He's nowhere around the food fight that I can see.
Lilwik

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Just FYI, severing someone's vagus nerve wouldn't cause them to drop dead. If you cut it above the heart, you'd get some arrythmias, but cutting it in the abdomen wouldn't do much. Vagotomy used to be a common treatment for peptic ulcer disease :)
GWvsJohn

Postby Tonot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
Tonot wrote:They fought on with a big part of their body chopped away, one of whom had a cut that would have chopped clean through the vagus nerve, and I was told by my Sensei that that one would drop any person dead at your feet.
I'd like to see that. Does anyone know which page that's on?
wih wrote:I think it's Downer, on pages 50 and 51.
We've already seen that one on this thread. I'd like to see the one who is chopped through his vagus nerve! The vagus nerve goes down a person's middle from the brain to the heart and then the guts, so it would be very deep and deadly-looking chop, nothing so superficial as a missing arm. For a while I thought I remembered seeing him, but I can't seem to find him. He's nowhere around the food fight that I can see.

I Googled and am surprised to see you are utterly right there, Sensei was wrong!. It was just something he used to say when lining up a cut, of course, he wasn't a Surgeon after all. I have been repeating it in simple minded trust all these years since.

Missing arm, superficial?. Your "being right" made a juddering, jumpy motion as it ran over a speed bump there!. :lol:

Having hit a few people in the place he was talking about, (halfway between the neck joining the shoulder, and the outer edge of the shoulder) and been hit a few times there myself, let me assure there is SOMETHING in there that is pretty vital to proceedings.
Tonot

Previous

Return to Reactions