Postby BCCroaker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Memo to Charlie from Parson
"Your ass is grass."
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 06 – Parson and Maggie Discuss Matters

Postby SteveMB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 pm

In Parson's position, I'd be probing for answers as to just why the Great Minds want Charlie gone -- the answers might not be complete, or honest, but they might give some useful clues about 1)Charlie, 2)the GM, and 3)how much or little the GM can be trusted.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm a bit disappointed Paron isn't asking more pointed questions about Charlie and the Great Minds like SreveMB points out.....however, he does need to establish how much he can trust her first. He knows what he's doing, so there is a pecking order to the questions he plans to ask.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

I have nothing insightful to add re: plot development, character development or greater understanding of he mechanics of Erfworld.

BUT

I will say this sounds like some grade-A shipping bait. Can we see some Parson/Maggie fanart soon? Maybe Maggie & Ace fighting over him? :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Everything OK so far art wise, Except the eyes. Creepy looking. They are hallow white eyes, and not her usual pink "button" eyes. Think at this point it is so common, that I'm just gonna have to except the eyes are going to be different than the other books.

Also philtrum.
Edit*Which is to say, philtrum are often creepy looking in general when drawn.
Last edited by Shai_hulud on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby CorrTerek » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

No one in particular wrote:I have nothing insightful to add re: plot development, character development or greater understanding of he mechanics of Erfworld.

BUT

I will say this sounds like some grade-A shipping bait. Can we see some Parson/Maggie fanart soon? Maybe Maggie & Ace fighting over him? :D

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. She's barely even trying to be subtle now. :lol:
CorrTerek

Postby jkosta » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

0beron wrote:I'm a bit disappointed Paron isn't asking more pointed questions about Charlie and the Great Minds like SreveMB points out.....however, he does need to establish how much he can trust her first. He knows what he's doing, so there is a pecking order to the questions he plans to ask.

It's not just that. It's that he can't find out anything useful from her about Charlie that he won't from talking to the GMs.
jkosta

Postby hehehe426 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 pm

No one in particular wrote:I have nothing insightful to add re: plot development, character development or greater understanding of he mechanics of Erfworld.

BUT

HMMMMMmmmmm.... fanart. Sounds right up my alley. Maybe I'll see what I can do.
(would need to learn how to draw each of them though so it might be a little heheh)
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Malanthyus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Oddly enough, I"m starting to wonder when, if ever Parson will bring up the concept of "Death by natural causes", or realize that no member of the populace of erfworld has ever suffered such a thing.
Malanthyus

Postby Lilwik » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Malanthyus wrote:Oddly enough, I"m starting to wonder when, if ever Parson will bring up the concept of "Death by natural causes", or realize that no member of the populace of erfworld has ever suffered such a thing.
It certainly seems like that is true, or at least they probably don't die of old age. Roger Victor Clarence may have grey hair, but I don't think he looks like he is 78 years old, and Isaac certainly doesn't look 58. Perhaps that's just how they are drawn.
Lilwik

Postby Malanthyus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Malanthyus wrote:Oddly enough, I"m starting to wonder when, if ever Parson will bring up the concept of "Death by natural causes", or realize that no member of the populace of erfworld has ever suffered such a thing.
It certainly seems like that is true, or at least they probably don't die of old age. Roger Victor Clarence may have grey hair, but I don't think he looks like he is 78 years old, and Isaac certainly doesn't look 58. Perhaps that's just how they are drawn.

In those instances, Maggie's in particular, I believe to be a case of what has been referred to repeatedly as "natural signamancy". The unit changes it's look to reflect it's current state of life, and the scars the battles it's fought, both physical and emotional. It is not simply artist depiction that maggie has slowly gone from a half accurate portrayal of Margaret Thatcher to a Light Grey Haired version of Kate Middleton.
Malanthyus

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Lilwik wrote:

I transcribed the stuff the about GMTTA from book2, issue two. Issac is 22,500 turns old and Victor is 28,800! They are old though it seems.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:24 am

Wanda's signamancy was skeletal, haggard, and old when she served under Olive. Yet now she looks like a young woman again. Maggie has been growing gradually more attractive as the story goes on. If her hair starts gaining color, Parson is gonna have to watch himself.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Tonot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 am

BUT

Your saying that made something occur to me. Parson is a human being who is being constrained, by the various "game mechanics" that act on him now, to act like a game character. Some various things like Duty with a capital D, Loyalty, etc, that don't really have coercive force on humans now are part of his "emotional make-up". However!.

He also remains a human being, wouldn't he also be vulnerable in ways other game characters are not?. He wants friendship, feels bad about (what he thinks is) its denial from Maggie, feels like he has lost it from Sizemore. It affects him in ways that "normal" game characters don't get effected in the course of their game play. They might feel things similar, but maybe it would not effect them so much because , after all, they are made to be kind of robotic about their function.
Plus the whole thing about him being a nerd, a male one, a male who has not had a lot of luck with the ladies.

So would this sort of pre-dispose him to being extra vulnerable to attacks through his emotions?. What is its path, Signamancy, Date-a-mancy?. Would it make him easily lead by casters acting along the lines of loyalty spells?. "Be my Friend?". Or, "Hmmm, Lover, be my Special Friend?".
Tonot

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 am

Considering all the shipping fodder we have going on, Parson should be a Date-a-mancer.

Though Date-a-mancy seems like it'd be worse than Predictamancy for spoiling plot events.
Suddenly I want to write Game of Thrones/Erfworld cross fiction about Date-a-mancers and a certain wedding. :oops:

And
Lipkin wrote:Wanda's signamancy was skeletal, haggard, and old when she served under Olive. Yet now she looks like a young woman again. Maggie has been growing gradually more attractive as the story goes on. If her hair starts gaining color, Parson is gonna have to watch himself.

Just brings up all sorts of images in combination with the end of http://www.erfworld.com/2009/10/summer-updates-044/
Jabberwocky

Postby ftl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 am

Tonot wrote:

BUT

Your saying that made something occur to me. Parson is a human being who is being constrained, by the various "game mechanics" that act on him now, to act like a game character. Some various things like Duty with a capital D, Loyalty, etc, that don't really have coercive force on humans now are part of his "emotional make-up". However!.

He also remains a human being, wouldn't he also be vulnerable in ways other game characters are not?. He wants friendship, feels bad about (what he thinks is) its denial from Maggie, feels like he has lost it from Sizemore. It affects him in ways that "normal" game characters don't get effected in the course of their game play. They might feel things similar, but maybe it would not effect them so much because , after all, they are made to be kind of robotic about their function.
Plus the whole thing about him being a nerd, a male one, a male who has not had a lot of luck with the ladies.

So would this sort of pre-dispose him to being extra vulnerable to attacks through his emotions?. What is its path, Signamancy, Date-a-mancy?. Would it make him easily lead by casters acting along the lines of loyalty spells?. "Be my Friend?". Or, "Hmmm, Lover, be my Special Friend?".

I think no.

I think a big part of the point of Erfworld is that the people ARE real people. Erfworlders want friendship, feel bad about their friends betraying them or drifting apart from them, fall in love and make irrational decisions based on love, and so on and so forth. Jillian went to war for love of Ansom. In Book 1, Parson riled up Ansom into making bad decisions by pushing his emotional buttons about Royalty and so on. They're not game pieces, even though the rules treat them as such.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Tonot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 am

Jabberwocky wrote:
Just brings up all sorts of images in combination with the end of http://www.erfworld.com/2009/10/summer-updates-044/

Looks like a lot of the "Shipping" has already been done for us, is canon?. :lol:
Tonot

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:52 am

Tonot wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

Looks like a lot of the "Shipping" has already been done for us, is canon?. :lol:

Nah, that was just the first salvo. There was some shipping at the time, but it died down in the 4 years since. :p

This update was CLEARLY meant to reignite the burning passions! :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Tonot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 am

ftl wrote:I think a big part of the point of Erfworld is that the people ARE real people. Erfworlders want friendship, feel bad about their friends betraying them or drifting apart from them, fall in love and make irrational decisions based on love, and so on and so forth. Jillian went to war for love of Ansom. In Book 1, Parson riled up Ansom into making bad decisions by pushing his emotional buttons about Royalty and so on. They're not game pieces, even though the rules treat them as such.

Oh, they are real "people" right enough. They are not human though, in many of the ways a human can be measured.

No parents. No children. I could go on from there, but personally, I think if we come across aliens one day, that are somehow extremely "human" look-a-like, joke, love, laugh, scheme, etc, but have no (have never had in their species experience in fact) parents, or children, only an enthusiast would be calling them "human".
And actually they seem to me to be exactly game pieces. The various things like Duty and Loyalty trump their "human" "passions" like love or ego, don't they, to the point that love and ego are merely some sort of mechanic effect, maybe put into the game pieces by plan . . . say some sort of random aspect to make the game a little less determined?. Like the Chance cards in monopoly?.

(edit to add that, I accept they seem to have a sort of limited self-awareness, and maybe something like our illusion of free will too, and wasn't saying that they have no "human" feelings". I was asking if maybe Parsons entire life with "real" human feelings, makes him extra special vulnerable in a way the Erf-worlders are not.)

Jillian went to war for love of Ansom?. No, I think she was born to war, lived it so she could earn smuckers to pay her upkeep so she could live day to day so she could earn smuckers waging war etc etc, and during just one of all her days alive that were spent at war she took a different side at the urging of the "random" urge of the "chance card" mechanic "love"
Tonot

Next

Return to Reactions