Summer Updates – 046

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates – 046

Postby Gez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:55 pm

FredLemerory wrote:Also, its becoming entirely author fiat at this point. I want something to happen so it does, despite all logic and reason. Charlie has 600+ archons, it would have taken him 30 to take GK earlier, which he was going to do but delayed, costing him the archons. Why then, wont he send his 600 and curb stomp them, get both tools, the bracer, and possibly parson and wanda with it.

And risk losing all 600 of them in Operation Volcano 2: Pyroclastic Bugaloo? And leave his only city under-defended?
FredLemerory wrote:They have enough move to have gotten a terribly large distance the past 30 some odd turns.

If you had paid attention, you'd have noticed the bit about how most archons are scattered here and there all over the map so as to arrive quickly on any scene. This doesn't mean they ALL have enough move to go from wherever they are to GK instantly. Most of those that were within range are decrypted now, in fact.
FredLemerory wrote:Hes already shown hes willing, but isnt because ??? If hes worried he could just ask parson, how many archons to croak stanly and take GK.

He already did, and it didn't work out very well.
Gez

Postby FredLemerory » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:19 pm

You missed the bit where I suggested he kill wanda first. Even if he didnt, he knows it was a three caster link that did it the first time, and one of the vital three is very far away from where she would need to be to explode him.

I was suggestion the archons could all move to someplace closer to GK in that time, so they could preform operation smash and win.

He already did not attack, he was going too, got talked out of it, and lost because of it. He should have smartened up and not let parson talk him out of it the next time around.

But instead of getting everything he wants in one easy battle, hes messing around with marbits?

Please.
http://www.dartmud.com/ Best text based mud Ive played since the last best text based mud.
FredLemerory

Postby atteSmythe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:44 am

In addition to being his military, they're Charlie's only income (he only has one city), and they're expensive. With upkeep alone being in the neighborhood of 250,000/turn, Charlie likely cannot afford pulling in enough Archons for a decisive strike against GK. The entire operation of gathering his forces, attacking, and then trying to immediately find work for 600 Archons again, after having just broken all his active contracts? Even if you could get the whole war started and done with in under 10 turns (2.5MM schmuckers in upkeep), he'd be bankrupt in short order.

Yeah, there's a lot of conjecture up there, but I think it's reasonable seeing the reactions we've seen to various costs.
atteSmythe

Postby Rosa Vernal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm getting somewhat curious about what Parson's going to do. Well, aside from the Archons...

So, I would assume that he could have a stack of Archons/Twolls/Whatever as intelligence/bodyguards/whatever. Since they have Thinkamancy as a possible "special" does that mean he'd be able to make a trimancer link out of Archons? Or have his Archons riding dwagons?

It's also worth noting that they chose to give full service. I'm not sure what the ramifications of that are, or if there even are any.
RIP, Grandma. <3
Mar '29 - Oct '10
Rosa Vernal

Postby FredLemerory » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:13 pm

They said most of his money comes from his thinkagrams, so most of his income would be intact without the archons doing merc work. The loss of a few archons and whatever work they bring in would be insignificant compared to two priceless arkentools and the bracer, which has an approximate value of immense.

But no, we are to believe hes fooling around with marbits and worried about not being allied with the RCCII.
http://www.dartmud.com/ Best text based mud Ive played since the last best text based mud.
FredLemerory

Postby raphfrk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Rosa Vernal wrote:I would assume that he could have a stack of Archons/Twolls/Whatever as intelligence/bodyguards/whatever. Since they have Thinkamancy as a possible "special" does that mean he'd be able to make a trimancer link out of Archons? Or have his Archons riding dwagons?

It says they get "limited forms of Shockmancy, Thinkamancy, Dollamancy and Foolamancy".

I would assume that this means that they can handle thinkagrams, but the link spell is probably to advanced.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Decorus » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 am

Since it takes an experienced Thinkmancer to unravel links without killing the people involved, hmm that is interesting...
Why didn't Misty and Jack get all thrashed and crazy when Parson accidently broke thier link? That is something we really should have looked into, because the linkshock should have been nasty. In the magic Kingdom it took multiple thinkmancers to unravel the Sizemore and Wanda link without inflicting serious amounts of damage....
Decorus

Postby Lord Kasavin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Decorus wrote:Since it takes an experienced Thinkmancer to unravel links without killing the people involved, hmm that is interesting...
Why didn't Misty and Jack get all thrashed and crazy when Parson accidently broke thier link? That is something we really should have looked into, because the linkshock should have been nasty. In the magic Kingdom it took multiple thinkmancers to unravel the Sizemore and Wanda link without inflicting serious amounts of damage....

I think the plot point was he DIDN'T break their link, he just could have. Sort of like pressing a knife to skin. Even if when you pull away there is no cut because you didn't push hard enough, doesn't mean the knife should have been there in the first place.

My, I'm morbid today.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Pointyleaf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Reasons Charlie doesn't bring the archons to attack Gobwin Knob:

1) There are not enough archons in range / would have to break off contacts.
2) Charlie needs the money.
3) It's not a "no-lose" situation.
3b) Charlie's afraid of Zombcano II, or whatever else Parson is able to come up with.
4) GK is much stronger now. Last time, GK had no dragons, overlord bonus, or artifact bonus, and had already fired off all airspace defenses. This time, it has 50+ dragons, more/stronger defending units, artifact bonus (two bonuses if Wanda is there), and the city itself is stronger (theoretical level 8).
5) Charlie is already undercutting Stanley/GK by other safer means: lack of gobwins, impending attack by Jillian.
6) Unknown/unrevealed reasons (archons have weaknesses that Charlie thinks Parson knows, archons are weaker in groups, etc.)
Pointyleaf

Postby Decorus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:
Decorus wrote:Since it takes an experienced Thinkmancer to unravel links without killing the people involved, hmm that is interesting...

I think the plot point was he DIDN'T break their link, he just could have. Sort of like pressing a knife to skin. Even if when you pull away there is no cut because you didn't push hard enough, doesn't mean the knife should have been there in the first place.

My, I'm morbid today.

No he broke it otherwise Misty would not have known her name its either extremely lucky or Parson is a caster. Its further confirmed when they comment that they linked up again at the begining of the turn.
How ever looking back its confirmed that Charlie is likely the richest side in Erfworld given his nominal 2500 schmuckers per thinkagram for a 2 way.
Decorus

Postby DevilDan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Decorus wrote:How ever looking back its confirmed that Charlie is likely the richest side in Erfworld given his nominal 2500 schmuckers per thinkagram for a 2 way.

And at that cost, how often do you think people avail themselves of that service? He charges that much because people only use it as a last resort. It's literally an extortionate fee.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby SteveMB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:53 pm

FredLemerory wrote:They said most of his money comes from his thinkagrams, so most of his income would be intact without the archons doing merc work.

Huh? How is he going to sell Thinkagrams with no Archons on site to send them?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Jatopian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Anyone can get Charlie's attention by thinking hard enough, long enough. We don't know that it requires an Archon, do we?
Jatopian

Postby Pointyleaf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Jatopian wrote:Anyone can get Charlie's attention by thinking hard enough, long enough. We don't know that it requires an Archon, do we?

Nope. We don't know either way.
Pointyleaf

Postby raphfrk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Pointyleaf wrote:Nope. We don't know either way.

So far, all thinkagrams have had a caster at, at least one end of the connection.

If a warlord contacted to Charlie, then there would be a caster at Charlie's end.

Ofc, I don't think we have seen a thinkagram initiated by a non-caster.

The issue is if he can do a "point to point" thinkagram.

One option might be to have 2 archons in his capital handle the 2 links.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Pointyleaf wrote:
Jatopian wrote:Anyone can get Charlie's attention by thinking hard enough, long enough. We don't know that it requires an Archon, do we?

From this update:

"Any commander in the world could get those [i.e. Charlie's personal] Archons' attention by concentrating hard enough, for long enough. This could take hours or even days, but Charlescomm would establish contact eventually."

Clearly, this doesn't require an Archon; it's what Ansom told "somebody" to do in order to contact Charlie and hire some Archons in the first place. (The "could take hours or days" thing explains why Ansom delegated it; he was going to be busy assembling the rescue force.)
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby Decorus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 pm

20% of Charlies Archons are at Charlescomm and Charles can give them some of the Arkendish's abilities from that proximity.
10 or so are Charlie's personal Archons who actually see Charlie. Pretty much given his mastery of thinkamancy he provides thinkagrams as his main source of income which people pay Charlies absurd costs for, because they don't have one or artifacts that allow communication or they don't want to waste the juice. I'm pretty sure Charlie does this for anyone and its his primary source of signal intelligence as well as how we was able to convince the Giants to switch to Jillian's side, behind the lack of Gobwins in GK and the reason behind the Marbit invasion under the tunnels.
Decorus

Postby Pointyleaf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:14 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Pointyleaf wrote:

From this update:

"Any commander in the world could get those [i.e. Charlie's personal] Archons' attention by concentrating hard enough, for long enough. This could take hours or even days, but Charlescomm would establish contact eventually."

Clearly, this doesn't require an Archon; it's what Ansom told "somebody" to do in order to contact Charlie and hire some Archons in the first place. (The "could take hours or days" thing explains why Ansom delegated it; he was going to be busy assembling the rescue force.)

Was talking about on Charlie's end, the point being that we don't know how necessary the Archons are to Charlie's Thinkagram business.
Pointyleaf

Postby Decorus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 am

I would guess not very, but that Charlie uses them as go betweens rather then himself.

Essentially the Arkendish picks up signals from people thinking about him, a group of Archons who Charlie has lent some of the Arkendish's power answer the calls and then handle the Thinkgrams. Now having an Archon in the area is easier as you just go to the Archon and ask her to do it for you. Charlie can probably do all of this himself, but he would rather not be bothered with it.

Its also likely the length of time is due to the volume of people thinking about Charlie inorder to get his services considering he provides his services to the entire Erfworld.
Decorus

Postby Evil Jedi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I haven't read all of the posts on this update, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to say has already been discussed.

The Archons say that Charlie has a great reputation hiring casters out of the Magic Kingdom. My question is, how does Charlie contact them to hire them? Or for that matter, how do other sides? I suppose if you have a caster on your side you can send them in and find what you're looking for, but what if you don't? Can Charlie send thinkagrams into the Magic Kingdom? Is he getting in touch with barbarian casters when they aren't in MK? Just wondering what you all think.
A lifelong member of PA, Procrastinators Anonymous. "Hello, my name is ____ and I'm a Procrastinator."
Evil Jedi
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions