Book 2 – Page 114

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 114

Postby Sir. Knowsalot » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 am

Jack looks like he went from The Trickster to the Joker. First time I'm seeing malice in his eyes.

I'm curious to see how decryption affects him. Especially considering his sly nature and personal acquaintance with Wanda. I thought it might be something like, "I know why I am like this, I just can't change it," but his facial expression is more eager than resigned. Maybe he's found a loophole in decryption? Or he could be starting to see the perks of, "If you kill someone, then they were meant to die," philosophy.
Sir. Knowsalot

Postby nargbop » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 am

I particularly love the distinct expressions on the last panel : Stoic determination from Ace, recrimination from Sizemore, confidence from Maggie, worry from Parson, relief from Wanda, malice aforethought from Jack, and boopblocked cussedness from Count Downer.

I wonder if the portal-use-destroy-non-casters rule applies both ways. That is to say, i wonder if Count Downer and the thirty or so regular units can escape the MK through a portal.
nargbop
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby vintermann » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:35 am

ftl wrote:In retrospect, I'm sort of surprised that some stuff from book 2 just got sort of lost amongst the confusion. What's going on in Transylvito - why were we even seeing them in book 2, if they weren't gonna have an effect on anything? I though that for sure we'd get some resolution of Caesar and Don somehow.

I think it's pretty clear book 2 was cut short because of Xin's problems. Book one ran for 150 pages, but forcing a depressed artist to go on for another 36 pages... well, at best it would have taken a long, long time.

Hopefully we'll follow that some more, as well as Jillian, in book 3. It could even start there, far away from what's happening/will happen in the Magic Kingdom. Transylvito wasn't entirely unimportant in book 2 either, Don's conflict with Caesar was necessary to establish Jetstone's dire situation, the discontent in the RCC2 ranks, etc.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Keighvin1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 am

I could be wrong, but isn't the new guy going to be doing epilogues for this book? So some stuff could be covered there.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby AJ_Impy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 am

Enough warm bodies to make sure the first strike isn't fatal, and to guarantee the retaliation will be. The question of Downer and Artemis being able to leave the MK is still open. Also, Thinkagrams aren't secure: That was a declaration of war and intended as such.
AJ_Impy
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Tommy Roth » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 am

I've travelled in time from year 1979 to say this: Thanks Xin! You are one of the Erfworld's Titans.

And I can't wait to see Ace/Parson cooperacy. It should be fun :]
Tommy Roth

Postby Messenger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 am

This update is just oozing its barely-contained badassery! :D

"Shut up, Jojo." (Been waiting for that one for quite awhile.)
"But if anybody takes a shot at me, or gets in my way again, then you can expect to join my personal guard."
"From now on, I come and go from the Magic Kingdom as I please. To anywhere."

Wraithlord wrote:Jack and Ace look absolutely atrocious in red and black. It does not suit them at all. :D
I must disagree. I quite like the red and black.

Yes, red-and-black-flesh-toned Jack is scary, but I'm more utterly fascinated than disturbed and fearful. It should be very interesting what this Jack can do.

Lastly, farewell, Xin. You are one of the best illustrators I know. Despite your responsibilities and sadness in your family, I hope you do well. I hope to see your art once again. It was a pleasure to see your work. :)
Messenger

Postby Smoker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:02 am

Yes, thank you Xin. Your art is remarkable. :D
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby zilfallon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:38 am

I wonder if Charlie expected Lord Hamster to acknowledge him as an enemy this soon.

Messenger wrote:This update is just oozing its barely-contained badassery! :D

"Shut up, Jojo." (Been waiting for that one for quite awhile.)
"But if anybody takes a shot at me, or gets in my way again, then you can expect to join my personal guard."
"From now on, I come and go from the Magic Kingdom as I please. To anywhere."

yeah, best 3 lines ever :P

Last panel is fitting for a final panel, good job.
Any estimates on Book 3 start date? Or the summer updates, if they'll exist?

Also, bye byee Xin. Thanks for all the awesome art, especially for the cute Wanda I have on my avatar ^^
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Sallo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 am

Congratulations on completing Book 2!
And thank-you Xin for all of your efforts. Your art is beautiful and I hope to see more of it in the future.

This was a good ending and I look forward to what Book 3 will bring!
Sallo
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am

I think it's just adorable how the GTTMA act like they control Parson.

So, those troops will probably have to stay in the Magic Kingdom, then? Certainly, if they would disband every time they go through a portal. Or it might be okay for them to leave the kingdom, but not come back in.

Thank you Xin for all the great art! And congrats on finishing book 2. It's an awesome story.
Goshen

Postby Frostbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 am

So is Parson having free run of the Magic Kingdom totally unheard of, or was him being denied that in the first place the unusual thing? He is a caster after all.
Frostbeard
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 am

Goshen wrote:So, those troops will probably have to stay in the Magic Kingdom, then? Certainly, if they would disband every time they go through a portal. Or it might be okay for them to leave the kingdom, but not come back in.
That's what we're waiting to find out. I would assume that Parson is going to test it on a random basic infantry first.
I'm hoping that he's already used Ace as a guinea pig for the ability of Decrypted Casters to enter & leave the MK. I can't imagine that he'd have let Jack be raised in the MK without confirmation that he'd be able to leave.
Frostbeard wrote:So is Parson having free run of the Magic Kingdom totally unheard of, or was him being denied that in the first place the unusual thing? He is a caster after all.
Ummmm, yeah it was totally unheard of! He isn't a caster, he's a Warlord (or just "Special") Up until now, so far as everyone knew, Parson was a Warlord who somehow was able to enter the MK. Everyone thought that GK had cheated somehow. That's why, ya know, every time he has stepped foot there previously, he has been threatened/quickly encouraged to leave.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Frostbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 am

0beron wrote:
Frostbeard wrote:So is Parson having free run of the Magic Kingdom totally unheard of, or was him being denied that in the first place the unusual thing? He is a caster after all.
Ummmm, yeah it was totally unheard of! He isn't a caster, he's a Warlord (or just "Special") Up until now, so far as everyone knew, Parson was a Warlord who somehow was able to enter the MK. Everyone thought that GK had cheated somehow. That's why, ya know, every time he has stepped foot there previously, he has been threatened/quickly encouraged to leave.

I'm pretty sure Janice identified Parson as a hippiemancer at one point. Am I misremembering?
Frostbeard
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am

Frostbeard wrote:I'm pretty sure Janice identified Parson as a hippiemancer at one point. Am I misremembering?

She claimed, under duress, that he was. But really all that did was prevent MK casters from shooting him on the spot. He was still immediately required to leave because I don't think anyone really believed her. It just confused them enough to cause a pause.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Frostbeard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 am

0beron wrote:
Frostbeard wrote:I'm pretty sure Janice identified Parson as a hippiemancer at one point. Am I misremembering?

She claimed, under duress, that he was. But really all that did was prevent MK casters from shooting him on the spot. He was still immediately required to leave because I don't think anyone really believed her. It just confused them enough to cause a pause.

Okay, but what about the scroll? Casters are supposed to be the only ones able to use scrolls, and Parson was able to use the one Jojo gave him (though he was interrupted before he finished). The text update immediately preceding him getting beaned by the burning beam makes it pretty clear that Parson was able to read it and use it just fine.
Frostbeard
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am

*facepalm* The point is not whether or not Parson IS a caster, it's whether people THINK he is. Up until just "10 minutes ago" not even Parson knew he could cast. So yes, prior to that, he was not supposed to be in the MK, hence why he was barred and met with hostility. Your question was about previously, so I answered you about what happened before. If you're gonna ask a question, stick to one before moving on to another mid-conversation.

Now, on the topic of his PRESENT situation, there are 2 reasons he probably still shouldn't be allowed. 1) The fact that he CAN cast after all might be something he wants to keep secret, so he may not wish to tell any MK casters "Oh btw, I'm one of you after all." 2) He and GK just violated a whole host of MK laws/conventions, so regardless of his "right" to be there as a caster, there are no doubt many who would wish to revoke that right.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby YesNinja » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 am

So I guess the question is: Is Parson a caster with the Special of having a Leadership bonus, or is he a Warlord with the Special of being able to cast scrolls (and maybe more)?
YesNinja

Postby Zeku » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:51 am

Just wanted to broach an unrelated subject.

The exact nature of the MK has not been established. It's relatively safe to assume that it came into existence after the Titans created Erfworld.

This means that it is a physical place and can be reached through some means other than portals.

If it turns out that decrypted casters can't leave through a portal, they will just have to leave some other way.
Zeku

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 am

YesNinja wrote:So I guess the question is: Is Parson a caster with the Special of having a Leadership bonus, or is he a Warlord with the Special of being able to cast scrolls (and maybe more)?
Exactly, that's definitely the question for us to be wondering as the audience. And the MK may be wondering it as well, we just have to remember that they don't have all the info we do, hence their reactions to him may be different.
Zeku wrote:The exact nature of the MK has not been established. It's relatively safe to assume that it came into existence after the Titans created Erfworld.
....If it's exact nature has not been established, how do you "safely assume" it came into existence after the Titans created Erfworld...? There is absolutely 0 evidence to support that as even a long-shot theory, unless I'm forgetting something.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions