Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 am

Mikalyaran wrote:Warlord CAN manage cities. That was used as a punishment in jetstone for Warolords who screwed the pooch. Otherwise job like that are given to courtiers and such I think. Not sure if those are a seperate unit type or if Slately popped a bunch of warlords and whatnot just to hand hanger ons.

Very good point, we don't know much about Courtiers and their mechanical function, but it seems implied that perhaps collectively, they do the same thing as a Warlord manager. My main point was that the Ruler isn't doing that stuff, somebody else is.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am

0beron wrote:
Mikalyaran wrote:Warlord CAN manage cities. That was used as a punishment in jetstone for Warolords who screwed the pooch. Otherwise job like that are given to courtiers and such I think. Not sure if those are a seperate unit type or if Slately popped a bunch of warlords and whatnot just to hand hanger ons.

Very good point, we don't know much about Courtiers and their mechanical function, but it seems implied that perhaps collectively, they do the same thing as a Warlord manager. My main point was that the Ruler isn't doing that stuff, somebody else is.


And I agree with you. Haffaton may be managing but I bet they arn't doing so very well just now. Communication must be really limited. Do they even have any caster's left to facilitate things? And I wonder who their CWL even is. Doesn't seem super relevant to the story as it is being told yet. The trail may cause things to play out before they become relevant. But it would be nice to get some answers.

Maybe there is a management special instead of the leadership special for the city managers. I'd bet their primary lure is a low upkeep compared to warlords whose more versitile leadership bonus cost a lot.
User avatar
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 am

Rizban wrote:
0beron wrote:On that topic, I'm still amazed/intrigued that the side can continue with Olive as a Captive.
I think that this is the SINGLE biggest and best reveal in this entire prequel so far, at least as far as tactics go. Knowing this, I would focus the majority of military units and training on expert strike forces dedicated to capturing enemy rulers and eliminating all heirs. If you hold the ruler of a side captive and eliminate all heirs, then you "own" that side. Contact the CWL and lay out terms, "Do as we say, or your side ends." You force alliances, throw THEIR troops that THEY pay for into the enemies. There are endless numbers of tactics I can conceive on using this one thing. Frankly, if Parson doesn't know this, he should.


If I'm not mistaken, some old Charlie theories were along these lines...
WaterMonkey314
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:Haffaton may be managing but I bet they arn't doing so very well just now. Communication must be really limited. Do they even have any caster's left to facilitate things? And I wonder who their CWL even is. Doesn't seem super relevant to the story as it is being told yet. The trail may cause things to play out before they become relevant. But it would be nice to get some answers.

Maybe there is a management special instead of the leadership special for the city managers. I'd bet their primary lure is a low upkeep compared to warlords whose more versitile leadership bonus cost a lot.

All great questions, ones I was considering too. From what we've learned it seems that casters under Haffaton have uniformly suffered. I'm going to have to go back and re-read some of what Wanda revealed to Jillian to piece more together. I suspect Wanda is what's been holding them together, with her multi-casting ability. The eye-manikin and some of her other abilities must allow some degree of communication, so without her they're screwed from the sounds of it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Jinren » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:How dooes the unlimited move granted by the Arkenshoes fit into that?


It doesn't have to. Tools provide Titanic power that doesn't follow the restrictions faced by normal units. If there's no upper limit on where you can go with the Arkenshoes... well, that shows why they're so highly prized.

Besides, you still have colleagues with lmited move, and limited juice and HP. Going anywhere in the world on zero notice is only useful if you can do something when you get there: the shoes by themselves aren't going to hand you a city like Charlescomm or Gobwin Knob.

0beron wrote:Very good point, we don't know much about Courtiers and their mechanical function, but it seems implied that perhaps collectively, they do the same thing as a Warlord manager.


This is a bit unrelated, but I would tend to assume that courtiers, servants, and other things we've heard mentioned in the context of Spacerock aren't units with a defined Erf purpose: it seems entirely in character for Jetstone's elite to simply be so decadent that they set up a court complete with flunkies because they felt they deserved the lifestyle. Courtiers would be low-level warlords popped just for the symbolic status of having lots of them around, and servants would be stabbers or pikers who aren't being put to proper use.
Jinren
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Jinren wrote:This is a bit unrelated, but I would tend to assume that courtiers, servants, and other things we've heard mentioned in the context of Spacerock aren't units with a defined Erf purpose: it seems entirely in character for Jetstone's elite to simply be so decadent that they set up a court complete with flunkies because they felt they deserved the lifestyle. Courtiers would be low-level warlords popped just for the symbolic status of having lots of them around, and servants would be stabbers or pikers who aren't being put to proper use.

Well I believe I recall old FAQ having them as well, and in particular Don mentions Courtiers as a specific unit type, because his father had them but he found them manipulative and dangerous so he just let them croak eventually without ever popping any more of his own. So that to me suggests Courtiers at least are a special inherent unit, but I definitely agree with your point about servants. They are very likely unused Infantry, or perhaps just some native mechanic of Royal Cities and barely count as real units.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:Overall though I think ftl has got it. These issues only seem weird from our POV.
But why go with the theory that seems weird from our POV when we have a theory that requires no weirdness? I admit that the lack of clocks is awkward for a time-limit theory, but that can be awkwardly explained by generous time limits. On the other hand, no one has given any explanation for the movement of the sun in unlimited time theories. No one has explained why characters act like they have limited time. If time were unlimited, why would Stanley tell Parson that they don't have time to teach him everything he needs to know? See Book 1, Page 40.

You really shouldn't think a theory is right unless you have a way to make it seem consistent with known facts. Logical inconsistency is not a matter of POV.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby bladestorm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Lilwik wrote:
ftl wrote:Natural predictamancy seems like it would fit in quite well there - it's a reasonable answer and one which gives a very Erf-y resolution to the question.
It doesn't seem reasonable to me. How can even Predictamancy predict that you will end your turn when the sun sets? What if I think best while watching the sun set and decide that instead of ending my turn I'll give some new orders. There's no force in Erfworld that we've ever heard of that could compel me to end my turn at the moment the sun goes down. This isn't a situation where Fate can step in and drop a beam on my head to make me end my turn. If a chief warlord were really fated to end his turn every day when the sun went down, then Fate would be very, very easy to defy.

ftl wrote:It doesn't have direct textual support, but to me it seems like a better guess than any other we have at the moment.
I'd really like to know why you like that mind-bendingly strange and complicated idea more than the obvious and simple idea that turns have time limits.

It is like you are taking a test in school and there is a clock on the wall and you are told the test will end at 2 o'clock. Then you are told that you have as much time to complete the test as you want, and the test only ends at 2 o'clock because whatever time you choose to finish the test will be 2 o'clock, and even the clock on the wall will say 2 o'clock at that time. And yet the clock keeps ticking toward 2 as though none of those weird time rules were real and you really have less than an hour left to finish the test. This kind of thing is surreal and far from a likely description of how turns work in Erfworld.

If Erfworld turns worked on surreal craziness like that, surely we'd have seen a Klog from Parson about it.

Reversal of cause and effect. The sun setting doesn't cause you to end turn. You ending turn causes the sun to set. Predictamancy moves the sun to a relative position in the sky based upon the actions your side is performing throughout the day. When you are halfway through your turn, and your turn order is not in conflict with another Side's turn order, the sun is at midsky. If three groups are in the same battlespace, it is dawn for all Sides until the first Side ends turn, which puts the sun about 1/3 way across the sky. When the second Side ends their turn, the sun moves to 2/3 the way across the sky. When the last turn has ended, the sun sets.

For the movement of the clock to 2 o'clock, it is based upon your completion of the test, since your action of completing the test coincides with 2 o'clock. If it is 1 o'clock now, and you have 60 questions to answer, the comparison would be that the clock moves one minute for each answer you complete. If you answer 3 questions, it is 1:03. You go to the store, get something to eat, battle some street thugs along the way, stop by and watch a movie, and come back to the test. 1:03 according to the clock. Answer the next question, and the clock reads 1:04. You simply do not run out of time. You can run out of Move, Juice, Units, Hits, but not time. Even if the movie run time was 4 hours, and the clock at the movie theatre indicated that four hours had passed, the clock for the test would still not have changed, because the activity associated with the passage of its time has not changed.

There is no benefit to not ending Turn, other than delaying the inevitable. Without ending turn, there's no healing, no rations popped, no new units popped, nothing. Could you theoretically just not end turn to prolong a conflict, sure. What would be the point, though? The only time it would matter is if your units were in the same hex as another Side, and eventually one side is going to lose all of its troops. At that point, the only Side you are affecting is your own Side, since other Sides in other hexes have already progressed onto the next day.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Lilwik wrote:
  1. No one has given any explanation for the movement of the sun in unlimited time theories.
  2. No one has explained why characters act like they have limited time.
  3. If time were unlimited, why would Stanley tell Parson that they don't have time to teach him everything he needs to know? See Book 1, Page 40.

  1. I believe this was addressed in that summer update. From a given unit's perspective, the sun actually DOES backtrack/fast-forward as they cross into different hexes IIRC. In general I don't think units pay much attention because it's all they know so it doesn't seem odd.
  2. Because order and relative time still matter.
  3. Because "time" in that sense is meaning many things. For one I think it's really implying he simply doesn't have the patience so he's making up lame excuses. But from a legitmate perspective, it also refers to full turns. In ideal situations, it would take many turns to teach a unit about Erfworld because it has to be done from experience (case and point....this entire comic and what Parson is going through to learn about it). But GK didn't have multiple turns in which Parson could learn strategy.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Jinren » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Lilwik wrote:why would Stanley tell Parson that they don't have time to teach him everything he needs to know? See Book 1, Page 40.


Because Stanley is assuming that "teaching" = "gaining EXP from multiple engagements". He doesn't refer to teaching, anyway; he refers to Parson "rising through the ranks". Multiple levels are not something one can expect to gain in a single turn, and everyone at that stage in the story assumes that expertise and levels are identical, because Parson hasn't proved them wrong yet.

Lilwik wrote:no one has given any explanation for the movement of the sun in unlimited time theories ... You really shouldn't think a theory is right unless you have a way to make it seem consistent with known facts.


Has it at any point been said that the sun moves in an analogue fashion?

Until shown otherwise I would tend to assume that it leaps from point to point in the sky, not glides smoothly. No predictamancy required. It's got to leap about anyway when you cross a hex boundary, so why not keep it static until you reach a turn boundary as well?
Jinren
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 pm

bladestorm wrote:There is no benefit to not ending Turn, other than delaying the inevitable.
It would give Parson unlimited time to plan, as well as give him time to learn everything Sizemore, Wanda, and Jack know about magic and read the entire content of the library, all while getting as much sleep as he could ever want.

Jinren wrote:Has it at any point been said that the sun moves in an analogue fashion?
Not exactly, but almost. From Summer Update 29 we know that within a single hex a day is 24 hours, and they have a concept of minutes and seconds, and seconds are all the same length: One-thousand-one. We also know that when four minutes pass the sun will be "four minutes further along in the sky."
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Jinren wrote:Has it at any point been said that the sun moves in an analogue fashion?
Not exactly, but almost. From Summer Update 29 we know that within a single hex a day is 24 hours, and they have a concept of minutes and seconds, and seconds are all the same length: One-thousand-one. We also know that when four minutes pass the sun will be "four minutes further along in the sky."
Then the update directly contradicts itself, which points to the fact that Erflings have trouble explaining this to Parson. Because if "one-thousand-one" is a second, and those add up to a day in the same way Earthlings are familiar with, in every single hex, then time would never be relative, it'd be running at the same point in every hex. Since we know for sure that this isn't the case (due to empirical evidence of the sun jumping backwards), it must be that Erflings don't actually understand "one-thousand-one" the way we do, or that Erfworld itself somehow distorts time to make this counting appear consistent whenever you do it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm

0beron wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
  1. No one has given any explanation for the movement of the sun in unlimited time theories.
  2. No one has explained why characters act like they have limited time.
  3. If time were unlimited, why would Stanley tell Parson that they don't have time to teach him everything he needs to know? See Book 1, Page 40.

  1. I believe this was addressed in that summer update. From a given unit's perspective, the sun actually DOES backtrack/fast-forward as they cross into different hexes IIRC. In general I don't think units pay much attention because it's all they know so it doesn't seem odd.
  2. Because order and relative time still matter.
  3. Because "time" in that sense is meaning many things. For one I think it's really implying he simply doesn't have the patience so he's making up lame excuses. But from a legitmate perspective, it also refers to full turns. In ideal situations, it would take many turns to teach a unit about Erfworld because it has to be done from experience (case and point....this entire comic and what Parson is going through to learn about it). But GK didn't have multiple turns in which Parson could learn strategy.


You do a much better job of explaining what I was trying to say :p Wish I wasn't posting from work.
User avatar
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:41 pm

0beron wrote:Then the update directly contradicts itself, which points to the fact that Erflings have trouble explaining this to Parson.
I see it directly contradicting the unlimited time theory, but contradicting itself is less clear.

0beron wrote:Because if "one-thousand-one" is a second, and those add up to a day in the same way Earthlings are familiar with, in every single hex, then time would never be relative, it'd be running at the same point in every hex.
It seems that time doesn't run at all in empty hexes. If you move through unoccupied hexes, the sun goes across the sky as normal even when you cross hex boundaries, but apparently that's because the sun has jumped to match the position where it was when you left your original hex. If you sit there and watch the sun for a while it will cross the sky at the usual rate, but then you can go back to rejoin your friends in your original hex and the sun will jump backward because far less time has passed for them than it has for you. Apparently this is because units that move between hexes are given more hours in their turns to give them time to travel.

The movement of the sun and the passage of time when units are moving seems to be complicated and unintuitive, but so far we don't know enough about it for it to contradict itself. Fortunately we don't need to consider any of those complications because turns pass whether you are moving or not, so the issue of time limits exists even when only one hex is involved.

0beron wrote:Since we know for sure that this isn't the case (due to empirical evidence of the sun jumping backwards), it must be that Erflings don't actually understand "one-thousand-one" the way we do, or that Erfworld itself somehow distorts time to make this counting appear consistent whenever you do it.
Time doesn't flow at the same speed for everyone, so it is distorted, but there is no appearance of consistency; a moving unit will find that days have more than 24 hours if he counts. This is why traveling by mount relay is tiresome and why Ansom was annoyed by Stanley's abuse of the system to call Ansom back to the capital repeatedly.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Lilwik wrote:If you sit there and watch the sun for a while it will cross the sky at the usual rate, but then you can go back to rejoin your friends in your original hex and the sun will jump backward because far less time has passed for them than it has for you. Apparently this is because units that move between hexes are given more hours in their turns to give them time to travel.

THAT is a contradiction. Time cannot move at a constant rate yet still give units "extra" hours or have time pass differently for "your friends". It simply doesn't add up and by trying to argue that it does, you're actually bringing up more reasons that it doesn't, or making entirely baseless assumptions like "units get more hours because they travel.". You were arguing that we are making up mechanics to support the limitless time theory, and now you are doing the same. If you need to make excessive use of the word "apparently" in your argument, you're making too many assumptions.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:12 pm

0beron wrote:THAT is a contradiction. Time cannot move at a constant rate yet still give units "extra" hours or have time pass differently for "your friends".
No one is saying that time moves at a constant rate when you are moving. It doesn't move at a constant rate when you are moving in real life either. Just think of the Twin Paradox; surely you don't think reality contradicts itself too. Of course, Erfworld seems to do it in reverse of how Stupidworld does it.

0beron wrote:It simply doesn't add up and by trying to argue that it does, you're actually bringing up more reasons that it doesn't, or making entirely baseless assumptions like "units get more hours because they travel."
Sizemore: "I mean for a unit that is...that is moving, time passes normally, but not relative to units in other hexes. A Lookamancer tracking the movement of that unit may see it move much faster in their time. The time in their hex."

0beron wrote:You were arguing that we are making up mechanics to support the limitless time theory, and now you are doing the same.
I don't remember arguing that you made up mechanics. I remember being frustrated by the failure of anyone to even make up a mechanic that could explain limitless time in the presence of a moving sun. I'm not making up mechanics; I'm observing mechanics by reading Summer Update 29, and inferring that turns must have time limits since the movement of the sun doesn't wait upon the command of units.

0beron wrote:If you need to make excessive use of the word "apparently" in your argument, you're making too many assumptions.
Actually, assumptions that are apparent are the best kind. If you're making assumptions based on things that you can't see, then you might be making too many assumptions, but assuming the things which are apparent in the story is something you can never do too much.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Looks like the time vs turn thing has turned into a big firestorm.

The biggest thing I wondered about was when Stanley mentioned that he might not have time to make it to the throne room to change the capital to Spacerock to save Parson. It could just be that he was trying to talk himself out of it, but it made me think if it actually mattered if he went through all that fancy stuff, or just took a leasurly stroll, stopped for a sandwich, had a quick nap, and then changed the capital side. After all, it was stated quite plainly that time flowed differently in different hexes.... but also stated that time was consistently 'one-thousand-one' makes a second, and those add up to a day. So since Stanley isn't in the same hex as Parson, wouldn't time flow differently? And since order is what matters, wouldn't it only matter that Stanley intended to change the capital before Parson was croaked? We don't really have an answer to this, though maybe the fact that he just barely made it in time indicates that yes indeed, because he wanted to change the capital before parson croaked, he managed to make it before Parson croaked.

As for the overall question of turns being limited by time, I kind of feel that it is limited by time, based mostly on the fact that a second is a defined amount of time, and that so many seconds add up to a day, and it is NEVER anyone's turn at night. That said though, it is important to remember that time isn't the same in every hex. The only time that time seems to be consistent, is when it is night. A unit moving through hexes and scouting gets more hours in a day (more 'one-thousand-one's) because they are moving to new hexes, and thus time is not consistent between the hexes, in exactly the same way that someone moving at nearly the speed of light gets fewer hours in a day, and thus time is not consistent between the person moving and people staying still. Basically every time you change hexes, your count for the seconds in a day gets messed up, especially if you go back to a hex with another unit in it (which most scouts do to report their findings).

So, if there is a time limit on a turn, how does that work with sides in battlespace? Well, since time flows differently in different hexes, a side can get a full turn of ~16 hours, and it could seem like only a few minutes had passed to the other side, who could then get their full ~16 hours as well in the last few minutes of the first side's turn.

So why don't erfworlders have clocks? Well, the same reason the Native Americans didn't have clocks: They didn't need them. The sun told them when it was time to eat, when it was midday, when it was almost time to sleep, etc. Also, they may lack the technology. While a caster likely could make a clock, there really wouldn't be much reason to, so no one has bothered. I mean, there are tons of things we have the technology, the basic ability to make, but don't because there is no reason for us to. After all, they have roughly 16 hours to decide everything they want to do, with most sides being no bigger than a dozen or so cities, who really needs to measure every one of those seconds to make sure they wrap everything up in time?

Also, consider old FAQ for a moment. Many people in favor of unlimited time have pointed out that you would eventually run out of move, juice, hp, etc. and thus be forced to end turn simply to replenish those things. But old FAQ didn't care about these things. They wanted to be a bubble kingdom, they wanted to simply sit around and debate things constantly, or think up therms, or whatever. 95% of their units never used their move, hp, or juice, and the other 5% only did in order to earn schmuckers for upkeep. But if old FAQ simply never ended turn, then no new turn would ever come, which would mean they wouldn't need the upkeep, which would mean they wouldn't need the 5% to earn schmuckers. So why would old FAQ ever end its turn?

And on the same lines as old FAQ is any side that is about to lose the fight entirely. If they know they are doomed, and it is only a matter of a few turns before they are wiped out, why would the ruler not simply never end turn and stall forever? Sure, they could never replenish move or anything, but they'd get to hang out in their capital and do whatever they wanted for forever.

Like Duty, it may be natural thinkamancy that a Ruler wants to see how things play out, even if they're quite sure they're going to lose? Or maybe like Duty, rulers are compelled to end turn when they really don't have any more moves to make, and can't readily think of another one? So maybe there isn't a time limit per say when a turn will simply end itself, but some natural thinkamancy along the lines of Duty prevents a ruler stalling out. It might also make them act slower or faster to do everything they want in the time allotted to them. Maybe Stanley, Slately, and more or less all the rulers we've seen so far seem a bit on the dim side because they have 16 hours in which to do everything they need, but only really have 1 hour worth of work, so they are forced to draw it out. Slately has to deal with his courtiers and various Noble things. Stanley has trouble coming up with strategies. Don has to deal with his Warlords and go through things with them, sort of like Slately with his courtier. Jillian on the other hand seems to remain sharp because she is spending all her time flying around and doing things, thus actually has 16 hours worth of stuff to do in 16 hours. Charlie too has a ton of stuff to do because he is interacting with so many people, so comes across as exceptionally quick witted. Stanley in particular even seems to notice this himself to some extent, complaining about how he used to be 'smarter' as it where before he became a Ruler.
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lipkin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 pm

0beron wrote:
Lilwik wrote:If you sit there and watch the sun for a while it will cross the sky at the usual rate, but then you can go back to rejoin your friends in your original hex and the sun will jump backward because far less time has passed for them than it has for you. Apparently this is because units that move between hexes are given more hours in their turns to give them time to travel.

THAT is a contradiction. Time cannot move at a constant rate yet still give units "extra" hours or have time pass differently for "your friends". It simply doesn't add up and by trying to argue that it does, you're actually bringing up more reasons that it doesn't, or making entirely baseless assumptions like "units get more hours because they travel.". You were arguing that we are making up mechanics to support the limitless time theory, and now you are doing the same. If you need to make excessive use of the word "apparently" in your argument, you're making too many assumptions.

Where I think you are being tripped up is that you are assuming that a Day of 24 hours is followed by night, and that all turns must take place in a day.

We don't know this.

A second is one-one-thousand. A minute is 60 of those. An hour 60 more. A day 24 hours. All that tells us is that a day is a measurement of time, like an hour or a minute. That doesn't mean all turns take place within a 24 hour period. Night comes when it comes, it has no relation to time of day. The sun moves relative to it's observer in a hex, but the observer will never run out of time to do their action, because the limit to what they can do in a turn comes from the turn itself, not the time it takes to do it. If a task is a multiple turn ordeal, they will complete exactly the right amount of the task, and have exactly enough time to do it. Theoretically, it's possible for someone to take days to do a task, and have all that time take place during one turn. Except that this is unlikely, because the limit of what you can do in a turn probably lines up with the amount of time it takes. That doesn't mean it's a result of how much time it takes, but that it very conveniently works out that way.

Am I making sense?

As for Stanley having to rush to save Parson, Parson explicitly said he only had a couple minutes left. Maybe that means that Stanley moves into the same timeline as Parson? Time is relative to the observer, Stanly observed Parson say "two minutes," so now Stanley has to rush. Maybe.

As for why Faq doesn't just not end turn, sleep and food, that's why. You can choose not to end your turn, but units still need to sleep and eat. They may get their upkeep at the start of a turn, but they still get hungry, otherwise, why would they snack? We know Maggie says sleep helps her function, so rest is important. If given the choice, would you rather sleep while stuff was going on, or when you knew you were completely safe, like during the night?
User avatar
Lipkin
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Lipkin wrote:If given the choice, would you rather sleep while stuff was going on, or when you knew you were completely safe, like during the night?
The night isn't the only time when it's completely safe. It's also completely safe for the whole of your turn when the enemy can't do anything. If I was in your version of Erfworld I would always get plenty of sleep because there is no reason to end the turn until everyone is very well rested. Every unit should pick up a good book from the library each turn, because there's no reason to not give them time to read it cover-to-cover before ending the turn, with plenty of time for a tea break, and all of that on top of each unit performing its duties.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby LordAcme » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 pm

I've read through the posts but don't see anyone mentioning what I believe is a fact. Don't sides only have turns when they have battlespace contact?
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests