Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby Oberon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:04 am

Aquillion wrote:But my money is on "your turn ends eventually no matter what you do", simply because there have doubtless been many rulers who faced the fact that they and everyone they loved were going to die soon after they ended their turn; if it were possible to just filibuster forever, time in Erfworld would have ceased to flow long long ago.
Agreed. No turn can last forever, because of the observer effect. The army coming to end you? Observer effect prevents you from taking infinite time. Before the shit bomb attack Jetstone thought that their eventual elimination of the GK units in the city's airspace was a sure thing. And so they were taking their time, offering ridiculous terms in parley, moving their units to the best places to attack from, and generally setting themselves up for as painless a fight as could be arranged. But they didn't have infinite time to do this, because Wanda and company were observers and this prevented the luxury of infinite time. If you accept this, then the only question remaining is why, with all the time which has passed in Erfworld, has there never been a situation where the observer effect didn't force a side to end its turn? And the easiest answer to that question is also the simplest: Plot.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 am

Oberon wrote:No turn can last forever, because of the observer effect. The army coming to end you? Observer effect prevents you from taking infinite time.
I think that turns probably just end when the time for that turn is up, so no turn can last forever, but I'm confused by your use of the term "observer effect." What exactly do you mean by that?

Oberon wrote:If you accept this, then the only question remaining is why, with all the time which has passed in Erfworld, has there never been a situation where the observer effect didn't force a side to end its turn? And the easiest answer to that question is also the simplest: Plot.
If the only possible answer to a difficulty in a theory is "plot" then the theory is surely wrong. Plot is not a real explanation for anything, so you can't use it to save a troubled theory. Maybe the observer effect doesn't even exist.
Lilwik

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:07 am

Lipkin wrote:Remember that Judy is from Stupidworld. Charlie and Parson use the word 'kill" and people know they mean the word "Croak," despite never having heard the word before. Year could translate to 365 turns in Erf.

I don't think Charlie has ever used the word 'kill' has he? I was fairly certain he was a native Erfworlder.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:45 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
Lipkin wrote:Remember that Judy is from Stupidworld. Charlie and Parson use the word 'kill" and people know they mean the word "Croak," despite never having heard the word before. Year could translate to 365 turns in Erf.

I don't think Charlie has ever used the word 'kill' has he? I was fairly certain he was a native Erfworlder.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -09-19.jpg

And Judy says "kill" here to Jillian, and Jill knows hat it means, despite never having heard it.

http://www.erfworld.com/2012/11/inner-p ... isode-051/
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 am

Hmm, interesting. I'd forgotten about that mostly because it was basically a quote, and isn't nearly as impactful with croak. It is however possible that he knew the word from Judy, and used it to show how serious he was. Or, like Jillian, it could be a word that all Erfworlders technically know, but never use as it is so vulgar.

Edit: I suppose it could raise the question of Charlie being a Stupidworlder as well, and would be even more in line with his old role as The Wizard, since I seem to recall that the Wizard of Oz was, like Dorthy, from Earth, but liked being in Oz. Could be wrong about that though, haven't seen the movie since I was a little kid.
Last edited by Taikei no Yuurei on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I don't think Charlie has ever used the word 'kill' has he? I was fairly certain he was a native Erfworlder.

Also, Charlie has used "kill", when talking to Slately "We kill the fat man". This isn't necessarily proof he's a Stupid-Worlder though, because we now know he could have learned it from Judy.
Last edited by 0beron on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm

0beron wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I don't think Charlie has ever used the word 'kill' has he? I was fairly certain he was a native Erfworlder.

Also, Charlie has used "kill", when talking to Slately "We kill the fat man". This isn't necessarily proof he's a Stupid-Worlder though, because we now know he could have learned it from Judy.

Attributing that to the wrong person, and I already posted the two pages where people other than Parson have used kill. Two posts above yours.
Lipkin

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Lipkin wrote:I already posted the two pages where people other than Parson have used kill. Two posts above yours.

Ah, your post didn't actually say anything about Charlie using it, so I assumed your links were about Judy.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm

0beron wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I already posted the two pages where people other than Parson have used kill. Two posts above yours.

Ah, your post didn't actually say anything about Charlie using it, so I assumed your links were about Judy.

Welp!
Lipkin

Previous

Return to Reactions