Book 2 – Page 112

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 112

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 am

Whispri wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Parson's establishing a GK fortress in Portal Park. He's building it AROUND the portals GK controls, so only GK units can enter there.
Which means that, from now on, GK can accumulate bodies, move them into the park, then throw them through a portal where Wanda Decrypts them on the other side.
Parson can launch an attack on any side's capital, at will, through their back door, at ANY TIME, DAY OR NIGHT.

Not if the disbandment clause clicks in regardless of the direction of travel. This seems more likely to be about threatening to turn Portal Park into no man's land.

Corpses are bodies - they're like items, and can be carried back and forth. Throw some bodies through into MK and decrypt. Establish fortress. Throw more bodies through, which will be used for assaults. Stack them in MK, throw them through the next portal - decrypt them in the target Capital. Parson establishes a fortress in the MK, and can reinforce it via Decryption at will.

The only thing that prevents casters and Parson from entering opposing cities via Portal Park is convention.

The Casters there are not organized enough to resist him in an organized manner, they're all glass cannons, and some casters will join him (and benefit from the defenses). Even worse, they CAN'T all watch him 24/7, and with Sizemore's Instant Fortresses, all he has to do is open tunnels to the new target, surround it with a quick tower, and he can use it as a pipeline to send bodies through to the target uninterrupted. The only ones who *could* anticipate him are the Predictamancers, and *they're on his side already*.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 am

0beron wrote:To me, the fact that he came up with this plan just after talking about Jack suggests that he was gonna try to save Jack without Decryption, but how would bringing his body to the MK accomplish that?
If Jack is no longer a caster when he's decrypted, he can't pass through into the Magic Kingdom any more - he's just a normal infantry. Jack would be trapped where he's raised. When Parson takes that into consideration, he realizes he's got to move Jack's body somewhere 'safe' first, which opens up a whole lot of new possibilities once he considers using the same tactic on regular units.
MarbitChow

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 am

Klear wrote:
zyxophoj wrote:Controlling the MK does have its advantages, though. The most obvious one is that if the capital is switched back to Gobwin Knob, Sizemore can construct a tube between portals in the Magic Kingdom, make some small holes in Gobwin Knob, and flood an enemy capital with lava.

Hmmmm.. dwarfy...

How else do you expect to defeat all those elephants?

Now if you'll excuse me, I think that I see a sock on that rock in the lava river next to the elephants.
cheeseaholic

Postby zyxophoj » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 am

Klear wrote: Hmmmm.. dwarfy...

"On the wall is an engraving of King Tramennis and a red dwagon in lava. King Tramennis is surrounded by the lava. The red dwagon is laughing."

Anyway, the lava lake surface needs to be higher than the portal for this to work.

...which it isn't :(
Or is it?

I'm not sure if this is retconjuration or a trick of perspective.
zyxophoj

Postby Fjord » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 am

Klear wrote:How much of all dead bodies available are three dozens? Because he's the rest into MK. All of them. That doesn't sound like he only wants to guard the portal...

A dozen is twelve, so three dozen is 36 men, around 1/8 of the force available to be decrypted

* Edited to the correct proportions
Last edited by Fjord on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fjord

Postby Guppy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 am

hehehe426 wrote:Wanda's scaring me ._.
I'm suddenly very afraid for Jack, when he gets decrypted. That's an evil look she's got there.

"Such a long game... What will we play at now?" No remorse, no regrets. Or maybe she does regret?

Such an interesting statement by Wanda, with many subtlety different interpretations possible.
Guppy

Postby Klear » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:17 am

zyxophoj wrote:
Klear wrote: Hmmmm.. dwarfy...

"On the wall is an engraving of King Tramennis and a red dwagon in lava. King Tramennis is surrounded by the lava. The red dwagon is laughing."

Anyway, the lava lake surface needs to be higher than the portal for this to work.

...which it isn't :(
Or is it?

I'm not sure if this is retconjuration or a trick of perspective.

You just need some dwarf-powered magma-safe pumps and you're set...
Klear

Postby effataigus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 am

Hmm, so to update the theory list...

Attacking Chalescomm through TMK...

Attacking TMK or the carnymancers directly...

Strategic body reserve...
Pros: Sure, why not?
Cons: They could only be deployed in the current capital and TMK. Unless Charlescomm invading Spacerock reverts the capital to GK, that would be where the bodies currently are.

Fortifying the portal...
Pros: Seems a good thing to do in light of recent developments.
Cons: Wouldn't it be easier to hold the Spacerock/GK side without dividing their forces like this?

Parson doesn't seem very committed to holding Spacerock, so I have to wonder if one of the first two theories is most likely.
Last edited by effataigus on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby x1372 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:46 am

10 minutes from now, Charlie calls Parson and asks how many archons it would take to capture Spacerock if all of the dead are Decrypted. He spends a calculation, and Parson is forced to give him his answer.

The next day, Charlie sends a few more Archons than that to bring Parson down.

But somehow, Parson's forces easily defeat the Archons, securing Parson's safety and netting him a nice new supply of Decrypted Archons.

I don't think this is any sort of plan to attack the Magic Kingdom. Parson doesn't even need to decrypt anything there. He's hiding bodies there so that he can skew the information he's forced to give Charlie and use it as bait to pull one over on the manipulator. One fewer calculation, many fewer Archons, and a fear that the rest of his calculations can be rendered worthless.
x1372

Postby joosy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:58 am

I agree with the speculation that this is a ploy against Charlie. It serves the double purpose of thwarting counter attacks from the MK and misdirecting Charlie. He knows Charlie is going to be even more desperate to take him out and, if he can trick him into overconfidence, force him into making a mistake and hopefully replenishing GK's Archon supply.
joosy

Postby Venthus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Long shot here that I really don't expect to pan out, but a thought I'm having fun playing with: Taking over the MK.

The Thinkomancers, at least some of the Predictamancers and a rather prominent Hippiemancer are already on his side; the rest of the MK would probably be hostile to an attempted take-over (or at least use of the MK as a military encampment) and be able to cause major harm to an invading decrypted force, but unlike pretty much anywhere outside of the MK, it's practically impossible to get reinforcements. There are only so many casters outside of the MK (assuming their ruler permits them to assist), every one that falls will strengthen the invasion and they're disorganized-- bonuses will probably be nonexistent, compared to the trained, decrypted forces of a master-class Croakamancer, Parson's warlord bonus, and the commanders they have.

And I suspect something bad is going to go down-- once again, Sizemore looks conflicted in panel 1, probably about his orders...
Venthus

Postby Klear » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 pm

x1372 wrote:10 minutes from now, Charlie calls Parson and asks how many archons it would take to capture Spacerock if all of the dead are Decrypted. He spends a calculation, and Parson is forced to give him his answer.

The next day, Charlie sends a few more Archons than that to bring Parson down.

But somehow, Parson's forces easily defeat the Archons, securing Parson's safety and netting him a nice new supply of Decrypted Archons.

I don't think this is any sort of plan to attack the Magic Kingdom. Parson doesn't even need to decrypt anything there. He's hiding bodies there so that he can skew the information he's forced to give Charlie and use it as bait to pull one over on the manipulator. One fewer calculation, many fewer Archons, and a fear that the rest of his calculations can be rendered worthless.

That doesn't seem too plausible to me considering Charlie probably knows exactly what's going on in MK. He's anything but stupid. Besides, when taking on Parson, I don't see him using anything less than everything he can spare, calculations or not.
Klear

Postby mroozee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

So Parson is putting a roughly 30x30 pyramid in Portal Park. Good thing he didn't order Sizemore to build a vastly larger underground complex... one capable of housing/storing 270 dudes... because that would be outrageous. And awesome.

Using Portal Park as his express way, Parson will now be able to invade Jetstone before Tremmanis arrives. Depending upon juice requirements, Sizemore could build a similar structure around Jetstone's portal, link them by tunnel and the invasion is on. Conquering Jetstone would cost him a portal, though... maybe he'll negotiate generous surrender terms.

Prediction: at some point in the next book, Hamster will establish and declare himself Lord of the Great Underground Empire.
mroozee

Postby GJC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 pm

My question would be, if decrypted casters can still, y'know, cast, wouldn't this be a prime opportunity to just net control of the magic kingdom? There's a bunch of casters clustered around the fortress. I don't think any of them are expecting a force of 30 knights to charge out and start slaughtering left and right, especially if Jack or Sizemore help them get close. And that's just the knights; infantry's going to be doing work as well. Casters are powerful, but they're force multipliers, not front-line units.

The Knights and Infantry would eventually get dusted, obviously, there's plenty of other casters around with Hobokens on-tap. But by the time they go down, a bunch of MK casters are going to be dead as well. At that point it's casters vs. casters. If Wanda decrypts them as they fall, we have the usual Decrypted Snowball, where Wanda's forces grow faster than the enemy can kill them off. And because the Thinkamancers are (presumably) on Parson's side, there's going to be very little in terms of early warning.

It might be a bit of a numbers game, but if he succeeds, he gets 20-40 free casters and full control of the MK. Don't tell me that wouldn't be worth a bit of a risk here.
GJC

Postby StClair » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:51 pm

putting the potential strategic use of the MK and a decrypted army aside for a moment...
Wanda is scaring me again.
StClair

Postby Lamech » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:01 pm

If this works... I think that's game. There where what? At least a dozen hippies? Take that and multiply it by 8? We are looking at maybe a 100 casters. Plus every time a nation sends one through a portal it gets taken. I think Parson is making his play for end game here.

Unless the target isn't the MK. He could be doing another portal strike. Perhaps he is striking at Charlie? Or at Jetstone's new capital?
Lamech

Postby erianaiel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Not going to speculate on Parson's plan

However, now they have a pyramid protecting their portal, does that mean the signamancy of their portal will make it circular rather than rectangular?
erianaiel

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm

This is an awfully bold move. Even previously neutral casters are going to be very upset if Gobwin Knob leaves a non-caster force in the Magic Kingdom.

If he has to stack the bodies up, how is he going to bring all 270 of them to their feet? Is he planning to expand that fortress later?
ManaCaster

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:18 pm

That doesn't seem like enough troops to take the MK. If there's any unit that can attack at range, it's a caster. It won't take long for everyone who can to be targeting Wanda with anything that can hit, from flying rocks to mental attacks to status effects to stop her from doing actions. Or perhaps negating equipment abilities? If you're going to take the MK, then you'll want to start with at least a few hundred troops. A few thousand would be better. With some of them able to see through veils.
cheeseaholic

Postby Pointyleaf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Venthus wrote:And I suspect something bad is going to go down-- once again, Sizemore looks conflicted in panel 1, probably about his orders...

Interesting observations for this update:

1) There seems to be a lot more history to Wanda and Jack than we know about. Is this history a conflict, a friendly game, or an alliance?

2) As Venthus points out, Sizemore's unhappy about Parson interfering with MK. If Sizemore's unhappiness continues to build, it will probably lead to a showdown with Parson. Will it resolve amicably, through discussion, or badly, through Sizemore defecting? If the latter, we could have a story arc about Sizemore's personal development while gone, and the eventual reconciliation of Parson and Sizemore.

3) There's lots and lots of potential for strategy with this MKP (magic kingdom pyramid), as so many of you have pointed out. Sneak attacks on capitals, lava being ported from Gobwin Knob to other kingdoms' capitals (starting fires and infernos? Possibly overpowered).
Heck, Sizemore could dig tunnels and traps all underneath the MK, and, when the time comes, trigger them for an attack on MK. (Of course, that relies on Lookamancers and other Dirtomancers not catching on in the meantime).

This is not to say that Parson *wants* to attack the MK -- right now, it'd be amazingly foolish -- but the possibilities this opens up are a bit scary.
Pointyleaf

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions