Erfabet

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Erfabet

Postby ftl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 am

Yeah, the erfabet is probably simplifying a little for the sake of rhyming. I'd go with what was said earlier being true, and calling them "casters" being just a thing to make a cute rhyme about them. They're sort of like casters in that they can cast, they're just not actually Casters (can't go into the MK, have a limited supply of spells, etc.)
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby frei » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am

"Yeah they are not technically casters. But I just had my poetic license renewed and I figured I would take it out for a spin." --Rob, on Facebook

I continue to be impressed with the Erfabet. I'm also LOVING having content every day!
frei

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 am

Nnng. Vanna's eyes. They are super creepy. D =
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Vreejack » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Nnng. Vanna's eyes. They are super creepy. D =

Ya, I think Hahn made a mistake there. The old solid eyes were a result of low detail. Those eyes were all round, like Little Orphan Annie. The human visual system does not pay much attention to the details of color boundary, which is why water colors work so well, so a circle full of color could be seen as a human eye shows in low resolution. But here Vanna's eyes have a detailed boundary instead of a circle, so the iris ought to be detailed, too, or you get a weird psychological reaction. Or it could be that they want us to have a weird reaction.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby zilfallon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 am

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... ed_640.png

Shouldn't the red dwagon be a plated dwagon in this picture? It really looks weird when Tool rides an unarmored one. HE DESERVES A BETTER STEED!
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Lor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

Queen: Yeah, Vanna does look a bit odd, but the first thing I noticed was the posture, eyes and expression was Jillian. She looks like she needs a hug! Very fitting with the caption.

Jack: Both Jack and the Tool look a bit odd here. Perhaps it is that Jack has been getting a more youthful look lately.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:43 am

Could Vanna have been meant to be shown at the time she was linked to Charlie, and that's why her eyes are weird
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby zilfallon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 am

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... ed_640.png

IMHO the last few erfabets are just bad, art-wise. That background with no detail, Bogroll, Parson...I'm not saying the artist is bad, the first Erfabets were actually pretty good and I was really looking forward to new ones, but the "2" and "Stanley" ones are not to my liking.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby arkerpay » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I think the Erfabet series is cute and all, but when are we going to get a new update? All I have to read now is the reaction forum where people are having verbal knife-fights over how many subatomic fate particles can co-exist on the head of a needle.

A book zero update would be nice.
arkerpay

Postby drachefly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 pm

VERY well-timed comment!
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby zilfallon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 pm

arkerpay wrote:A book zero update would be nice.

Is this predictamancy or carnymancy?

I mean, did he see a text update coming or did he make it come? :D
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Or maybe he used turnamancy to decrease the amount of time an update does, or Rhymamancy to inspire Xin.

Wait I know what we need a Dittomancer. Dos anyone on the forum know dittomancy so we can duplicate Rob and Xin, and get updates twice as fast.
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Vreejack » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Have you been looking at Xin's work? The detail on this last one amazes. Probably takes her a while.

Hahn's work is more like the original stuff. I think Rob gave him Erfabet as a way to come up to speed. Xin will be a tough act to follow.

As for Hahn's Tool, well, he looks a bit dumpy compared to what we are used to, but I am going to call it signamancy. All he does is stay at home and get carried around by twolls.
I kinda like the way he draws Parson looking dubiously at Bogroll, too. 'Cept he's missing a pizza stain.
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby arkerpay » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:52 pm

zilfallon wrote:
arkerpay wrote:A book zero update would be nice.

Is this predictamancy or carnymancy?

I mean, did he see a text update coming or did he make it come? :D

Neither. It was pure luckamancy.
arkerpay

Postby Fjord » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 am

arkerpay wrote:I think the Erfabet series is cute and all, but when are we going to get a new update? All I have to read now is the reaction forum where people are having verbal knife-fights over how many subatomic fate particles can co-exist on the head of a needle.

A book zero update would be nice.

This clearly proves that fate is a real thing, and that ten fate-archons can dance on a needles head.
Period.
Fjord

Postby zilfallon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 am

Vreejack wrote:Have you been looking at Xin's work? The detail on this last one amazes. Probably takes her a while.

Hahn's work is more like the original stuff. I think Rob gave him Erfabet as a way to come up to speed. Xin will be a tough act to follow.

As for Hahn's Tool, well, he looks a bit dumpy compared to what we are used to, but I am going to call it signamancy. All he does is stay at home and get carried around by twolls.
I kinda like the way he draws Parson looking dubiously at Bogroll, too. 'Cept he's missing a pizza stain.

Assuming this was a reply to my comment, you misunderstood me.

I'm not comparing Hahn to Xin, it is obvious their styles are different and I'm not saying that I don't like Hahn's style. In fact, I always liked Jamie's extremely low detailed drawings more. I was merely comparing the early Erfabet updates to the latest ones. And yes, even though I liked Jamie's detail-free style more, I don't like the latest Erfabets.

Edit: The "9" erfabet is pretty good, maybe Mr Hahn rolled a natural 1 on the parson-bogroll and tool-jack ones? :D
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Vreejack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 am

I didn't really like "9". It was set up well, but Ossimer lacked that "Man of Steel" look that Xin had cultivated. She always made him appear to be Superman's stunt double, but now he's just some guy.
Vreejack

Postby Vreejack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am

I really like "I is for Infantry".

That image looks so much like an animation still that I would swear the troopers are moving.
Vreejack

Postby Finwe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am

zilfallon wrote:
Vreejack wrote:Have you been looking at Xin's work? The detail on this last one amazes. Probably takes her a while.

Assuming this was a reply to my comment, you misunderstood me.

I'm not comparing Hahn to Xin, it is obvious their styles are different and I'm not saying that I don't like Hahn's style. In fact, I always liked Jamie's extremely low detailed drawings more. I was merely comparing the early Erfabet updates to the latest ones. And yes, even though I liked Jamie's detail-free style more, I don't like the latest Erfabets.

Edit: The "9" erfabet is pretty good, maybe Mr Hahn rolled a natural 1 on the parson-bogroll and tool-jack ones? :D

Also keep in the mind that the whole point of the 'erfabet' is to give Mr. Hahn a chance to get used to drawing Erfworld and its characters, so that by the time he starts drawing book 3 he'll have a better sense of what works and what doesn't. Remember that Xin's art (the characters in particular) was pretty rough at the start of Book 2, and grew better and better as the book progressed.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 am

Man, those round eyes look creepy. I don't think they're supposed to.

[edit] Talking about the Night update, with Sizemore and Janis [/edit]
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions