Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 109

Postby Zeromedeiros » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 pm

SMASHING PUMPKINS!!
Zeromedeiros

Postby Tortie » Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Zeromedeiros wrote:SMASHING PUMPKINS!!

See, the first thing I thought of was the githyanki...
Tortie

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon May 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Eeeeeeeeeee!!
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

udat wrote:I don't get the mazel tov thing - it means "good luck" right?

I don't know all the specifics (not Jewish), but I believe it has to do with the fact that they break a glass at weddings, and mazel tov would be said then.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Zeromedeiros » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Tortie wrote:
Zeromedeiros wrote:SMASHING PUMPKINS!!

See, the first thing I thought of was the githyanki...

I'd reckon that logo anywhere!

But a quick wikipedia search made me see that we may be both right.

EDIT:
0beron wrote:
udat wrote:I don't get the mazel tov thing - it means "good luck" right?

I don't know all the specifics (not Jewish), but I believe it has to do with the fact that they break a glass at weddings, and mazel tov would be said then.

The 'SMASHING' Pumpkins reference seems to cover the 'smashing' of the Glass...that also explains the Mazel Tov.
Zeromedeiros

Postby Denar » Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Aquillion wrote:This would seem to confirm that the hammer can only levitate up-and-down, not fly horizontally, since he needs a purple to send him through the window.

(Actually, how are they going to tell Sizemore they need him? He wasn't able to get through to Maggie, after all; no reason to think either him or Parson would be able to reach Sizemore.

Well, actually I think this confirms the hammer can move in any direction, because how else does he move from outside the tower to his throne? Are you suggesting that he lets the dwagon blast him with sonic damage?
Also, maybe he can still use natural thinkamancy to order Sizemore to go to the Capital. We haven't seen what it's like in the MK yet, maybe Maggie has been getting the natural thinkamancy order from Stanley to contact him and she just can't (my reason for thinking that Charlie hasn't blocked Stanley's natural ruler thinkamancy - Stanley still seems to know the location and status of his units). They'd all be confused as to why the Capital seems to be a completely different place though.
Denar

Postby Finwe » Mon May 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Awesome!

I don't think the purple's breath was to move Stanley, but rather to smash the windows. Notice that he's not visibly hurt.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

teratorn wrote:I'm having trouble with the background in the last panel. There's a throne there, shouldn't it be the room and not the sky?

I believe the "camera" is in front of his desk, looking towards the throne with him seated on it and the (broken) window behind him.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Aquillion wrote:(Actually, how are they going to tell Sizemore they need him? He wasn't able to get through to Maggie, after all; no reason to think either him or Parson would be able to reach Sizemore. Parson could dash through the portal to get him personally, but who knows what the situation is back there?)

This is easy. Parson is in the portal room. When the portal reappears, he just has to step through to the MK and get Sizemore. No thinkamancy required.

The only question is, will GK's portal in the MK move to the Jetstone location, or stay where it was? If it stays where it was, then he just has to walk a little bit. If it moves to where Jetstone's old portal used to sit, then he won't even have to walk. Sizemore will be right there when he comes through.
Sky Schemer

Postby effataigus » Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Nice! Fun update, and beautifully drawn.

Sometimes characters have a redeeming moment right before they are bumped off. We just learned a lot about GK's current defenses, and now essentially all of GK's big power pieces are now in no position to help Stanely. Dude just painted a target on himself. Then again, I've been fretting for him for awhile now, and he is still breathing.

I am not theorizing that this was Charlie's plan. If it were, he'd have let Parson keep talking to Stanley, most likely. Now that Charlie's involvement is out in the open, he might consider swarming the place and snagging the hammer though.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Vorteks » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Panel 5 (where Stanley is squeeling "Eeeeeee!" while being carried up the stairs and is looking very much like a kid playing super hero with his dad) is my new favorite Erfworld panel ever.
Vorteks

Postby Manic Oppressive » Mon May 13, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm working 12 hour night shifts, it's finals week, I've gotten less than three hours of sleep in the past two days, and I've got a whole ton of other problems.

So thank you Rob. Thank you for panel 5. Thank you so damn much.
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Postby Suitesned » Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Charlie sets himself up with win-win conditions. He may not get ride of Parson, but consider this: GK's capital changes, Parson exits through the portal to get Sizemore, but Charlie swoops in conquering the new GK capital, thus emptying GK's treasury and filling his. I believe the treasury is where the capital is located, right? Luckily, decrypt have no upkeep and Stanly can just make GK the capital again, but he won't be happy about the money lost. Hopefully there are more gems to mine.

Or better yet.Parson leaves and Transylvito conquers it with a bat.
Last edited by Suitesned on Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suitesned

Postby drachefly » Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Okay, nice to see.

I was about to admit that Stanley can't move side-to-side when it was pointed out that the purple could have just been to blow out the window.

Ai-ai-ai. Looks like that'll go on.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes Tool, climbing stairs makes you a hero.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby YRM_DM » Mon May 13, 2013 1:51 pm

First, thanks Rob for some series of pages where stuff gets resolved. Web comics, even without family and health issues, move at such a slow pace compared to something that is already done and in front of you, that the cliffhangers can become more painful than they'd be just writing a normal book.

Here's how this stuff could go wrong from here:

1 - The obvious is that there's still a Royal Alliance out there that can hit Gobwin Knob at it's new and vulnerable capital of Space Rock. Transylvito, FAQ, Jetstone's remaining force, etc. This goes with the story and we don't always need there to be a twist for conflict to continue. This also answers the question "What happens if Jack is Decrypted?" which makes for interesting story telling.

2 - If Wanda and Sizemore and Maggie panic because of the communication cutoff and decide to go through the Spacerock Portal anyway, they'll all be captured by Tramenis. They'd appear in Jetstone's NEW capital and not know why.

3 - Sizemore & Company will reach Parson automatically if Stanely switches the capital as they are walking back to the portal, but before Stanely switches it... but I could see one of Charlie's caster buddies tossing Sizemore through before the switch is complete, and then he can't reach Parson.

I'm glad if there's some movement on Stanley's character though. This comic felt good and it's really nice to have that on a long Monday.
YRM_DM

Postby TheMutant » Mon May 13, 2013 1:55 pm

The Tool shows everyone how getting from point A to point B is done.

Parson should take lessons. :P

Great page. Come on Stanley, don't fail us now (and Parson, don't jump the gun)! My hilarity will be unbridled if Charlie's careful set-up to get rid of Parson is undone by the great and glorious Tool.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

YRM_DM wrote:2 - If Wanda and Sizemore and Maggie panic because of the communication cutoff and decide to go through the Spacerock Portal anyway, they'll all be captured by Tramenis. They'd appear in Jetstone's NEW capital and not know why.

3 - Sizemore & Company will reach Parson automatically if Stanely switches the capital as they are walking back to the portal, but before Stanely switches it... but I could see one of Charlie's caster buddies tossing Sizemore through before the switch is complete, and then he can't reach Parson.

You mean like some sort of gaff when everyone is heading for the exits? If the portal signamancy doesn't catch up with the changed locations immediately, this oculd send the casters all to Jetstone's new capitol, isolate Stanley and isolate Parson. Parson has next to nothing for defense, so the treasury could easily be taken, then a strategic strike on the now vulnerable Stanley could end GK as a Side. Jillian would not need much coaxing to take her armada of megalogwiffs to take down Stanley.
bladestorm

Postby coyotenose » Mon May 13, 2013 2:10 pm

This and the last text update are just so beautiful in completely different ways, despite being about the exact same subject.

And Stanley got carried AND used the 'Hammer. Woot! So much for our false dichotomies.

He enjoyed that way too much. :P
coyotenose

Postby fjolnir » Mon May 13, 2013 2:19 pm

The funny part is they both cover a character gaining serious development, though in this update in a slightly unserious way
fjolnir

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions