Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Postby drachefly » Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 pm

0beron wrote:As long as nobody else in the Spacerock hex contacts Stanely, his decision to change the capital should happen in time.

Charlie could be watching.
drachefly

Postby Doctor Foreman » Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 am

Lipkin wrote:
0beron wrote:Timey-whimey stuff in Erfworld is still a bit hard to understand, because it's been mostly explained based on Parson's understanding of it, and he's noted that it doesn't make much sense to him.
But the one thing I have drawn from it is this. When dealing with time between different hexes, duration doesn't matter, only order. So in theory, I think Stanley has all the time in the world to make this decision. As long as nobody else in the Spacerock hex contacts Stanely, his decision to change the capital should happen in time.

Unless stating that he only had 2 minutes caused that to be true for Stanley, Dr. Who style.

It's funny you should say that. The Pyramids of Mars also features a climactic race against time to move a portal taking advantage of differing time zones. In this case Parson would be Sutekh, the alien and apocalyptic threat to the known universe...sort of fits, right?
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Oberon » Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 pm

multilis wrote:In Book 1 it was unclear if portals were guarded, Parson was shown with many mages ready to shoot him.
Yes and no. We don't know what kind of time passed in the MK to bring the mages out to threaten Parson.
multilis wrote:In Book 2 we have scene where portals do not appear to be guarded which reduces chance of portal conspiracy, but...
Indeed. Will you assume that portals are always guarded when we've seen then not guarded? Will you assume that there is some kind of portal guardian force which kills all interlopers into the MK who are not casters, when there is no logical reason as to why such a force should exist?
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby multilis » Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Oberon wrote:
multilis wrote:In Book 1 it was unclear if portals were guarded, Parson was shown with many mages ready to shoot him.
Yes and no. We don't know what kind of time passed in the MK to bring the mages out to threaten Parson.
multilis wrote:In Book 2 we have scene where portals do not appear to be guarded which reduces chance of portal conspiracy, but...
Indeed. Will you assume that portals are always guarded when we've seen then not guarded? Will you assume that there is some kind of portal guardian force which kills all interlopers into the MK who are not casters, when there is no logical reason as to why such a force should exist?

"Yes and no. We don't know what kind of time passed" - Thus I said unclear.

"Will you assume that portals are always guarded" I am not assuming anything, just saying what is still a chance (with help of predictomacers). The chance has reduced with book 2.

"when there is no logical reason as to why such a force should exist?" I think you are assuming here on no logical reason. If portals allowed non-mages to go through then big risk of warzone and no sanctuary for neutral mages. Thus a myth to keep others out may make sense and such a myth would need protection.
multilis

Postby Fjord » Sun May 19, 2013 3:56 pm

multilis wrote:
Oberon wrote:

"Yes and no. We don't know what kind of time passed" - Thus I said unclear.

"Will you assume that portals are always guarded" I am not assuming anything, just saying what is still a chance (with help of predictomacers). The chance has reduced with book 2.

"when there is no logical reason as to why such a force should exist?" I think you are assuming here on no logical reason. If portals allowed non-mages to go through then big risk of warzone and no sanctuary for neutral mages. Thus a myth to keep others out may make sense and such a myth would need protection.

Except that Queen Bea killed herself by stepping into the portal in a summer update.
It is described as the side ending immediately after she touches the portal.
That makes it extremely unlikely your hypothesis is correct.
Fjord

Previous

Return to Reactions