Book 2 – Page 108

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 108

Postby StriatedMetrist » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

Long time reader/lurker sounding off.

Let's say Parson finds out he really is a caster. Now, there is some evidence pointing towards his discipline being signamancy (Janis in Book 1, Parson's use of signs in the summer updates), which doesn't seem to lend itself to putting out a blazing inferno.

What if, however, it could be used to inform and coerce Stanley into changing the capital? Changing both Stanley's signamancy and the signamancy of his surroundings to show him the need to do this?
StriatedMetrist

Postby Keldaria » Wed May 01, 2013 10:11 am

Ok, so we've heard tons of mass speculation about some fairly crazy survival plans here.. so what the heck let me try for the crazy award too.

Parson dies in the inferno due to the tools stubbornness.. wait I'm going somewhere with this...

That in effect causes wanda to flip out at the tool and go barbarian along with all of her decrypted units which seem to bear her insignia and logically would be loyal to her not the tool. They finish off the last remaining dwagon or 2 capturing the city (now a capital again) for themselves allowing wanda to walk into the inferno with sizemoore (who also goes barbarian) putting out the flames and decrypting Parson and Jack (and the remaining corpses from the capital fight).. exofacto, new side, with a decrypted 0 Upkeep warlord of awesomeness and foolamancer (who can hopefully still cast). Thus a new struggle begins, as none of the royal sides like wanda or parson, the tool would also hate them for their abandonment, and they would have every reason to not work with charlie ether. Leaving their only possible "Ally" be queen jillian who is technically in a very similar boat with the new side. This IMO is a much more likely scenario for a new side to begin since wanda is infact a Royal (like jillian) She has units on-site for the capital capture and we know that she trust Parson more than the tool.

Let us also not forget the massive, mostly decrypted army sitting outside the capital a few hex's away that would also likely turn. Thats a brilliant start for a new side IMO.
Keldaria

Postby Aster Azul » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

Lipkin wrote:New theory. The scroll summons the Arkenshoes, and must be cast by or on Parson, because it has to use Parson to tap into Stupidworld. Once the shoes are summoned, if Parson attuned, he'd have unlimited move.

THIS!
Like our new game, King's Ascent!
https://www.facebook.com/KingsAscent
Aster Azul

Postby Morni » Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 am

Keldaria wrote:Ok, so we've heard tons of mass speculation about some fairly crazy survival plans here.. so what the heck let me try for the crazy award too.

Parson dies in the inferno due to the tools stubbornness.. wait I'm going somewhere with this...

That in effect causes wanda to flip out at the tool and go barbarian along with all of her decrypted units which seem to bear her insignia and logically would be loyal to her not the tool. They finish off the last remaining dwagon or 2 capturing the city (now a capital again) for themselves allowing wanda to walk into the inferno with sizemoore (who also goes barbarian) putting out the flames and decrypting Parson and Jack (and the remaining corpses from the capital fight).. exofacto, new side, with a decrypted 0 Upkeep warlord of awesomeness and foolamancer (who can hopefully still cast). Thus a new struggle begins, as none of the royal sides like wanda or parson, the tool would also hate them for their abandonment, and they would have every reason to not work with charlie ether. Leaving their only possible "Ally" be queen jillian who is technically in a very similar boat with the new side. This IMO is a much more likely scenario for a new side to begin since wanda is infact a Royal (like jillian) She has units on-site for the capital capture and we know that she trust Parson more than the tool.

Let us also not forget the massive, mostly decrypted army sitting outside the capital a few hex's away that would also likely turn. Thats a brilliant start for a new side IMO.

Which would make GK to ally with Charlie to fight Wanda/Parson.
Morni

Postby Cnor » Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 am

Morni wrote:Which would make GK to ally with Charlie to fight Wanda/Parson.

Er... You're forgetting that Stanley has been stated to hate Charlie so much he will not, ever, ally with him, I take it?
Cnor

Postby kiyote » Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 am

Charlie is not the Mary Sue of the story. He's spent the last who-knows-how-many turns creating himself an unassailable position as a mercenary, but he knows first hand how the summoning spell works to take out a unit, because he's done it before! He also knows where the summoned unit is from, which can be why he's sympathetic to just getting rid of Parson, instead of straight up killing him, but he's obviously not above killing him if he has to.

CharlsNCharge: Either GTFO or DIAF, your choice.

Even in an acronym, Charlie just used the word "die"...
kiyote
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby frei » Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 am

I've only seen one option proposed here apart from the ones that Charlie mentioned that is both (a) workable within the rules that we know and (b) not a totally lame (summoning the Arkenshoes? discovering that he can use hippiemancie that can calm fires? being rescued by someone else? ew). It is: for Parson to make himself a fugitive somehow. But it kinda looks like at this point the fire has trapped him in the portal room, so I'm not sure how much that would help.

I'm really pulling for some brilliant lateral thinking here! I really feel like Parson/Rob is about to pull off something awesome.
frei

Postby Oberon » Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Aquillion wrote:Parson's plan is to open the portal and go through and leave those decrypted guys to die in the fire.

I wonder how they feel about that? I mean, it must be pretty obvious at this point that his plan involved the portal, which none of them could use even if it were open.
They don't feel anything about that, since that isn't Parson's plan. He started to tell Stanley that he needed Sizemore. He didn't say anything about leaving Spacerock. All units are popped with knowledge of the rules, they should know that Sizemore can stop the inferno.

mroozee wrote:The boldest thing the author could do at this point in the story would be to let Parson die.

First and foremost, it would be shocking
A lot of good authors use the anyone can die trope. Most of them don't kill off the protagonist. Take Weber's Honor Harrington series: Lots of main characters die off over the course of the (to date, more pending) 12 books in the series. This makes sense as it is a wartime based series of books, and people die in war. But Honor hasn't died. Similarly, when your protagonist's name is an actual anagram of 'a protagonist', you can be fairly sure that others may die around him (Misty, Bogroll, Jack, others) but he will survive.

kiyote wrote:Charlie is not the Mary Sue of the story. He's spent the last who-knows-how-many turns creating himself an unassailable position as a mercenary, [...]
Putting time into one or several master plans doesn't do anything to counter the fact that Charlie constantly pulls new powers and abilities out of his ass any time he needs them. It is a tiresome plot device, at best.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby effataigus » Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 am

Haha... that update really did read like a GM response to the last couple of threads.

We now know that Parson is considering starting his own side (despite any loyalty magic). This means that all he has to do with his units is harvest them, kill them, send them into the airspace, or (best of all) send them "home" with the scroll.

For extra lulz, "home" might even be Jetstone for the infantry. Antium and those pikers might be enough to conquer Jetstone before Tram's column gets there, if Slately really did move all of his forces to Spacerock.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby SteveMB » Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 am

kiyote wrote:Even in an acronym, Charlie just used the word "die"...

He's already used the word "kill"....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Cnor » Wed May 01, 2013 11:33 am

"Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total."

Whaaaat? Did you do that? :?
Cnor

Postby effataigus » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

SteveMB wrote:
kiyote wrote:Even in an acronym, Charlie just used the word "die"...

He's already used the word "kill"....

Aye, but I don't believe he had yet used the f word (in an acronym or otherwise).

Just my signature, Cnor :D
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Cnor » Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

*Cnor feels silly now*

In any case, that aside, does anyone have thoughts on the viability of my 'multi-link long-distance-casting' plan other than "being rescued by someone else? ew)."? I'm curious to see what those who are more familiar with the rules and such have to say about it...
Cnor

Postby Wayson » Wed May 01, 2013 11:52 am

Here's a thought that hasn't been suggested by anyone yet, that I can tell. Let me lay out the reasoning first, so I don't look like a lunatic.

We know casters can perform magic outside of their discipline, without scrolls. We've seen Wanda doing Hat Magic in Inner Peace, making a Snow Golem, and probably other things that I've forgotten.

We know that Charlie apparently thinks Parson is a caster of some sort. This is supported by Parson's ability to pass through portals.

Janis's evaluation of Parson as a Hippiemancer is unreliable and quite probably a lie. We know that no one can see Parson's stats, so no one knows what he is or what abilities he has. She may have called him one to defuse the situation, but there is no way she could have known at a glance.

Therefore...

Is it possible that Parson's way out of this is to attempt to cast a Dirtamancy spell to put out the Inferno?

----

However he gets out of his present situation (and Marie's prediction in the MK indicates that he does survive), we can expect two things to follow. One, he's coming for Charlie, with a grudge the size of Manhattan. Charlie's actions are responsible for Jack's dying and Parson's almost getting toasted. Two, his relationship with Stanley is going to be improved or destroyed, depending on whether or not Stanley helps him or leaves him to burn.
Wayson

Postby LordBiscuit » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

Cnor wrote:*Cnor feels silly now*

In any case, that aside, does anyone have thoughts on the viability of my 'multi-link long-distance-casting' plan other than "being rescued by someone else? ew)."? I'm curious to see what those who are more familiar with the rules and such have to say about it...

The long distance link may or may not be a function of the Arkendish. Also, we only ever saw it done with two casters (Vanna and Charlie). Highly unlikely to happen here IMHO.
Edit: spelling.
LordBiscuit
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 pm

If Parson can cast, he as a lot of options to get out of this.

Open a portal directly to GK. I haven't noticed any rules yet that state two cities owned by the same Side cannot be linked by a portal.

"Protection from Fire" spell.

Maybe casters have an innate ability to identify the magicks within magickal items, so he could determine if anything he was decked out in had the capacity to stop the inferno or protect him from fire.

Transport spell on Sizemore to teleport him directly to Parson.

Concoct a new spell that refreshes Move.

"Counter spell" on Kingworld.

Cast an accelerated healing spell that heals the damage faster than the inferno can cause it.

Transmute the current hex to Ash before the inferno can do it.

Even if he cannot cast, he still has options aside from the scroll. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from TGMtTA isn't monitoring him now. Maggie may be out of/low on juice, but Isaac should still have plenty. If anyone can block out Charlie's hack attempts, it would be Isaac, or Isaac linked to another GMtTA. And someone in the MK should be able to replenish juice on Maggie if need be.

Or he can take a huge gamble that since he is not an erfworld unit in many aspects, the Inferno won't harm him. If he has no hits, the fire cannot reduce them to 0.

If Sizemore can cast at a distance, he may be able to alter the hex type of Spacerock down to Ash level before the inferno can do so. "The Inferno keeps bruning things until the hex is Ash terrain type." "Okay, we'll make the terrain type Ash." Inferno stops. It would be kinda cool if the Inferno just sorta stopped in place, and could be picked up and moved.
bladestorm

Postby name lips » Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 pm

OK.

This is the moment for Parson's "Big Reveal." His weird, out-of-the-box plan that ends Book 2. Right?

In Book 1, Parson exploited the caster-linking rule we learned about earlier in the book in a creative "lateral-thinking" way.

What have we learned about in Book 2? I'm guessing the solution won't include prequel material, and may or may not include text update material. (I don't know if Rob is considering the text updates part of the official story or not.)

In the spirit of satisfying storytelling, I hope the solution to this situation involves:

1) Parson thinking his way out, lateral-thinking style -- borderline cheating -- using a mechanic we learned about in Book 2.
2) No other people randomly arriving to save him, deux-ex machina style (the return of Jillian, for instance). If people do show up, I should be because he arranges for their arrival somehow.
3) Parson NOT taking either of Charlies' two options (die in the fire or use the scroll) unless it's part of a lateral-thinking plan.
name lips

Postby mroozee » Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Since lots of people have suggested that Parson could reduce himself to a light unit, jump on a dragon and fly up to avoid the inferno, why couldn't he just use Slately's jetpack to the same effect?
mroozee

Postby name lips » Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 pm

mroozee wrote:Since lots of people have suggested that Parson could reduce himself to a light unit, jump on a dragon and fly up to avoid the inferno, why couldn't he just use Slately's jetpack to the same effect?

The only jetpack I remember was strapped to an unconscious Cubbins so he could escape. Slately was flying on a unipegitaur.

The text updates did list several of Ace's inventions on a table in the Tower, but those are probably unreachable at the moment.

It would seem that Parson is trapped in the Portal Room, so any solution he comes up with will have to involve only what is in that room.
name lips

Postby (name here) » Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Since GK now offically holds the city, they can move between zones off-turn. It may be possible to exploit that if he can get out of the portal room.
(name here)

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions