Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby joosy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Haven't we seen ruby/red slippers somewhere before?



Only in a movie adaptation that thought the original silver slippers from the book too bland.
joosy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby vintermann » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 am

0beron wrote:I just read this again and noticed something interesting. Olive said "Put you out of my misery" meaning she hoped Jillian would croak Wanda...but if that's the case why hasn't she croaked Wanda herself?


The obvious guess here would be that although Olive can be pretty nasty, she's still a Hippiemancer and has issues with croaking and giving orders to croak.
User avatar
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 5:01 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby Sieggy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 am

joosy wrote:Only in a movie adaptation that thought the original silver slippers from the book too bland.


They felt them too bland, and also made a conscious decision to avoid the political parable that was the subtext to the Wizard of Oz.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
User avatar
Sieggy
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: SW Florida

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby Whispri » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 am

vintermann wrote:The obvious guess here would be that although Olive can be pretty nasty, she's still a Hippiemancer and has issues with croaking and giving orders to croak.

She croaked Tommy after having spent the night shagging him. There's a case to be made for saying she was just doing her job, but qualms I'm just not seeing.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby bladestorm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Whispri wrote:
vintermann wrote:The obvious guess here would be that although Olive can be pretty nasty, she's still a Hippiemancer and has issues with croaking and giving orders to croak.

She croaked Tommy after having spent the night shagging him. There's a case to be made for saying she was just doing her job, but qualms I'm just not seeing.

That's an old argument about DoT -- Did she kill him, or did the poison? There was no combat and no aggression, so how does the game track who was responsible for the croaking? Did she gain any XP from the act as she would have if she had plunged a dagger through his heart to croak him, or did Tommy just fall over croaked? It could be a technicality that if she doesn't become involved in combat, then it doesn't count as her croaking the victim of her poison. Although, if it did count, and she got full xp for the croaking, that could help explain why she is level 12 -- all those poisoned rations traps across the empire. How many wandering barbarians have fallen victim to those things over the turns?

Still, if it were a technicality, that would be the way for a peaceful Hippiemancer to get around the system and have units that have outlived their usefulness no longer be a burden to the Side. If Units Croaked is tracked, Olive count be sitting there blithely smiling with a 0 in that column and professing to maintain peace with her powers. That just pushes her further into evil boop mode.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby Salem » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Whispri wrote:
vintermann wrote:The obvious guess here would be that although Olive can be pretty nasty, she's still a Hippiemancer and has issues with croaking and giving orders to croak.

She croaked Tommy after having spent the night shagging him. There's a case to be made for saying she was just doing her job, but qualms I'm just not seeing.

That's an old argument about DoT -- Did she kill him, or did the poison? There was no combat and no aggression, so how does the game track who was responsible for the croaking? Did she gain any XP from the act as she would have if she had plunged a dagger through his heart to croak him, or did Tommy just fall over croaked? It could be a technicality that if she doesn't become involved in combat, then it doesn't count as her croaking the victim of her poison. Although, if it did count, and she got full xp for the croaking, that could help explain why she is level 12 -- all those poisoned rations traps across the empire. How many wandering barbarians have fallen victim to those things over the turns?

Still, if it were a technicality, that would be the way for a peaceful Hippiemancer to get around the system and have units that have outlived their usefulness no longer be a burden to the Side. If Units Croaked is tracked, Olive count be sitting there blithely smiling with a 0 in that column and professing to maintain peace with her powers. That just pushes her further into evil boop mode.


Disbanding is looked at like croaking, even though it's simply not paying for no longer useful units. If she tried to argue it didn't count it would be nothing more than rationalizing and desperation from someone who knows they're wrong or is quite insane. It would be a philosophy train wreck.

Whether the game tracks it as a kill in part or in full, we're talking about moral responsibility as if she's "okay" with killing. She seems to be more than okay with killing though she may find some methods distasteful. Like a serial killer who wants to preserve the bodies in perfect condition. She may be able to convince herself that it isn't croaking someone but it IS. Which means she's okay with it by means of rationalization and she may not be okay with all forms of croaking.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests