Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 043

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 043

Postby balder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 am

http://www.erfworld.com/2012/09/inner-p ... isode-043/ is up.

EDIT: I had to retconjure the image, because I had accidentally posted an earlier version which did not have the revision to make the uncroaked units look more decayed.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 043

Postby Whispri » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:40 am

It is good that she realised the importance of such memorials.

Interesting that Wanda seems to know about Angels. I'd thought the Archons were the closest equivalent.

If Wanda did go through something like this, why? What happened to the idea of being poison?

Just an odd thought, but while I'm sure I remember future era Wanda speaking of such things as the Titans having a plan, has it ever been confirmed that she actually worships them?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby chefsotero » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:02 am

I must say. the garden arch is taking aover 5 updates over a month, and still not done. The longest in Inner Peace with very little happening. And still its absolutely great.

Cheers for your craftmanship with words mr Balder.

And is Wanda ploting to use FAQ to be her poison? Maybe she has her garden to find a suitable ally, or pawn, to use against Haffaton.
English is not my mother language and thinking is not one of my favorite activities, so fell free to disregard anything writen above.
chefsotero

Postby Azukar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 am

Okay, so:

1. I'm guessing Wanda's Power Glove (it's so bad!) cast a Suggestion spell on Jillian the night she talked about Marika. Especially if she "told more than she knew" - seems to mirror her capture at the start of tBfGK.

2. I know it's probably impossible, but I so hope this garden is still standing in Parson's time, and that he and Wanda find it.

3. Wanda and/or Jillian is going to have to have at least a few memories wiped between now and the time of the present comics.

4. At first, I thought the angel on the headstone was a Weeping Angel. Would suit Wanda perfectly, in her current ubercreepy state.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby King Mir » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

I just realized: this is why Wanda's sigil is a skull with a flower. It's in memory of this place!
King Mir

Postby Whispri » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 am

It is interesting to see that Erfworld has Sergeants.

chefsotero wrote:And is Wanda ploting to use FAQ to be her poison? Maybe she has her garden to find a suitable ally, or pawn, to use against Haffaton.

The problem with that idea is that Wanda has a reason to do what she does and that reason is: Fate wills it. As she's fated to grind Faq into dust, it'd be a hard sell. For both parties.

Azukar wrote:1. I'm guessing Wanda's Power Glove (it's so bad!) cast a Suggestion spell on Jillian the night she talked about Marika. Especially if she "told more than she knew" - seems to mirror her capture at the start of tBfGK.

2. I know it's probably impossible, but I so hope this garden is still standing in Parson's time, and that he and Wanda find it.

3. Wanda and/or Jillian is going to have to have at least a few memories wiped between now and the time of the present comics.

4. At first, I thought the angel on the headstone was a Weeping Angel. Would suit Wanda perfectly, in her current ubercreepy state.

I don't believe that is so, she just meant that what Jillian has said revealed more than she thought. For example, Wanda knew that Marika's title was 'Countess' and Jillian didn't deny informing her as much, that alone revealed that Faq is a Kingdom and Jillian a Princess.

I also hope the garden is standing, there is hope, stones do tend to last. Also, Wanda's moving in and out of this Graveyard to fight for Haffaton every few Turns and taking soldiers with her. That to me, suggests 'pocket dimension'.

That may well be the case, as far as Jillian's concerned it seems to border on 'likely'.

She's not creepy, she's just being 'the crone' after being 'the maiden' at Goodminton. Gobwin Knob era Wanda is clearly in the lengthy period 'twixt 'the maiden' and 'the mother' that occurs when girls listen to Nanny Ogg, but we may see her as 'the mother' if she founds her own Side.

King Mir wrote:I just realized: this is why Wanda's sigil is a skull with a flower. It's in memory of this place!

It's almost exactly the same as the Haffaton livery her Uncroaked are wearing in this update, the only change is the placement of flowers. If it isn't a tribute to Haffaton, it's as close as makes no difference.
Whispri

Postby Azukar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:59 am

Whispri wrote:She's not creepy, she's just being 'the crone' after being 'the maiden' at Goodminton. Gobwin Knob era Wanda is clearly in the lengthy period 'twixt 'the maiden' and 'the mother' that occurs when girls listen to Nanny Ogg, but we may see her as 'the mother' if she founds her own Side.

She's creepy.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby vintermann » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:03 am

A wealth of puns in this episode, I'd appreciate some help figuring them out.

- Blitzkrieg Bop is a Ramones song
- Arrow Sparrow is the weapon of some anime character?
- Huge Ackman? A meme about an actor named Hugh Jackman, but I don't get much context.
- Loganclaw is a reference to Wolverine, or possibly a reference to a Diablo weapon that is a reference to Wolverine? Ah, Hugh Jackman was a guy who played Wolverine in a film.
- Willie Nilly is obvious.
- Nolens Volens is the same expression in latin, it apparently means "willingly or not" (hmmmm)
- "a barbarian called Pundarr" is a pun on Thundarr the barbarian, but "Lord Vitaly Important"? And what's the significance of him being from Frenemy? (Besides showing that Haffaton probably defeated this side)
- Private Idaho, urban dictionary explains it's an expression related to a 1980 dance song of some sort.
- Sergeant Pepper, the one with the Lonely Hearts Club Band, presumably. Any relation to Jojo?
- Sergeant Stripes - a TV show about a cat policeman?
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 am

vintermann wrote:- Private Idaho, urban dictionary explains it's an expression related to a 1980 dance song of some sort.

The Dune series written by Frank Herbert features a supporting character named Duncan Idaho, who is killed during a war and later "regrown" using genetic technology and implanted with hypnotic triggers to turn him into an enemy against the noble house he formerly served. Seems like a fair analogy to uncroaking (and foreshadowing to Decryption).
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby derfy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 am

Private Idaho = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102494/
Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine in the latest X-Men movies.
derfy
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 am

Hmmm... perhaps Jillian's description of her submissive role with Marika gave Wanda the idea to use sex as a weapon (or maybe confirmed that an existing plan along that line had a good chance of success). If that leads Jillian to reveal things that convince Wanda that Jillian offers a good opportunity to turn against Haffaton, that might explain why she started developing an emotional bond.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 am

vintermann wrote:...but "Lord Vitaly Important"? And what's the significance of him being from Frenemy? (Besides showing that Haffaton probably defeated this side)

I guess he was vitally important to Frenemy.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mizzle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 am

vintermann wrote:A wealth of puns in this episode, I'd appreciate some help figuring them out.

Marika Neagle = American Eagle
How could you not love Marika? :roll:
Mizzle

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

Implication from the story: Marika (and Adderall?) have the flying special, but don't have wings. So how do they fly? Do they float around "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" style?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

Same way Transylvito vampires fly, they just float.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am

Right, I just assumed that with the bird names and the gwifens, that Faq sometimes popped bird people or something. I was just surprised is all.

Also they can't use Duncan Idaho yet, because they will need that for an Idaho potato gag if the [s]weirding way[/s] Weirdamancy is used to lift parson. -.-

lulwat? There is no [s]Strike through[/s] code here?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Also they can't use Duncan Idaho yet

Well if you want to nit-pick, they've already referenced him slightly with Duncan Scone too haha, so apparently he is the gift that keeps on giving lol.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 pm

So, anyone mind explaining me how subordinate units starting to refuse orders and mess up their combat formations out of personal envy and lover's quarrels doesn't qualify for "auto-disband if you try to go against your side"?

Anyway, it's interesting that, despite what Maggie said quite long ago, you can't just order one of your subordinate units to sleep with you whenever you please, and indeed it can have dire consequences if you don't know how to manage your love affairs.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby bladestorm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Implication from the story: Marika (and Adderall?) have the flying special, but don't have wings. So how do they fly? Do they float around "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" style?

I just assumed she flew in to battle the same way Jillian did... on a gwiffon.

The logical deductions in this update nearly matched the popculture references. By Jillian stating that she had a father implied that she was an heir, since other units simply pop on a Side, without parents. The only unit type that could even use the term 'father' would have to be an heir. Up until Stanley, for all that we know, the only heir designates have been royals. So if Faq had royals and was a side unto its own, it would be a Kingdom.

Most of the bad behavior Jillian cited in Marika could also be see in the behavior Jillian exhibited towards Ansom. Insubordination, charging into battles that she was order to withdraw from (or not engage in, such as all of the attacks of opportunity on her first scouting mission in tBfGK), grumbles and near acts of rebellion from other warlord (hello Webinar), a souped-up and looped-up headstrong warrior woman.
bladestorm

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm

bladestorm wrote:By Jillian stating that she had a father implied that she was an heir, since other units simply pop on a Side, without parents.

Overlord Firebaugh was father to Wanda and Tommy, despite neither being popped as an heir. So I'm still at a loss as to how Wanda knew. Unless of course she only guessed it. We know Royals are better somehow, that they perhaps have better stats than normal for her level. So with the combination of seeing Jillian's good stats combined with the mention of a father, Wanda made a good guess and got that guess confirmed by gauging Jillian's reaction.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions