Summer Updates - 042

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby quindraco » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am

Stability requires a minimum of three dwagons, in a triangle formation, say. That removes all of the degrees of freedom from the chariot, although up-and-down will be an issue dependong on factors like tautness of the rope. That would make for an uncomfortable ride more than anything else. I wonder if Erfworld has falling damage?

This IS Erfworld, so I'd go with 6 dwagons, one per hextant. Might as well travel in style, plus that way I can lose dwagons and remain aloft.

Only thing faster would be hat magic, but there's no hat magician handy. :(
--
QuinDraco
User avatar
quindraco
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby Nebulious » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 pm

quindraco wrote:I wonder if Erfworld has falling damage?


Why don't we ask Ansom?
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
User avatar
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby BCCroaker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:10 pm

For transporting Parson there are a number of untried possibilities. A megalogwiff (Jillian "missed the power") or a carpet. Of course, since he's too heavy for a dwagon at the moment, fat boy could go on a diet.
I guess sometime there is going to be a quest for the fourth known arkentool (there could be others). But that might be book 3 or 4.
Somebody said Stanley is now being kind to Ansom. No he's not - he's jerking around his once mighty enemy for laughs. I might be that petty myself in the same circumstances.
Last edited by BCCroaker on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm

joosy wrote:(i.e.: it will work if the storyteller wants it to. If it defies some physics or something then they'll just 'hang a lantern' on it and explain it away with magic.)


However, if it is new, then it doesn't get a plot based shield.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby badninja » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:29 pm

That is scary, the next major target after they finish here is Jetstone. My question is why Ansom is not getting Parson's advise, if Wanda is he should to. I feel that Book 2 may be after the fall of Jetstone with those other countries mentioned by Jillian being the the "villains".
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am
Location: Tatooine

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby joosy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

badninja wrote:My question is why Ansom is not getting Parson's advise, if Wanda is he should to

Ansom prefers to come up with his own plans and does not consult Parson (Lord Hamster to Ansom) on them.
I believe its a matter of Ansom's pride and his jealousy of Wanda.
Ansom's ego still has Ansom as the master strategist and Wanda should be going to him or at least trusting him without running everything by Parson. He is hurt that the object of his affection does not return the attention nor does she appear to value him for what skills he does have.
He justifies his jealousy and wounded pride by drawing attention to the fact that Parson may not even believe in the Titans at all.
joosy
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:03 pm

raphfrk wrote:However, when attacking, she gets to decide who to attack. When defending, the enemy will likely decide to attack as a massive force (especially, when the nature of the pliers is discovered.)

When attacking, she can hit weak cities and stacks and then when she has a massive force, can attacking the well defended cities.

The decryption of the pliers looks like a spell-like ability. Casters can cast on their turn, and also when getting attacked.
If Wanda gets attacked, I suspect that there's a very strong chance that she can decrypt during the attack.
Decryption looks fairly effortless, so she may be able to replenish her losses on-the-fly when swarmed by an overwhelming but much weaker opponent, and convert the cannon fodder to more powerful decrypted versions.

As such, it's critical for any side fighting Wanda to eliminate or incapacitate her first, regardless whether they are attacking or defending. Shockamancy would be the best bet, I suspect.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby kreszantas » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:36 pm

joosy wrote:
badninja wrote:My question is why Ansom is not getting Parson's advise, if Wanda is he should to

Ansom prefers to come up with his own plans and does not consult Parson (Lord Hamster to Ansom) on them.
I believe its a matter of Ansom's pride and his jealousy of Wanda.
Ansom's ego still has Ansom as the master strategist and Wanda should be going to him or at least trusting him without running everything by Parson. He is hurt that the object of his affection does not return the attention nor does she appear to value him for what skills he does have.
He justifies his jealousy and wounded pride by drawing attention to the fact that Parson may not even believe in the Titans at all.


I think it is simplier than this regarding Ansom and Parson. Ansom outranks Parson being Chief Warlord. Parson LET his rank go not wanting to do it any longer, thus it makes it part of the 'plotline' and lastly Wanda is involved in multiple triangles but to examine things in a different way almost all things work in threes. The Law of Three is always built on that principle. There are entire gaming systems built on that law.
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
User avatar
kreszantas
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby LordDarksea » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 pm

quindraco wrote:Stability requires a minimum of three dwagons, in a triangle formation, say. That removes all of the degrees of freedom from the chariot, although up-and-down will be an issue dependong on factors like tautness of the rope. That would make for an uncomfortable ride more than anything else. I wonder if Erfworld has falling damage?

This IS Erfworld, so I'd go with 6 dwagons, one per hextant. Might as well travel in style, plus that way I can lose dwagons and remain aloft.

Only thing faster would be hat magic, but there's no hat magician handy. :(


So, I'm just wondering what happens when dragon one [of however many we like] crosses the hex boundary while the chariot and the other dragons are still in the preceding hex. would they all count as one super unit, so to speak, because of being tied to the chariot (seeming more like a litter or 'Bath chair' in my head at the moment), or would they be separate units tied together? if the latter, i feel that erf-physics (fysics?)might cripple it somehow.

Regarding the problem with the dangling chariot, could try a sleigh... it works for St. Nicholas ;)
LordDarksea
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby HailGreen28 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Gez wrote:
HailGreen28 wrote:1. The Heir Issue: Jetstone has a new Chief Warlord. But does Slately have an heir? What if Ansom is that heir? Could Ansom literally take control of ALL Jetstone if he croaks Slately soon?

Croaking? Why not capturing? It would seem logical that heirloom and positions of command are lost when croaked, and not restored when uncroaked/decrypted. For a standard unit, that's not a problem since they have no title. But capture Slately and don't croak him, and you get control over all the Jetstone forces.
You still need to be able to control or convert the prisoner, to control his units.

Wanda had to use psychology, magic, and some "personal interaction" to get any info from Jillian, even after capture.

With decrypyt, Loyalty of the former enemy isn't an issue.

But like I said, judging from Ansom's livery, it's unknown if a decrypted unit like Ansom retains its rank within the enemy hierarchy.
HailGreen28
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 pm

the chariot probably wouldn't work

parson could not mount banana, and he couldn't walk through the hex barrier.

so the way i see a "chariot" working is two dwagons flying off, trailing parson's glorious contraption.

they pass through the barrier

the chariot passes through the barrier

parson does not

end of book 2 and erfworld
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby jnrhayz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:04 pm

I have a few questions that come to mind from this update:

1. Could they build "carriers" that the dragons could "carry" that are filled with troops and invade Jetstone's Capital in 1 turn?

2. If Slately was decrypted and then made warlord and had control of production, could he pop a royal heir for Stanley?

3. Could Ansom's duty cause him to switch sides because he believes Parson is evil?

4. Are we ever going to see Parson eating marbits for breakfast or snacking on a gwiffon? (in Erfworld of course)

5. Would I want to see Parson do that?
jnrhayz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:49 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby BCCroaker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:16 pm

moose o death wrote:the chariot probably wouldn't work

parson could not mount banana, and he couldn't walk through the hex barrier.

so the way i see a "chariot" working is two dwagons flying off, trailing parson's glorious contraption.

they pass through the barrier

the chariot passes through the barrier

parson does not

end of book 2 and erfworld

I think the transport ideas are based on the thought that Parson would't be a garrison unit any more. Still a funny thought though.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:22 pm

BCCroaker wrote:For transporting Parson there are a number of untried possibilities. A megalogwiff (Jillian "missed the power") or a carpet.


I doubt a megalogwiff would work. It's probably no stronger then a dwagon, and besides, we were told heavy units can't use mounts at all.

A carpet...might. It'd probably have to be an "extra large" carpet, though.

Of course, since he's too heavy for a dwagon at the moment, fat boy could go on a diet.


I suspect that him being a "heavy unit" has more to do with the fact he's twice as tall as normal erfworlders then with him being overweight. By erfworld standards, he's bascially the size of a twoll, not of a human.
Yosarian
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby Infidel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Yosarian wrote:
The problem is...Parson's going to have a heck of a hard time coming to the rescue. He can't ride dragons, and the army is currently more then two hundred hexes from Gobwin Knob.

We don't know what his move score would be if he was promoted from garrison unit, but I doubt it's that much. It'd take him forever to get to the army; too long, probably.

Parson can give advice and stuff, but he can't literally come charging to the rescue.


Well, Charley thought 3 Archons were enough to move Parson out of hex, and Parson has access to three Archons...

I think you're all thinking inside the box with all this ride the dragon or Meaglogwiff talk. How about a sleigh led by a team of Archons?
Last edited by Infidel on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby atteSmythe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Infidel wrote:Well, Charley thought 3 Archons were enough to move Parson out of hex, and Parson has access to three Archons...

Not sure how much we can read into that scenario, though, since if Parson had accepted, he would have been a captured unit. The rules may be different in that case.
User avatar
atteSmythe
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby Infidel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 pm

atteSmythe wrote:
Infidel wrote:Well, Charley thought 3 Archons were enough to move Parson out of hex, and Parson has access to three Archons...

Not sure how much we can read into that scenario, though, since if Parson had accepted, he would have been a captured unit. The rules may be different in that case.


I don't see how capturing a unit will change its type. Normally, if you capture a unit, you gain all the advantages and disadvantages of that unit. If I steal a banana it doesn't turn into a strawberry in my pocket.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 pm

why would you put a banana in your pocket? if your pants can change banana's into strawberry's i'd be hesitant to wear them in case of mistaken identity.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Guurzak wrote:The father thing was obviously a reference to King Slately being Ansom's father. Since Ossomer and Tremennous were referred to as Ansom's brothers, this is no great leap. The reason Stanley was making a point of not saying "father" was because he didn't want to stress the point that he was having Ansom betray his own side and family.
Ansom seems to have no issues with being reminded of his former loyalties. After all, he's the one who wants to take the Jetstone capitol.
Guurzak wrote:Stanley is indeed incompetent as an overlord. He needs to be demoted to Warlord (not even Chief Warlord) and sent out into the field with some dwagons to go have fun. That's what his talents are suited for, and circumstance and ambition have placed him elsewhere.
Agreed. He seems to be a good man to have on your side in a knife fight, but he's never shown the slightest bit of capacity for strategic thinking.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby yay » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 pm

jnrhayz wrote:I have a few questions that come to mind from this update:

1. Could they build "carriers" that the dragons could "carry" that are filled with troops and invade Jetstone's Capital in 1 turn?

2. If Slately was decrypted and then made warlord and had control of production, could he pop a royal heir for Stanley?

3. Could Ansom's duty cause him to switch sides because he believes Parson is evil?

4. Are we ever going to see Parson eating marbits for breakfast or snacking on a gwiffon? (in Erfworld of course)

5. Would I want to see Parson do that?


I don't think the dwagon transport carrier would work, just because thats not how the game is meant to be played. same way parson can't ride a dwagon, then i doubt anyone not a warlord, knight, or caster can use mounts

Slately wouldn't be needed to pop a royal heir, Ansom is a royal and cheif warlord so he could do that if he wished, but i doubt stanley would allow that


if Ansom manages to get to Space Rock without incedent then he might win, assuming the Dwagons come along for the ride. Jetstone does not seem to have any signifigant airforce besides unipegataurs and maybe orlies. Dwagon air support would be the tie breaker (unless Jillian shows up and use's drama and megalogwiffs to even it out)
yay
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests