Summer Update - 034

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 034

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:17 am

also wrigley may be down for good due to not being strong enough for this assualt force. they mention that everyone has at least 6 base attack, wrigley seems like a low level garrisoned unit for his entire career. he may be too low for them to bother keeping. i hope so
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby raphfrk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:39 am

moose o death wrote:also wrigley may be down for good due to not being strong enough for this assualt force. they mention that everyone has at least 6 base attack, wrigley seems like a low level garrisoned unit for his entire career. he may be too low for them to bother keeping. i hope so

It is still worth decrypting him, even if he is only used to hold the city (again). This means that they don't have to leave any of the main strike force in place. Decrypting the defenders means that the strike force doesn't lose strength each time they take a city.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby bathysphere » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:42 am

Well, assuming they want to hold on to these towns, the low level or low move units may just be decrypted and left as garrison. (Poor Wrigley.) I'd also like to say this was a good update. We've been talking about the inevitable strategy of intentionally killing every enemy in a fight and decrypting them ever since Wanda attuned; it's no surprise, but it is surprising to see how gruesome it is. Even though Erfworld is more than a table-top game, and one of the main themes of the comic has been the gruesomeness of the rules and reality of a table-top game, I still inevitably think of what's going to happen mainly in terms of strategy and exploiting game mechanics. And then get knocked for a loop again. It's a good story.
bathysphere

Postby KiltedNinja » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:06 am

Awesome, awesome update.

Nice work :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby shadowdemon_lord » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:31 am

This was a brilliant update, positively brilliant. Telling the conqurering of the city from the perspective of a victim as opposed to Ansom or Wandas perspective is awesome. I'm left wondering if we'll get to see the change in his perspective once he becomes decrypted (will he still be bored?).
shadowdemon_lord

Postby Spot » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:59 pm

shadowdemon_lord wrote:This was a brilliant update, positively brilliant. Telling the conqurering of the city from the perspective of a victim as opposed to Ansom or Wandas perspective is awesome. I'm left wondering if we'll get to see the change in his perspective once he becomes decrypted (will he still be bored?).

As a reader, (and a storyteller myself), I'm pretty darn sure that we'll see Wrigley again.

Basically, we the readers are (supposedly) rooting for Parson to change Erfworld, and break/destroy the mode of wargame-ness that binds Erf into a cycle of never-ending puppet-hood followed by a senseless death for its inhabitants.

Well... we already saw how Parson accomplished the making of the first crack in Erfworld's rules: He changed his perspective, and realized that the Sword of Ruthlessness was not a helpful/useful tool, but was actually the equivalent of a slave collar and threw it away. It wasn't the throwing away that cracked the rules of Erfworld, but the mental realization that it had to be thrown away.

So now we have poor Wrigley... who never realized that his Spear was a slave collar, and he went to his first death more worried about the fate of the device that chained him than the fate of his own existence.

Maybe Wrigley's second life, with Wanda's help, will go better; it certainly couldn't go any worse.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby teratorn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:02 pm

My thought on reading this was: wow, regular units are kind of stupid. This guy only wanted to poke things with his spear, and even now it's not death that worries him but his spear. Stanley was probably a genius compared to the other pikers.

Oh, and I find it scary that this guy has no thoughts for someone else, his city, anything. Devoid of feelings except for his spear. Wrigley made me think of these guys more like units, an ant-like entity, and not as much as individuals. As HandofShadows puts it, they are like drones.
Last edited by teratorn on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teratorn

Postby Angband » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Poor Wrigley Spearman.

Another erfling that the war...

(Pauses to put on dark sunglasses)

...chewed up.

Yeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr...
Angband
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby elddonnemar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Amazing writing. Really drives home how much Erfworld is a world for war.
elddonnemar
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Spot » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Angband wrote:Poor Wrigley Spearman.

...chewed up.

It seems to me that Wrigley Spearman is...

...glum.

I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Spot wrote:
Angband wrote:Poor Wrigley Spearman.

...chewed up.

It seems to me that Wrigley Spearman is...

...glum.

Well. We may feel sad for this spearman...

(pauses to put on dark sunglasses)

...but I guess that was the point.

Yeeaaaaaaaaarrrrr
Fiendishrabbit

Postby DevilDan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:31 pm

One of my favorite updates by far.

I always suspected units popped with basic weapons and equipment.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby DevilDan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:38 pm

DevilDan wrote:One of my favorite updates by far.

What's so wrong with decrypting? The entire garrison would have been put to the sword either way. If Wrigley is decrypted and is not really what he used to be, then it's the same as if he'd died. If he's decrypted and is essentially the same unit, just re-popped, then what's the problem?

He was always a puppet; everyone on Erf, really, except for Parson, was popped a puppet. Some just have a bit more freedom than others.

I suppose that the shackles are natural stuffamacy.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 pm

teratorn wrote:My thought on reading this was: wow, regular units are kind of stupid. This guy only wanted to poke things with his spear, and even now it's not death that worries him but his spear. Stanley was probably a genius compared to the other pikers.

Oh, and I find it scary that this guy has no thoughts for someone else, his city, anything. Devoid of feelings except for his spear. Wrigley made me think of these guys more like units, an ant-like entity, and not as much as individuals. As HandofShadows puts it, they are like drones.

He is kneeling in line waiting to get executed, slowly realizing that his entire life was pointless and that he has no chance of doing anything about it. I think it's okay to be little self-centred in such a situation.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby DevilDan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm sure Wrigley had friend (even lovers?), but his aspirations were military ones, his life was a soldier's life. It's not a surprise that he focuses on that when his life is about to end in stabbity agony.
DevilDan

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:58 pm

DevilDan wrote:I'm sure Wrigley had friend (even lovers?)

I'm not sure about that. The writing sure makes it sound like he didn't have any aspirations. Maybe you have to level a couple of times before a unit starts to develop real personality, at least for basic unit. Warlords (Dora) seem to have personality at a much lower level (2).
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm

DevilDan wrote:
DevilDan wrote:One of my favorite updates by far.

What's so wrong with decrypting?

it's about on par with robot wives, for me, your mileage may vary. they are not born again (popped again) they are mind controlled versions of their former selves..ansom thinks he's alive, he thinks stanley was right all along and he thinks wanda is his goddess. but he's still a corpse. a puppet. uncroak lets the puppet master control the body. decrypt lets them control the mind. i'd prefer death over that existence
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby carisbourg » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh yeah, that's right, Stanley and Co. aren't misunderstood, they're the bad guys. I was starting to lose track of that for a while.
carisbourg

Postby Wed Dwagon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 pm

So, we now see Stanley, Ansom, and Wanda employing that time-honored strategy that always works so well in fantasy fiction: build an enormous world-conquering army of troops whose loyalty, effectiveness, and most likely very existence is dependent on a single powerful magical artifact.

What this presages for the future (whether near or eventual) is: epic fail. (Literally!) Even bigger epic fail when the artifact in question is actually being deployed in the field of battle instead of, say, sealed up in an "impregnable" tower somewhere.

Parson is (as we know from some of his early Klog entries) familiar enough with the cliches of fantasy fiction to recognize this problem right away. The question will be, what can he do about it? The more interesting question will be, does he care?
Last edited by Wed Dwagon on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wed Dwagon

Postby raphfrk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 pm

moose o death wrote:it's about on par with robot wives, for me, your mileage may vary. they are not born again (popped again) they are mind controlled versions of their former selves..ansom thinks he's alive, he thinks stanley was right all along and he thinks wanda is his goddess. but he's still a corpse. a puppet. uncroak lets the puppet master control the body. decrypt lets them control the mind. i'd prefer death over that existence

I wonder if Decrypting is what would happen if a croakamancer spent hundreds of turns on a single unit. Is it basically what happens if you could put a massive amount of effort into uncroaking.
Last edited by raphfrk on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions