Summer Update - 027

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 027

Postby GenuityX » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi!

First just wanna say thank you to the compliments, it is always nice to hear. Secondly I wanted to explain the drawing a little. Nope, not a toof. Supposed to be spit, but combined with bad art and the image being resized to fit the page it really does kinda look like it doesn't it? Cloudbreaker, that is a interesting point. It is something that I never really thought of...who knows? I really expected Parson to have move...so who knows what else effects him. Hopefully we don't have to see our favorite protaganist stabbed to find out :(

The picture is guest art, and in no way can I speak for Rob Balder or Jamie Noguchi. Just a fan who got a very cool oppurtunity. I look foward to seeing the other artist that Rob picks, and what they do with their interpertations. That is a good word too...interpertations, I read what ya'll read, so I had no inside info. The troops thing kinda bothered me too, but I just drew what was read. They might be marching back in forth between the internal and external gates, or maybe they are protecting the courtyard from tunnel attacks while the sourmanders are on look out? That or 32 troops wanted a place to hideout from their officers and are the look out for a rear sneak attack. I would be doing the latter :)

I chose to draw Parsons reaction to the boundry that way, 'cause it is silly. Same for the basket. Also he took determined strides towards it, bravado in the face of certain embarrasement. Rob didn't descirbe Parson as moving slowly and cautiously. I'm a klutz and I walk into stuff all the time, and even if the obstacle isn't exactly hard I'm sure I have a redunculus expression on my face, even though I'm not hurt.

This was fun. I am very happy that I was asked to do a piece. I've been following webcomics for awhile now, and very few and far between does the creator let the fan base participate. How awesome is this? Welp, I will get off my soap box, I hope I helped the titans and entertained ya'll for a bit. Thanks for being open minded and not blasting the fragile ego of an artist.
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 pm

"And ran smack into the hex boundary, stopping cold."

Meh.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby cloudbreaker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 pm

GenuityX wrote:... Nope, not a toof. Supposed to be spit, but combined with bad art and the image being resized to fit the page it really does kinda look like it doesn't it? ...

Oops, my mistake. I did enjoy your depiction of the scene though. :)
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Erk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

DevilDan wrote:
"And ran smack into the hex boundary, stopping cold."

Meh.

That's kinda my point. That would just as aptly describe running fast into a firm barrier with 10cm/4" of soft padding on it. There's no reason to assume the hex boundary affected parson differently than it would have affected anyone else.

Consider
"And ran smack into the foam mattress, stopping cold"

Does this imply the mattress is hard?
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby dirocyn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Three possibilities: First, that Parson is a Garrison unit or has zero move for some other reason. I doubt if this is the case, if it were he should not have been able to enter the portal into the Magic Kingdom. If this is the case, he might be able to mount a Sourmander --or some other mount appropriate for a heavy unit--and leave the city.

Second, it wasn't Gobwin Knob's turn, so nobody had move. If this were the case, you'd think Maggie or Sizemore would mention it--but they might not realize Parson is lacking this fundamental aspect of Erf, and assume the Warlord knows something they don't. If they just wait for another turn--Parson could try again.

Third--it could be because Stanley ordered Parson to do things inside Gobwin Knob (as mentioned later). It may be possible for Parson to shirk his duties, but impossible to directly disobey by leaving. We know from earlier orders--"you will laugh at all my jokes--" that Parson is incapable of disobeying a direct order. The line felt dangerous, and disobedience would certainly be dangerous. Parson could probably convince Stanley to order him out of the city. It would certainly be worth a turn of increased production to figure out what Parson's abilities are.
dirocyn

Postby atteSmythe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Good ideas, but I think you're a bit off, at least on the first two. It can't cost any Move to use the portal, since Parson and the linked casters used it on Ansom's turn in the climax of Book 1. Also, it was presumably GK's move when Parson tried to leave - we see it end in update 30. It's possible that Parson tried to leave before GK's turn even started, but he knows that move naturally drops to 0 at the end of turn...doesn't seem like a very fair test to set up.
atteSmythe

Previous

Return to Reactions