Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 013

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 013

Postby HerbieRai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't see the continuity problem with juice. Nowhere does it say that becasue Hits recover full each round Juice does as well.

I always assumed that a caster gets juice per turn and can store it up to a certian amount. This would allow for large spells to be casted, but require the caster to do nothing for a while before and possibly after. In fact, this could be the difference between the different levels of caster (master, novice, and such, not level 1,2,3). Leveling 1,2,3 would increase combat stats, while going up novice -> adept -> master would give access to more juice per day or perhaps more storage. This would help even the different casters out, since I'm sure croakamancers and dollmancers get a lot more combat experiance than thinkamancers and mathamancers.

example:
Spoiler: show
Both Vanna and Bunny have a max cap of 100 juice and get 40 juice per turn.

Vanna casting kingworld used up 80 juice for her (no telling how much of Charlie's juice it used), or 2 turns, leaving her with 20 for her attempt on converting afterward. She has been traveling secretly for a few turns, so It's reasonable to think she was already at her cap.

meanwhile, Bunny has 65 juice left at the end of the day (not turn, since thinkamancy can be needed off turn). the left over 5 juice would get wasted at the begining of the day. Therefore there are no duty quams with having a quick conversation with Ceasar.
HerbieRai

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Some thoughts on ol' Larry:

He was a Level 7 named Larry Ansell.

Level 7 Communications is a small company in Chicago. Their creative director is Larry Ansel. The real Mr. Ansel is not much in the bearded, or haired, department though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouXMU0NXCzI

He wore silver scale mail, and was wrapped up in a heavy cape of fiat panda fur.

A Fiat Panda is a type of small car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Panda

I haven't got anything on the the silver scale mail yet. Reference to fish? Not sure.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby kagato23 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:23 am

HerbieRai wrote:I don't see the continuity problem with juice. Nowhere does it say that becasue Hits recover full each round Juice does as well.

I always assumed that a caster gets juice per turn and can store it up to a certian amount. This would allow for large spells to be casted, but require the caster to do nothing for a while before and possibly after. In fact, this could be the difference between the different levels of caster (master, novice, and such, not level 1,2,3). Leveling 1,2,3 would increase combat stats, while going up novice -> adept -> master would give access to more juice per day or perhaps more storage. This would help even the different casters out, since I'm sure croakamancers and dollmancers get a lot more combat experiance than thinkamancers and mathamancers.

I can't think of a single gaming system right now that would mix standard restoration like that, the ones I've seen have simliar rules for each. But I went and checked something, and this is all a moot arguemnt: in book 1 it is explicitly stated in the glossary: "Juice is refilled to full at the start of every turn." It also states in the glossary text for move that it is restored in the same way as Juice.

So whatever a Caster's capacity is, they are back to 100% of it at the start of a turn, just like move, and hits. Which, I think, makes the idea of spending "two turns worth of juice" more significantly a feat. It also means there's no sense holding back any juice at all, so we can assume Bunny would goto zero and only at night, when there's no chance of it getting used otherwise.

As to mastry, I base this on nothing at all, but I'd see mastery as reducing juice cost with more efficent casting. So while Juice increases by level (we know this from Wanda), Mastery takes the same stat but lets you get more out of it. I'm sure it's got other bonuses as well mind.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Mrtyuh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:24 am

Kreistor wrote:Larry Ansell.

Ansell, Larry.

Ancillary

1. subordinate; subsidiary.
2. auxiliary; assisting.

That's appropriate. He's certainly subordinate to Olive.

multilis wrote:Caesar is #2 guy in kingdom, one with most power to make a play for #1. Don has had several children already try to backstab him.

So if Don was to spy on someone, likely would be Caesar as he would likely be at least a pawn in any revolt as his the heir. (No point replacing Don if the Heir isn't better puppet for you).

Whole thing is rather complicated. Even if Don ordered Bunny to play spy, there is still risk she could still go native (become more loyal to Caesar while spying on him then to Don). A thinkomancer is better at playing puppet master in a revolt then almost anyone else including a chief warlord... she has hints on where *everyone's* loyalties lie, and she controls communication. So there is always possibility that Bunny is the real rebel, carefully putting Don and Caesar in conflict, so that Caesar takes over as her puppet. Does Don trust her, and if so for good reason?

I guess it will ultimately depend on the direction in which Rob wants to take the story. Don has become a rather fanatical royalist resently. Fanatics tend to ignore things that don't fit into their own preconceived notions. Don misjudging Caesar and, potentially, paying for it, doesn't necessarily make Don stupid, just overconfident and/or arrogant.

Whispri wrote:If so, I fear Wanda will have a miserable time of it at Faq. Or wherever, but Faq's the most likely suspect.

Especially since the better ones seem to be taken. Perhaps a Weirdomancer will give Wanda the flighing special at some point. I don't know what the only seeing the shadows of people may mean, unless it's some sort of Foolamancy. The being mocked and beaten is pretty self explanitory. It doesn't look like Wanda has a fun future in store, but we already suspected that.

gameboy1234 wrote:I haven't got anything on the the silver scale mail yet. Reference to fish? Not sure.

From the late-second century until they were disbanded by Constantine the Great, the Praetorian Guard were known for wearing scale mail. Especially fine scale mail, with very tiny scales, was also a sign of officers, since the small scales were fragile and not suitable for combat and the amount of work involved meant they were very expensive. It may indicate that Larry is in the Haffaton's equivilant of KISS. It may also indicate that he shouldn't be trusted. Of course, this is just random speculation.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Mrtyuh wrote:
Whispri wrote:If so, I fear Wanda will have a miserable time of it at Faq. Or wherever, but Faq's the most likely suspect.

Especially since the better ones seem to be taken. Perhaps a Weirdomancer will give Wanda the flighing special at some point. I don't know what the only seeing the shadows of people may mean, unless it's some sort of Foolamancy. The being mocked and beaten is pretty self explanitory. It doesn't look like Wanda has a fun future in store, but we already suspected that.

The shadows could be a vision of time spent in a link perhaps? Wanda and Sizemore seemed pretty shadowy in the Volcano Uncroaking sequence as I recall, they still had distinct faces, but that was after mere seconds. And who knows how they perceived other people?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Amado » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:45 am

She's wielding a Stratocaster. Stratocaster.

{ In my mind, it's this color: http://uncrate.com/p/50s-fender-strat.jpg }
Amado

Previous

Return to Reactions