161 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 148

Page by page discussion of the comic.

161 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 148

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 am

Uh oh, someone pulled the drama tag.

NERF

Dum dum DUUUMMM!
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

161 The battle for Gobwin Knob, page 148

Postby doran » Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 am

Hmm, interesting, so Parson has a part of himself wanting to win at all costs.
I wonder if his change in outlook is going to continue over the summer gap?
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Re: 161 The battle for Gobwin Knob, page 148

Postby Jolly » Sun May 17, 2009 11:41 am

I liked seeing Sizemore workin' in the background.

Looks like his mining work has taken his mind of the murders he had to do.

And looks like diamonds (and gems) are a dirtamancers best friend as well as a womans!
Jolly

Postby SteveMB » Sun May 17, 2009 11:49 am

Well, that is going to give Parson something to think about, uncomfortably.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Sun May 17, 2009 11:49 am

Jolly wrote:I liked seeing Sizemore workin' in the background.

I was going to say the same thing. Nothing like a task you love doing to take your mind
from what you have just done. Parson on the other hand it's drawn exactly to the kind of mayhem he
has just done. No wonder Wanda seems to look at him like a friend of sorts.
teratorn

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 17, 2009 12:36 pm

doran wrote:Hmm, interesting, so Parson has a part of himself wanting to win at all costs.
I wonder if his change in outlook is going to continue over the summer gap?

Apparently, there was an experiment where the US military tested gamers in fake battle. They were shocked at the losses that they were willing to take in order to win. I think it is that total ruthlessness (when he is in gamer-mode) that the sword enhances.

Also, I wonder if this rule also applied to natural thinkamancy. Most people are naturally loyal to their country, and maybe loyalty in Erf just enhances that feeling.

Presumably, The other monsters Parson is thinking of are are Parson and Wanda.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Sun May 17, 2009 12:41 pm

So is it Ansom (destroyed at least ten cities) or Wanda (three own goals City wise, again minimum) that he's not counting?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Whispri wrote:So is it Ansom (destroyed at least ten cities) or Wanda (three own goals City wise, again minimum) that he's not counting?

Well, we don't know what Ansom did to the cities he captured. All units in defeated city might not be killed.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The Old Hack » Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm

I think he counts himself and Wanda. Given that to Parson Ansom is merely a defeated and converted opponent, he doesn't really figure into it, I suspect.
The Old Hack
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: 161 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 148

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Spotted the "Flowers for Algernon" reference in panel 11!

I really liked this page, for some odd and ruthless reason. Granted, to a Thinkamancer, the things they do are small and subtle, but to everyone else, they make Links, Suggestions, Mind Control, send messages across vast distances... and turn Parsons into Perfect Warlords.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Vordrax » Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I liked reading what Parson considered doing to Maggie. It was both smart and compassionate of him NOT to do it, but I liked that he thought about it and that he let Maggie know he thought about it. He's letting his minions know what sort of things aren't acceptable under his command (at least, when Stanley's not around).
Vordrax

Postby Lothmar » Sun May 17, 2009 3:07 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Whispri wrote:So is it Ansom (destroyed at least ten cities) or Wanda (three own goals City wise, again minimum) that he's not counting?

Well, we don't know what Ansom did to the cities he captured. All units in defeated city might not be killed.

True, however in a game sense. If you cant convert a unit, why let it become a barbarian to threaten you or your allies later when you can grind em for experience?
Lothmar

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun May 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I always wondered what Parson original command was before he ordered them to the magic kingdom. And now we know.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Kaskah » Sun May 17, 2009 3:23 pm

I suppose Ansom could be considered a monster in a sense. After all, he is now more than willing to conquer Erf, and was more than happy to wipe Gobwin Knob off the face of Erf when he was 'alive'.
Kaskah

Postby Infidel » Sun May 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Some of you guys are totally missing the point with the Monster business.
The monsters are the ones that killed those on their own friends/allies.
Parson, Wanda, Maggie.
Parson's current level of remorse might be making him confused whether he is one or two, but he is definitely considering himself a greater monster than Maggie right now with the comment about, "It's a joke to apologize to me." The volcano gambit slaughtered many on his own side. Wanda's betrayal of FAQ resulted in the death of her faction and of course many people. Maggie only killed one person.

What confuses me a little is Maggie's Thank you in the final frame and the comment she made. What aspect was she referring to I wonder? Parson's mercy? Is mercy such a remarkable trait in a warrior, or was she referring to something else.

Summer break? Are we going to go months without an erf update? Woe, agony, pain, dispair.

ohh, and it looks like the argument I made a while back about the bogroll veil working just as well on a gobwin was specifically debunked. Ahh well, can't be right all the time, or even most of the time :P
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Vordrax wrote:I liked reading what Parson considered doing to Maggie. It was both smart and compassionate of him NOT to do it, but I liked that he thought about it and that he let Maggie know he thought about it. He's letting his minions know what sort of things aren't acceptable under his command (at least, when Stanley's not around).

Btw, I wonder why he didn't, it could be that he wasn't allowed, rather than that he considered it immoral. He would effectively be ordering a unit to self-destruct. The only reason to tactically justify such an action is if he felt that since one of them had to die, Sizemore and Wanda were more valuable to Stanley.

As to the summer break, the info is here.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Sun May 17, 2009 4:49 pm

raphrk wrote:Btw, I wonder why he didn't, it could be that he wasn't allowed, rather than that he considered it immoral.

He thought he was going to die, he probably thought better than having petty revenge as his last action.

By the way, he just found a nice way to break any links he makes in the future. Just send whatever trio into the
Magic Kingdom with enough money to pay for the number of thinkamancers needed.
Last edited by teratorn on Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teratorn

Postby kreszantas » Sun May 17, 2009 4:49 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Vordrax wrote:I liked reading what Parson considered doing to Maggie. It was both smart and compassionate of him NOT to do it, but I liked that he thought about it and that he let Maggie know he thought about it. He's letting his minions know what sort of things aren't acceptable under his command (at least, when Stanley's not around).

Btw, I wonder why he didn't, it could be that he wasn't allowed, rather than that he considered it immoral. He would effectively be ordering a unit to self-destruct. The only reason to tactically justify such an action is if he felt that since one of them had to die, Sizemore and Wanda were more valuable to Stanley.

As to the summer break, the info is here.

Not so sure about self-destruct, but maybe severely incapacitated much in the way Wanda was from her backlash. (unit out of service for x amount of turns) Ruthlessness was pretty much what I thought it was, the enchancement of his gamer mentality. I am not so sure about Maggie not being just as important, it seems most sides have a thinkamancer they can issue orders to troops where warlord can not, linking of the casters, may more unseen functions like the sending thinkagrams, getting Jacks name through the glass was all her work. Maggie is not a 'battle' unit persay as compared to what Sizemore and Wanda were doing near the end.
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 17, 2009 5:25 pm

kreszantas wrote:I am not so sure about Maggie not being just as important, it seems most sides have a thinkamancer they can issue orders to troops where warlord can not, linking of the casters, may more unseen functions like the sending thinkagrams, getting Jacks name through the glass was all her work. Maggie is not a 'battle' unit persay as compared to what Sizemore and Wanda were doing near the end.

The point was not that she is less valuable, just that if you are going to order 1 unit to sacrifice themselves to save another 2, then the one doing the sacrificing would have to be less valuable. Ofc, if they are all equally valuable, then it is all a wash.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Morthe » Sun May 17, 2009 5:54 pm

I wonder how many loose ends they have to talk about before his Toolness arrives. I'm really looking forward for Stanley's reaction...
Morthe
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions