Natalie, Queen of Scots

Passive screen-based entertainment.

Natalie, Queen of Scots

Postby CecilThoreau » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Has anyone else been following up on this? It's an independent film production that's going to be shot in southern Florida. It's about a nine-year old girl who goes to war with the ocean after it knocks down her sand castle, and the pitch has been, "It's a children's film that doesn't talk down to children". The producers are seeking help from the online community, allowing the public to buy $50 shares to cover the costs of production. The investments will later be returned when the movie sells within one to three years, and the investor will have his or her name or organization thanked in the credits.

http://www.nataliequeenofscots.com/
http://www.lobsterback.com/wehavetofindaway/

I, for one, am curious to see how this endeavor turns out. I'm actually hoping it succeeds, but I'm skeptical about them being able to raise $250,000 online. I like the story idea, and I tend to be drawn towards these kinds of internet group missions, but I don't think that the producers will be able to cover all their costs by selling these shares online. I mean, they would need to sell 5000 of them, and that seems like an unlikely high number from my perspective. All the same, I've already supported them myself.

Also, I'm curious about the success of this film. What do people here think about independent film makers, compared to big companies like Hollywood? A bigger company could afford greater budgets and has a sort of quality control system, but big companies have been criticized for tending to pander more to certain audiences and sometimes being more focused on profits than quality. I actually don't have too strong of an opinion here myself, since I'm not an avid movie-goer, but I'm curious to hear what others think.
CecilThoreau

Re: Natalie, Queen of Scots

Postby balder » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 pm

I bought a share and they returned my money. Apparently there was a problem with the SEC with the legality of doing it this way. :cry:
balder

Postby settern » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:06 pm

balder wrote:I bought a share and they returned my money. Apparently there was a problem with the SEC with the legality of doing it this way. :cry:

This is Ren Caldwell, producer of Natalie, Queen of Scots --

After the initial "$18,000 in a day" push, we put the entire thing on hold for three days to check things out with a lawyer. Everything checked out okay (we had to fix a few wording errors), but in order to keep the money we had currently raised, we had everyone resign our LLC agreement. Most likely if you had your money refunded, we couldn't get in contact with you regarding your signing of the agreement. :) We are (and have been for the past few weeks) a-okay and lawyer-approved at www.wehavetofindaway.com.

And (thanks to over $45k raised) we started shooting today!
settern

Postby balder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 am

Nice, thanks Ren. I got a "membership interest" and made it my Rob's Plug link. Good luck to you and Brian and the cast and crew!
balder

Return to Movies and Television