Brainstorm for Dwagons names

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

Re: Brainstorm for Dwagons names

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 pm

Okay, with all those good ideas I'm leaning so far for:

Red: Kelvin
Yellow: (not sure: Bristol is a good idea but not quite a measurement unit. Otherwise, Newton/Poise ? )
Green: Langmuir
Blue: Ampere
Purple: Decibel
Pink: Pascal

Just need to make up my mind on that little yellow bugger. :3

Thanks a lot for a the contributions and great ideas. Sadly I don't have enough Dwagons for them all!
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Nebulious » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Since yellow shoots acidic battle crap, I looked up pH and interestingly no one really agrees what it means. A couple of suggestions from there are "Potenz" and for a good double pun "Log." Alternatively, since acidity has to do with concentration, you could go with "molarity."
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Nebulious wrote:Since yellow shoots acidic battle crap, I looked up pH and interestingly no one really agrees what it means. A couple of suggestions from there are "Potenz" and for a good double pun "Log." Alternatively, since acidity has to do with concentration, you could go with "molarity."

Ah, so it is not agreed it means "power of Hydrogen" ? (which I've always taken to refer to "power" in the multiplication sense of the term) I didn't know that.
Hurm...

You come with good ideas, but I'm being on a trend of measurement units that refer to a scientist's name. Potenz, Log(good pun there!) and Molarity are not, sadly. D:
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
CelebrenIthil

Postby Emaria » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, I can't help much on the yellow, I've never been much of a chemist. I know there are different kinds of acids like Bronstead-Lowery (sp?) and Lewis acids. That's not a measurement.

I just wanted to make the suggestion that you call the blue Joules instead of Ampere. It's the SI unit for energy, sounds a lot cooler. That's just my opinion though.
Emaria
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 am

Not on dwagon names, but on what the pH means.

Back in my corner of the world, pH is usually understood as "positive Hydrogen", and pH-level is then the concentration of positive Hydrogen ions in the solution (with the caveat that what actually occurs is the Hydronium complex.)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby CelebrenIthil » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Emaria wrote:Well, I can't help much on the yellow, I've never been much of a chemist. I know there are different kinds of acids like Bronstead-Lowery (sp?) and Lewis acids. That's not a measurement.

I just wanted to make the suggestion that you call the blue Joules instead of Ampere. It's the SI unit for energy, sounds a lot cooler. That's just my opinion though.

Hahah, I've done my chemistry and other advanced science classes, but then I went to study in Digital Arts and quickly went on to forget that stuff. XD

Also, for Joules, I know of it, but I've used this measurement more often when talking about temperature and physic forces than electric power, and even tough it works for anything using energy, when I think about joules I don't think about electricity at all.
It'd fit better- in my head- for the Red Dwagon, but I much prefer Kelvin.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Not on dwagon names, but on what the pH means.

Back in my corner of the world, pH is usually understood as "positive Hydrogen", and pH-level is then the concentration of positive Hydrogen ions in the solution (with the caveat that what actually occurs is the Hydronium complex.)

Hm, i'd need to check on my old chemistry books to see what it says about it but i'm afraid I got rid of them, hahah. XD
Positive Hydrogen that might be too. Seems like there isn't a consensus on the meaning.
My Dwagons!
CelebrenIthil

Postby Emaria » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes, I'm an electrical engineer, I can't say that I use joules too often (outside of some in my Electricity and Magnetism class back when I was still in those classes). But then I am american, and we don't frequently use ANY SI unit. heh. Just thought it sounded cool. And I can think of a lot more units named after people.
Coulomb, Farad, Ohms, Siemen (although not everyone uses this, most people I know use Mohs which is the exact same thing and imo a lot more clever). Also Henry (which would be kind of funny).

Edit: also, reading some of the earlier posts, I noted that someone mentioned the units for radioactivity as Curie. If at any point the titans decide greens should be radioactive, there are also becquerel which is yet another radioactivity measurement.
Emaria

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:28 am

On pH: wikipedia says "powers of Hydrogen", but they also mention that it's not clear what the p is for. So yeah, minor mystery there.

Emaria wrote:Coulomb, Farad, Ohms, Siemen (although not everyone uses this, most people I know use Mohs which is the exact same thing and imo a lot more clever). Also Henry (which would be kind of funny).

Or Gauss ... but by the way, Mohs? Isn't that a qualitative hardness scale, while Siemens is conductance (opposed of resistance)?

Finally, about radioactivity, I think Roentgen is also a measure of radiation dose. Bonus in that it's one of those nice sounding German names. German is the most beautiful language on Earth in my opinion, but everyone else disagrees- including the Germans :lol: .
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Gez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Emaria wrote:If at any point the titans decide greens should be radioactive, there are also becquerel which is yet another radioactivity measurement.

This name is already taken.
Gez

Postby Emaria » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:36 pm

ahahaha Yes of course, thanks for pointing out my typo! Mhos! :) A lot of engineers still refer to seimens as mhos (inverse of ohms, get it :P). Siemens wasn't accepted as the official unit until sometime in the 70s so all the old fogeys still use mhos. All the old fogeys then taught my classes, so a lot of people now still use those units.

And yes, I did forget Gauss and Maxwell and Weber! Don't want to hate on the magnetic flux units.
Emaria

Postby effataigus » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

Nebulious wrote:Since yellow shoots acidic battle crap, I looked up pH and interestingly no one really agrees what it means. A couple of suggestions from there are "Potenz" and for a good double pun "Log." Alternatively, since acidity has to do with concentration, you could go with "molarity."

[nerdout] I'm irrationally excited to see a discussion that has gotten sidetracked into a definition of pH on the Erfworld forums. My advisor looked into this some years ago... if I remember the story right... when questioned about it, Soren Sorensen (a chemist working for the Carlsburg beer company in Denmark who first coined the idea about a century ago) said that he chose "p" because it could refer to an exponent in every language he spoke (potenz, puissance, power). [/nerdout]

[forum-appropriate-nerdout] I think you're right that the acidic aspect of the poo would just be another insult to add to the crushing injuries though. Great dwagon names all!

Also, your icon makes me laugh every time :D It is also beautifully done! [/forum-appropriate-nerdout]
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby CelebrenIthil » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

effataigus wrote:

[nerdout] I'm irrationally excited to see a discussion that has gotten sidetracked into a definition of pH on the Erfworld forums. My advisor looked into this some years ago... if I remember the story right... when questioned about it, Soren Sorensen (a chemist working for the Carlsburg beer company in Denmark who first coined the idea about a century ago) said that he chose "p" because it could refer to an exponent in every language he spoke (potenz, puissance, power). [/nerdout]

[forum-appropriate-nerdout] I think you're right that the acidic aspect of the poo would just be another insult to add to the crushing injuries though. Great dwagon names all!

Also, your icon makes me laugh every time :D It is also beautifully done! [/forum-appropriate-nerdout]

Dang, sorry for the almost-two-months-late reply!
Yay for science sidetracking! :D
It's very interesting to hear that story, I guess it would make sense.

In any case, yeah that made for very cool dwagon names! :D

Also, wow, thanks about my avatar. I'm happy to hear about it, you're the first to tell me it's funny.
But, ironically, I just changed right before noticing this comment.
It's not lost, tough!
I might go back and forth between both depending on my mood, heheh. :D
My Dwagons!
CelebrenIthil

Postby effataigus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Omg...

I doff my hat... well done... again XD

Gobwin Knob failed to account for Jetstone's mightiest anti-air weapon. Trammenis' Care Bear Stare.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Previous

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays