Content?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Content?

Postby Tarvok » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am

Hey, normally, I'm of the "don't be an asshole to the author" school of thought. Most of my webcomic authors do what they do as a hobby, and so complaining about the update schedule is kind of toolish... and not in a good way.

But could someone remind me the perfectly reasonable reason for the lack of content, lately? I remember there was something about Rob's health... but that was a while ago. Xin left the project, but it was some time ago her successor was chosen. Money could be an issue... but he's no longer seeking donations, saying that the Tools are enough at this time... and then there's the apparently wildly successful kickstarters (multiple)...

So what gives? Was there some announcement I missed, talking about why this website has been decidedly low on content lately?
Tarvok

Re: Content?

Postby 0beron » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am

Tarvok wrote:Was there some announcement I missed?
Yes....several of them.

Rob is fulfilling the Kickstarter rewards, putting out the "You as an Erfworld Character" stories that high level donors earned, like the Lord Crush Story.

Following that, Book 3 will begin provided the next Kickstarter is successful, because David (the new artist) hasn't been paid for it yet, only for the Erfabet. Rob hasn't given us a specific date, but has implied that Kickstarter will be launching soon, with a big goal and lots of neat rewards that he has been spending time deciding on.

In fact, Rob's communication with the fandom has been SUPERB of late, ever since the announcement that Xin would be stepping down as primary artist, Rob has been straightforward and kept us very well updated.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

You can also catch some interesting details if you follow Erfworld in facebook. But keeping up with the news announcement will do the trick.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 pm

This is sort of what happened on Dresden Codak too, where he only made like 4 pages in a year, and people thought it was odd because he had gotten the money from his kickstarters. The thing is, kickstarters are funding for future work, not payment for finished content. So the kickstarters being finished didn't mean the work was finished, it meant the work could finally start.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Well, in this case I think we've seen that Kickstarters finishing does mean work begins on a regular basis. The Epilogues came out at a consistent pace as soon as David was paid for, so clearly he can deliver at the same rate Rob can write. I have faith that we'll see Book 3 coming out on a satisfactory schedule once the kickstarter succeeds.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Bob.Bobberson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:24 pm

ah, so this means we will at some point actually get comics to read in this web comic? Good to know.
Bob.Bobberson

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Bob.Bobberson wrote:ah, so this means we will at some point actually get comics to read in this web comic? Good to know.
Yes, boo who, how dare Rob give his promised rewards to the people who make the comic possible, woe is us. I'd WAY rather see Rob draw stick figures himself rather than pay for an artist to actually make said comic.

Seriously take a moment to think before you speak and just listen to yourself -_- *wishing there was a :disgusted: face*
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Bob.Bobberson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:39 pm

0beron wrote:
Bob.Bobberson wrote:ah, so this means we will at some point actually get comics to read in this web comic? Good to know.
Yes, boo who, how dare Rob give his promised rewards to the people who make the comic possible, woe is us. I'd WAY rather see Rob draw stick figures himself rather than pay for an artist to actually make said comic.

Seriously take a moment to think before you speak and just listen to yourself -_- *wishing there was a :disgusted: face*

Wow, fanboi much?

If Rob wants to keep up a solid readership then he should be concerned about the lack of an actual comic being posted for so long considering what attracted people to his site in the first place was his awesome _webcomic_.

I'm sure there is still a good revenue stream coming in from the banner ads though due to loads from people visiting the page to see if something has been posted but then quickly go elsewhere when they are greeted with a wall of words.
Bob.Bobberson

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Bob.Bobberson wrote:Wow, fanboi much?
Oh, simply having a basic sense of decency/manners, and actually have a grasp of basic reality is something only fanboys have? Huh, news to me.
Bob.Bobberson wrote:If Rob wants to keep up a solid readership...
There is no "if" or "want" here. He HAS a good solid readership, as evidenced by the wild success of his Kickstarters, and the number of people who enjoy all the different types of content. Just because you don't feel like expending the mental effort to actually read something longer than a paragraph doesn't mean others feel the same. (Though you're willing to expend the effort to make an account and whine in an unconstructive manner, so I'm a bit baffled)
Bob.Bobberson wrote:I'm sure there is still a good revenue stream coming in from the banner ads....
That's a nice bit of speculation you've got there...too bad you have no idea what you're talking about since you don't know the traffic volume and don't know how much Rob sells the space for. If you think about it logically though, you might realize that if the ad revenue was indeed enough, he wouldn't need Kickstarters now would he? Nice try though. Can you actually think for yourself in the future rather than having me do it for ya? kthnxbye. *Foe-d*
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Bob.Bobberson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Regardless of how hard you think your forum surgical strikes are hitting the fact remains that there are many people who are in the same boat I am. Ignoring that fact is not smart.

I'm sorry I checked back, obviously a waste of time.

Enjoy your comicless comic.
Bob.Bobberson

Postby Lipkin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

On the flip side, your complaints are comical.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:This is sort of what happened on Dresden Codak too, where he only made like 4 pages in a year, and people thought it was odd because he had gotten the money from his kickstarters. The thing is, kickstarters are funding for future work, not payment for finished content. So the kickstarters being finished didn't mean the work was finished, it meant the work could finally start.

Kickstarters are donations. Not payments. Anyway, Rob is doing the stuff he promised right now. Personally, I think a lot of the things were obligations were things he shouldn't have taken on, but whateves. We vote with our money and people voted for these. ... So yeah, I'll be sending donations for the kickstarter for the comic. So keep up the good work, and take my money when you have time.
Lamech

Postby Jatopian » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 pm

It's good that we started off with a webcomic; a lot of people don't want to give a chance to some random walls of text on the Internet, and the comic format is more easily digestible. It probably brought in a lot of people who wouldn't have given a chance to the lovely writing and worldbuilding without it. Heck, I might be one of those people; when I first saw the comic it was on the Order of the Stick site, and I almost gave up on it because I thought it was based on some real game I didn't understand enough to get references to.

But now we have this spell of unaccompanied text, and it's driving away people like Bob. At the least, this will improve the fandom. And if Rob is ever swayed by the fandom's reaction to something or other, it will now at least probably be a more levelheaded reaction.
Jatopian

Postby Lilwik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Bob.Bobberson wrote:ah, so this means we will at some point actually get comics to read in this web comic?
For what it's worth, I enjoy the text updates more than the comic pages. You get so much more content with each text update, often including insights into how characters are thinking. I'm sure that I'm as eager as anyone for a return to the comic pages, but only because I want to see what happens next with Parson, and far more than that what I really want is the next episode of Book 0. The people who don't read the text updates are really missing something wonderful in Book 0, especially with the way that Episode 81 ended. Rob Balder can be a bit of an evil genius sometimes, forcing is to stew upon Episode 81 for all this time while he gives us Epilogues and Lord Crush and Digdoug. I'm sure we'll appreciate the next part of Book 0 even more this way.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Lilwik wrote:Rob Balder can be a bit of an evil genius sometimes, forcing us to stew upon Episode 81 for all this time...
You do realize that we're prolly gonna be left to stew on Episode 81 forever right? :p If the Book 0 Part 1 to Book 0 Part 2 transition is any indication, there are big chronological jumps between parts becase each focuses on a different character. So I bet we're never really going to see the immediate fall-out from that spell. I anticipate Part 3 will be Charlie, Stanley, or Janice.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm

0beron wrote:You do realize that we're prolly gonna be left to stew on Episode 81 forever right?
Of course you're right that there was a big jump between Wanda's part and Jillian's part, but it still continued the same story. It took a while, but eventually we got back to Wanda and learned quite a bit about what happened to her after Episode 26. In the same way I anticipate that Jillian will feature in Part 3 and we will learn what happened to her. If Jillian doesn't even appear in Part 3, that would just be cruel.

If Part 3 turns out to be from Charlie's perspective, that would be such a shock. I would love that.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Ah I thought that you were interested in the immediate fall-out like I was. I was a little bummed we didn't get to see what happened right when Wanda was captured and what her beginning days with Haffaton were like, so I expect I'll be similarly disappointed that we don't see Banhammer's reaction to the spell's results, and what happens to Haffaton's territory in the following turns. Of course the story we jump ahead to will be just as good, but the little gaps always nag at me anyway haha.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 pm

I'd just like to say, from personal experience, you only get money from banner ads if somebody clicks on them. So... I know I have only clicked on like 2.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Return to Everything Else Erfworld