Soldiers in the MK - repercussions?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Soldiers in the MK - repercussions?

Postby No one in particular » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm

I wonder if Parson could arrange for training drills with the Dollamancers & Dirtamancers... it'd be good for everyone!

The Casters get to practice their Golem making skills, the soldiers get to keep in practice, work on strategies... maybe other casters can come watch, get a better idea of how units interact in the heat of battle, but all under safely controlled conditions.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes, because in a place where armed mobs hate you because of your soldiers invading their homeland, doing military drills in the streets is going to go over GREAT. Not going to cause a riot even a little.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Yes, because in a place where armed mobs hate you because of your soldiers invading their homeland, doing military drills in the streets is going to go over GREAT. Not going to cause a riot even a little.

Well, not the STREETS, obviously. We don't want to block traffic.

No, it'd be on like, a field, out of the way. Get the carnies to set it up. "COME ONE, COME ALL! See the Hamster's Horde FLEE from the tiniest of golems! WATCH them be baffled by the simplest of foolamancers! Only 2 rands! For one rand more, you can try your own hand at routing these fearsome invaders!"

I do not see what could POSSIBLY go wrong with this arrangement.
---
No one in particular

Postby Lamech » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:17 am

That would be hilarious. I wonder if singing and dancing could be used to help other casters. They could drill in dance fighting. Well dancing casting. Drill them in fabrication, and digging and farming and stuff. They would be like the seven dwarfs singing "hi ho, hi ho its off to work we go!"
Lamech

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 pm

On an unrelated note, I kind of think it would be funny if the "orange" qualified were called Coppers (metal Dirtamancers?), the blue district were called Boys in Blue (flying casters?), and the Eyemancers called theirs G-men. Just cause the naming scheme makes me laugh. And everything in the Grey district would look like Universal Monster movies combined with Film Noir.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Kichumen » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 am

This should actually be the end of the Magic Kingdom
as the presence of Soldies makes it look like they are Allies of GK

How would the other Rulers now see the fabled Neutrality ? How would the Alllied powers have viewed the Swiss neutrality when Göring ( Leader of the Army ) sets up camp in Bern with a small army and then proceeds to meet with lets say the Head of the Bankers ? To mee it looks like they should consider the MK an Ally of Gobwin Knob.
So consequentially no Ruler should allow his Casters into the MK anymore.( Since Casters are way to valuable to Risk that easyly )
Nor should they let other Casters into their Kingdom ( fear of Spies or Assault Troops )
All that leads to the Casters of the MK no longer working for anybode nor getting business from anybody ( except maybe GK and allies )
Maybe Parson even wanted that when he brought in his Troops , but its not something the MK Casters can tolerate if they want any hope of continuing their Business .

Your Thoughts ?
Kichumen

Postby Lilwik » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 am

Kichumen wrote:This should actually be the end of the Magic Kingdom as the presence of Soldies makes it look like they are Allies of GK
I agree that many casters that would have gone into the Magic Kingdom will now stay home instead, but I think the Magic Kingdom has been neutral for too long and is too important to cause people to jump to the conclusion that it is no longer neutral. People will worry that it might be no longer neutral, but I doubt they can just stop hiring casters. There are no alternatives that come even close to what the Magic Kingdom offers. Sides might trade casters around, but that is slow and doesn't give nearly as much variety of casters. People have gotten used to being able to trade shmuckers for magic at a moment's notice; it's been that way for the entire history of Erfworld, and I doubt Erfworld will give it up easily.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm surprised that Parson didn't try to claim a lack of neutrality on the MK's part. bringing up the attacks on Sizemore, the fear Wanda clearly shows, and the death/croak threats against Parson himself even though they can't prove he isn't a caster. He could argue that they made bodyguards necessary for GK casters. You know, spin it so it's their fault he brought troops, not his. Could even use this as an excuse for ignoring the Portal rules, since they ignored their rules on neutrality first.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Kichumen wrote:This should actually be the end of the Magic Kingdom as the presence of Soldiers makes it look like they are Allies of GK

How would the other Rulers now see the fabled Neutrality? How would the Allied powers have viewed the Swiss neutrality when Göring (Leader of the Army) sets up camp in Bern with a small army and then proceeds to meet with lets say the Head of the Bankers ? To me it looks like they should consider the MK an Ally of Gobwin Knob.

So consequentially no Ruler should allow his Casters into the MK anymore. (Since Casters are way to valuable to Risk that easily)

Nor should they let other Casters into their Kingdom (fear of Spies or Assault Troops)

All that leads to the Casters of the MK no longer working for anybody nor getting business from anybody (except maybe GK and allies) Maybe Parson even wanted that when he brought in his Troops, but it's not something the MK Casters can tolerate if they want any hope of continuing their business.

Your Thoughts?
Keep in mind, the Rulers have no idea what goes on in the MK, unless they're casters themselves. Furthermore, how they react to the news of a GK presence in the MK (if/when they do), will be heavily colored by how the MK acts.

Using your analogy of Germans in Switzerland, consider these scenarios:
  • The Germans are stomping around and the Swiss are fighting back - It's an invasion! This will force the Swiss to join us!
  • The Germans are stomping around and the Swiss are stomping with them - Oh no! They're working together!
  • The Germans are stomping around and the Swiss are doing nothing - They're neutral, but we don't trust them and we won't forget this.
Honestly, I can see Charlie doing a LOT with this situation. Sit on it & blackmail the MK with it. Sell it or give it to his clients, scaring them even more of GK and forcing them to go through him for their casting needs.

Actually, it strikes me that more important than how Rulers react will be how Casters do. For the Rulers, the MK was like Switzerland - neutral, far away, something to hear about from people who've been there. For the Casters, it was like the Holy Land - it was supposed to be sacrosanct, unassailable.
---
No one in particular

Postby Kichumen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am

No one in particular wrote:Keep in mind, the Rulers have no idea what goes on in the MK

Honestly, I can see Charlie doing a LOT with this situation. Sit on it & blackmail the MK with it. Sell it or give it to his clients, scaring them even more of GK and forcing them to go through him for their casting needs.

Actually, it strikes me that more important than how Rulers react will be how Casters do. For the Rulers, the MK was like Switzerland - neutral, far away, something to hear about from people who've been there. For the Casters, it was like the Holy Land - it was supposed to be sacrosanct, unassailable.

Excellent Points , Thankyou

Lilwik wrote: but I think the Magic Kingdom has been neutral for too long and is too important to cause people to jump to the conclusion that it is no longer neutral. People will worry that it might be no longer neutral, but I doubt they can just stop hiring casters. There are no alternatives that come even close to what the Magic Kingdom offers. .

Also , good Point , thanks.

So I hope Balder will give us Charlies Talks with the MK and his scarestories with the other Rulers as text updates :D

Hmm alltogether it seems Charlie should work on giving people an alternative to the MK ,by giving them refugee in his City , he might even be able to pull it of if enough Casters are scared of Parson .
Kichumen

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld