Who/What would you like to see a reference to?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Who/What would you like to see a reference to?

Postby Lipkin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 am

It's a simple question that could be fun to discuss.

What, or who, would you like to see a reference to within the world of Erf? Would would, when you saw it, make you go "boop yeah!"

No surprise, I'd love to see a suitably ridiculous character based on Groucho Marx, or heck, all the Marx Brothers. Carnies, the lot of them. I'd also love to see more comic book references.

Perhaps at some point a turnamancer that is so old that his signamancy has changed completely nearly a dozen times will appear. And maybe that turnamancer will have in his possession a blue box. And this box, through a trick of Foolamancy, could possibly be bigger on the inside. If these things were to happy, I think a number of people would clap.

Basically, what subjects are you interested in and would like to see included?
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Who/What would you like to see a reference to?

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 am

Well, we already had a Supox, so there's that.

The spell names from the Wizardry series are cool-sounding but using them for themselves would be, well, lame.

MLP would be anachronistic (I think they've been avoiding references to things occurring after Parson's departure, right?), but if it could be done subtly enough, sure.

I can't think of any Harry Potter references, except maybe a background caster that I dimly suspect might have been shown once.

It'd be nifty if exactly one city structure did exactly what it would have done in Civilization. Enough to provoke a moment of recognition and then confusion.

Hmm.
drachefly

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 am

Expecting Blair to come back with Communist Winkies wearing Russian fur hats and Snacki to found a city called Neotokyo which is about to explode.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 am

Had the thought today for a Foolamancer called Peter Puck. Slight fellow, dressed in green. Fond of wasting his juice on pranks. I suspect there are a couple of users on the forum who would be pleased with this character's inclusion. He could make his shadow move about without him, and maybe make someone's head look like a donkey's.

I also propose the existence of a Foolamancer ruler named King Giacomo, the Jester King.

And perhaps a Foolamancer named Yorick who was raised by a Croakamancer after his untimely demise. Just because.
Lipkin

Postby Jatopian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 am

I just want the references to be whatever fits well in the writing. No shoehorning, please.

References I actually get are preferable too, but I can't reasonably expect all of them to be such.
Jatopian

Postby Lipkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 am

Jatopian wrote:I just want the references to be whatever fits well in the writing. No shoehorning, please.

References I actually get are preferable too, but I can't reasonably expect all of them to be such.

Pardon me for wanting to have fun with imagining.
Lipkin

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:27 am

Jatopian wrote:I just want the references to be whatever fits well in the writing. No shoehorning, please.

Just to support Lipkin on this one.. what he wants isn't shoehorning either. What he's asking for is suggestions... that we may or may not get... it'll depend on Rob thinking if they work or not.
All we're doing here is seaching for ammo its up to Rob to determine it's the right calibre and fire the shot.
So what you're actually asking for is Rob to do his job properly and make references believeable and appropriate..
Werebiscuit

Postby Lipkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am

Werebiscuit wrote:

Just to support Lipkin on this one.. what he wants isn't shoehorning either. What he's asking for is suggestions... that we may or may not get... it'll depend on Rob thinking if they work or not.
All we're doing here is seaching for ammo its up to Rob to determine it's the right calibre and fire the shot.
So what you're actually asking for is Rob to do his job properly and make references believeable and appropriate..

Not even that. I just wanted to know what people were interested in. What would they be happiest to see being paid tribute in the pages of Erf? This wasn't about making suggestions to Rob. It was just an opportunity for people to come up with clever things related to topics that are near and dear to them.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Oh, in that case science fiction, pseudo science, and deranged internet conspiracies. I'm talking Starwars/Battlestar, Time Cube/Quantum spooky action at a distance/Perpetual motion machines, and David Icke/Alex Jones/Roswell/Montauk. That kind of stuff. But pop culture. You know, Eyes Wide Shut, Wickerman, and Serial Experiments Lain kind of stuff. Like I want Eyemancer enforcers from the pink part of the MK to be called Pinkertons and have all seeing eye badges. You know? Or MiBs/G-men with Neurolizer wands.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Jatopian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 am

Lipkin wrote:Pardon me for wanting to have fun with imagining.
:roll: There's no need to act all victimized. I just wanted to make sure it got said early in the thread. Too many people bark like seals when they recognize something as a reference to something else - doesn't matter what - and then confuse it for good entertainment.

Don't want anyone getting unbalanced later because they hadn't thought of that w.r.t. why Rob hasn't put in a reference to their favorite things even after they lovingly spelled it out in this here thread.
Jatopian

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:29 am

Sounds like you're racist against seals, sir.

Note: I was totes gon' put a sad seal image here, but they were actually too sad.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:18 am

Jatopian wrote:
Lipkin wrote:Pardon me for wanting to have fun with imagining.
:roll: There's no need to act all victimized. I just wanted to make sure it got said early in the thread. Too many people bark like seals when they recognize something as a reference to something else - doesn't matter what - and then confuse it for good entertainment.

Don't want anyone getting unbalanced later because they hadn't thought of that w.r.t. why Rob hasn't put in a reference to their favorite things even after they lovingly spelled it out in this here thread.

So you jumped to conclusions and were a needless downer as a result. Great.

You act as if this thread was a hotspot of conversation that needed to be nipped in the bud. There were all of 4 posts before yours, and 2 of them were mine. There were weeks between the two posts prior to yours. What danger did this thread pose, exactly? There was absolutely no need for you to post. The thread was dying, but now it's pretty much dead. It may be dead because I've now ranted about your comment, rather than the comment itself, but it's still dead. Hard to get back on topic after this, and I certainly don't feel like exchanging ideas any more.

Bark. Bark. Bark.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 am

Carnies or Daters should have a circus animal themed spell that involves conditioning a crowd to bark like trained seals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDxRCa_wfc
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:52 pm

I was looking at my thread on library building, and it hit me... Stephen the Coal-Bear!

Did he write the book "I am Erfworld (and so can you!)"? Who can say? :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Salvador Dalì as a caster (foolamancer, weirdomancer or signamancer), this guy had priceless quotes and a strangeness that would be interesting to see in erfworld, not to mention his iconic mustache.
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby arbo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Captain Roberto Nascimento, protagonist of Elite Squad. I can say with absolute certainty that every single Erfworld fan from Brazil would roar "BOOP YEAH!" if a properly recognizable "Captain Bope Birthdate" made an appearance. Specially if he led a never-breaking stack of special forces called "The Skullknives" or something.

If you're ever gonna watch only one Brazilian movie in your life, make it this one. If you can endure the subtitles, it will show you the harsh reality of Rio de Janeiro like no other movie. Well, perhaps City of God. Watch both back-to-back and lay speechless.
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51 pm

I'd like to see a short female dollamancer that uses large dolls with full metal helmets and magical drills as their weapons. She would refer to croaked units as Archons, and have some croakamancy ability which would let her turn corpses into a magical substance that can give units specials, but also might drive them insane.

Edit: Actually, she might be a high end unit like an Archon with natural dollamancy, so she can only ever have one golem to protect her.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I'd like to see a short female dollamancer that uses large dolls with full metal helmets and magical drills as their weapons. She would refer to croaked units as Archons, and have some croakamancy ability which would let her turn corpses into a magical substance that can give units specials, but also might drive them insane.

Edit: Actually, she might be a high end unit like an Archon with natural dollamancy, so she can only ever have one golem to protect her.

Pardon my lack of general knowledge, but... what would that be a reference to?
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby Mrtyuh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 pm

The little sisters from BioShock that went around collecting Adam from corpses, protected by the lumbering big daddies. They called the corpses "angels" and the big daddies "Mr. Bubbles" I think. I loved that game, but it's been years since I played it.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Mrtyuh wrote:The little sisters from BioShock that went around collecting Adam from corpses, protected by the lumbering big daddies. They called the corpses "angels" and the big daddies "Mr. Bubbles" I think. I loved that game, but it's been years since I played it.

Yeah, I forgot to work Mr. Bubbles in there somewhere. And my description of the diving suits they wear could have been better, but I couldn't think of a way to describe 'diving helmet' without saying 'diving helmet' or taking half a paragraph.

I mostly thought of it cause I've been watching a friend do his first playthrough recently. He likes to freak out alot and is surprisingly bad at it for someone who plays FPS games way more than me.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld