Erfworld the Game?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Erfworld the Game?

Postby Tarvok » Thu May 16, 2013 11:51 pm

I know there is an erfrworld themed thing here and there, but what about an actual Erfworld Game? It feels a bit like a 4x (civlike) game with battles individually fought at the tactical level (at least if you have a warlord in the hex). Very reminiscent of Master of Magic in many ways.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a noob here. Has this already been discussed to death?
Tarvok
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Re: Erfworld the Game?

Postby Doctor Foreman » Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 am

Tarvok wrote:I know there is an erfrworld themed thing here and there, but what about an actual Erfworld Game? It feels a bit like a 4x (civlike) game with battles individually fought at the tactical level (at least if you have a warlord in the hex). Very reminiscent of Master of Magic in many ways.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a noob here. Has this already been discussed to death?

A major part of the premise of Erfworld is that the rules are not as they appear. The underlying mechanics of Erfworld are much weirder and more inscrutable than the rules each side assumes to be true. That's good for storytelling, but very bad for casual gameplay, because Rob knows the underlying mechanics but can't reveal them, which makes it difficult for the game master person who would have to know the underlying rules to effectively manage the game.

Spending time trying to figure out rule workarounds is going to take much of the speed and fun out of basic strategic gameplay. In Erfworld, people have their entire lives to work this stuff out. During live play, not so much.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Lipkin » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

That being said, adapting the setting from turn based strategy to RPG could be a lot of fun. Fighting adorable monsters, making puns for everything from character creation to casting spells, and finding clever ways to combine the mechanics of Erf that we know with how RPG's are run.

Maybe a Warlord, rather than having direct control of the party, merely adds combat buffs to whomever he "leads. "
Lipkin

Postby MarbitChow » Mon May 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Take a look through the "Your Games" forum. There have been a number of attempts to simulate an Erfworld RPG to varying degrees. Kaed's is probably the most faithful to the source, but since the moves are PMed to each player, lurkers can't really tell what's going on.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon May 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Wasn't an erfworld TBS game an explicit goal of Robs? That Warbarons game was the guys he was looking at wasn't it? Or whatever... So yes, an Erfworld game someday.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu May 23, 2013 1:50 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Take a look through the "Your Games" forum. There have been a number of attempts to simulate an Erfworld RPG to varying degrees. Kaed's is probably the most faithful to the source.

As a player in said campaign, I can attest to this. The rules we have written down gradually change as the comic reveals more, but our goal is to be as faithful as possible, and where there is doubt we take the simpler approach.
There are a few problems however. One is that it's very time consuming for Kaed, because of the level of detail and plot he includes. Another is the fact that there are a few mechanics that he does secretly, so they are not written down. The main ones being the actual math of Combat, XP values, and how wild units pop. Of course these are unexplained in the comic as well, so I think he's just invented something the works well enough to look like Erfworld.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby balder » Sat May 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I'll chime in here with some thoughts.

The way I see the dichotomy between story and game is that what happens in the story could be approximated by simple game rules and dice outcomes. We're telling the story of how the game pieces as actual human beings might experience a game world.

So an Erfworld game could have a very simple mechanic to represent stuff that's apparently complex in the story. Your side could just have a card/attribute that says you have Dirtamancy Level 2, maybe not even a Dirtamancer unit. But this would give you options like [Upgrade a city at half cost, build on a city site at half cost, upgrade a city's defenses for free, generate 2 crap golem units or 1 rock golem unit] on a turn.

Sizemore's life and discipline is all show to us in the story. But in a game, his presence could be approximated as a small set of benefits to the side.

Leadership bonus of a warlord does nothing to explain the tactics of a stack-to-stack fight. It's just assumed that the Level 9 warlord REALLY knows what she's doing, and it affects the outcome tables when her stack fights an unled enemy stack.

So I see a fairly manageable set of general rules could govern an Erfworld game, while still being true to the fundamental concepts.

I won't comment on how a Parson or a Charlie could be represented in such a game, but I do have a picture in my mind of how that would work as well.
balder

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm

balder wrote:So I see a fairly manageable set of general rules could govern an Erfworld game, while still being true to the fundamental concepts.

naturally. the (assumed) problem is just that it could be that not all concepts have appeared in the story yet and that putting them in the game might spoil the surprise.
but if you say that we already know all the (important) rules, people can start working/planning, i guess.
Finn MacCool

Return to Everything Else Erfworld