Can Attuned Individuals Link?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Can Attuned Individuals Link?

Postby Doctor Foreman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 am

Couldn't find mention of this idea anywhere else on the forum, so figured I'd post it here:

Can a caster be both linked and attuned to an Arkentool at the same time?

I ask because we have an opportunity to test this theory at the moment. The Thinkamancer, Dirtamancer and Croakamancer of a single side - one of them attuned - are in close proximity (as was the case during the last story arc climax involving an inferno).

On balance, my guess is going to be "no". Because the Thinkamancer link apparently creates an "alloy" of minds, the attuned caster(s) might no longer be considered the individuals who attuned to their Arkentools. And in any case, the Powers That Be in Erfworld may simply be unwilling to let force multipliers stack that much.

In fairness, it would get kind of ridiculous. You'd have them turning the fire into a ghost-powered Flame Golem Megazord, or uncroaking the Moon or something.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Re: Can Attuned Individuals Link?

Postby Xarx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:53 am

More interesting is the question of whether attuned individuals can link with each other.

There are 4 known Arkentools, and it's been explicitly stated that a 4-way link is thought to be impossible. To me, that's highly suggestive.
Xarx

Postby TokraZeno » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 am

I think Charlie has established that it's possible to link with a Tool, but his links seem to be one-way.

If we use Maggie's 'cognitive co-pilot' concept, I would think that it gives a tool a better understanding of their arkentool (at least temporarily). Stanley realizes his knowledge of the hammer is limited and Wanda recently admitted the same with the Pliers.
TokraZeno

Postby Doctor Foreman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm

TokraZeno wrote:I think Charlie has established that it's possible to link with a Tool, but his links seem to be one-way.

Really? When did he link with another caster?
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Xarx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 pm

Doctor Foreman wrote:
TokraZeno wrote:I think Charlie has established that it's possible to link with a Tool, but his links seem to be one-way.

Here, with Vanna:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-12.png

She makes it unambiguous in this update:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-24.jpg
Xarx

Postby Doctor Foreman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 am

Xarx wrote:
Doctor Foreman wrote:

Here, with Vanna:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-12.png

She makes it unambiguous in this update:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-24.jpg

I was kind of thinking more in the sense of a linked individual attempting to use an Arkentool. This is sort of reversed, with Charlie using the Arkentool to link but nothing beyond that.

In any case, I dunno if it's that unambiguous. That she was linked from a long distance does mean the Dish was involved in the process. But it could have been Charlie using it to link two different casters rather than linking himself with Vanna. If I hold that opinion - and if I do, I don't hold it strongly - it would be because:
1. I have a sticking-point about believing Charlie to be a caster, though, simply because I'm having difficulty seeing how a Stupidworlder (which I think we generally agree he is) could learn how to use magic in this world.
2. I have difficulty believing a control freak like Charlie would willingly subsume his mind into a larger whole, though perhaps the Arkendish lets him get around the whole "losing your individuality" thing.
Doctor Foreman

Postby MadZuri » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

We now have conclusive evidence that they can indeed link. Charlie was revealed to be a Carnymancer, and he was able to link (through the Arkendish) to Vanna. That covers point one. For point two, I'll give my own speculation. I think Charlie essentially is permanently linked to the dish upon attunement, as if it were a caster.
MadZuri

Postby EBass » Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Does it occur to anyone else that it was quite out of character for Charlie to allow himself to link up? I mean he was obviously very scared when he believed his secrets were compromised, and although we know that casters pretty much uniformly forget the exact details of what happens during their link, it hasn't really been confirmed whether those memories are still there or are accessable at all. To allow someone else not under his direct control into his very mind with all the possible information that could give them........... seems off for him.
EBass

Postby drachefly » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

He could have tested links on casters before - casters whom he'd captured and everyone presumed were dead - and found that they didn't remember a thing. Unmatched thinkamancy, after all.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

EBass wrote:Does it occur to anyone else that it was quite out of character for Charlie to allow himself to link up? I mean he was obviously very scared when he believed his secrets were compromised, and although we know that casters pretty much uniformly forget the exact details of what happens during their link, it hasn't really been confirmed whether those memories are still there or are accessable at all. To allow someone else not under his direct control into his very mind with all the possible information that could give them........... seems off for him.
I think this a "lesser of two evils" scenario - have some of your secrets potentially revealed to a caster (who, I assume, is bound by confidentiality agreements - Charlie has been shown to use those frequently) in order to take out an actively hostile force who is actively working to reveal your secrets. Barbarian casters are like consultants - their reputation is important, and they probably won't risk actively harming their current employer in order to insure good will and good reputation in the future.
MarbitChow

Return to Everything Else Erfworld