Carnymancy and Lady Sylvia Lazarus

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Carnymancy and Lady Sylvia Lazarus

Postby MadZuri » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Am I the only one that caught that Lady Sylvia Lazarus croaked in exactly the same way, in exactly the same circumstances, all three times that she croaked? She was trapped in an enemy garrison that went up in flames, and got burnt to a cinder. It was her Fate. It was the only way she could croak. Period.

This has some implications on our understanding of some of the mechanics. Jojo "made a deal", but he couldn't change her fate. Because Sylvia was at the battle of GK, the only way for Parson to win that battle would be to light everyone on fire.

Carnymancy changes the rules, but it can't change fate. I was hoping Parson could pick a Carnymancer's brain about info on mechanics. The only way for you to artfully bend rules is if you know those rules inside and out. Imagine being able to see, and change!, the mechanics and rules around you.
MadZuri

Re: Carnymancy and Lady Sylvia Lazarus

Postby drachefly » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 pm

/me's brain explodes.

Not quite, but wow, I hadn't noticed that.
drachefly

Postby MadZuri » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:13 am

I was kind of hoping that this would get a little more attention than it has. Meanwhile, loads of arguments about Fate and Predictamancy and whether Three-Edge booped Jillian. I don't even... how is that still in the Wiki but not the Jetstone archer and stabber as known nookie pairs?

Yes, they aren't exactly the same, but the similarities outweigh the differences. I also LOVE the "The Easy Way finally makes sense to me!" explanation. There is the Wanda hard way of doing things, and there is the Lady Sylvia Lazarus level of Very Hard Way. Think about it. The numbers that had to be borrowed for her to achieve her fate was epic. It was NOT plot armor, it was Fate.

That may be one of the true powers of Carnymancy. Jojo made a deal. He turned a level one's fate into her Fate. The numbers that had to go into her achieving that fate were more than significant. From her point of view, however, the Titans just loved her. She had no way of knowing that the only way for her to croak is to repeat the circumstances that she initially met her fate. Her Fate was SO powerful that it surpassed even her Decryption.

This point was important enough for me to create an account and familiarize myself with the forum. The Wiki... uhg, I am not prepared for that. But seriously, really? Nookie with three edge? WTBoop.
MadZuri

Postby TokraZeno » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 am

MadZuri wrote: I also LOVE the "The Easy Way finally makes sense to me!" explanation.

Nice to feel appreciated, but I'm not sure that I like the whole creating Fate thing. I doubt even a Charlie linkup could mess with Fate that way. If he could, he would have done it already and he wouldn't be so worried about Hamster. I do like the idea that Fate was tied into her death, but possibly not in the way you're thinking. I think it's more likely that Jojo was Predicted to lose his love or something like. He tried to fight it, made a deal with Charlie, making him powerful enough and the Thinkamancers desperate enough to (and this is my favorite part of this theory) allow the creation of the Perfect Warlord scroll.
TokraZeno

Postby MadZuri » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 am

I don't think Jojo, or Charlie, had anything at all to do with the Summon spell. I find it interesting that two separate casters from Unaroyal are working with Charlie, after their last orders being to only aide Royal sides. That also brings up an interesting point. Could it have been a 3-way link that created both the [edit: return home] scroll and the forced end turn casting? I'm not sure that just a turnamancer/thinkamancer (even with Artifact bonus) could have pulled that off. It should have taken a Carnymancer to break that rule. (wild speculation)

Also, I don't think Jojo was predicted to do anything. However, his casting caused Sylvia's fate to be as deterministic as if it Were Predicted. She was the "DM's girlfriend", in a way. That is some pretty powerful Fate magic right there. Let's just change some rules real quick, but not tell her about the specifics. She knew her fate, in the way that every unit knows their fate... intuitively. She even comprised a poem about it, and it is eerily prophetic (good job Titans, well played).
MadZuri

Postby MadZuri » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Also, who is Jszellmer? Thank you for your work on the wiki, you are awesome.
MadZuri

Return to Everything Else Erfworld