Dragons, Are they tamable without hammer?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Dragons, Are they tamable without hammer?

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 am

Glome wrote:I'm just going to leave this here. I'm not sure what comic this comes from, I randomly found the image the internet, although I bet Thor is referring to Loki. I wonder if we will eventually see a Loki inspired changemancer.

Even better.

why wouldn't he just smash them all, he an animal lover?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Beeskee » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 am

Based on the street vendor, I'm guessing he's in a park. What happens to folks in weird costumes who are smashing pigeons with a giant hammer in a park in the middle of the day?

Also, after the first kill, I'm guessing the survivors would all fly away, including the one he wants.

Regarding taming dwagons, I'm guessing it's possible, but difficult to do. Regular casters of various types probably have spells which would help (or hinder) the process as well.

I think anything capable of being popped as a unit by a side would be possible to tame, at least. Not sure about the non-unit critters, I imagine those would work similar to taming an RL animal.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm

"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby ftl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm

It does seem like it's not cheap. Jillian did it by feeding the dwagon three dead bodies (maybe bodies of high elves work especially well for this, maybe not) at what she believed was significant risk to herself.

The cost seems to be that roughly, to tame a dwagon, you have to sacrifice some small number of units, and risk losing a fairly high-level warlord. The units are expendable, but risking people like Jillian to tame dwagons is probably not worthwhile for a side. You could send her with extra guys defense in case the dwagon isn't friendly... but I bet that would make it harder to tame! Dwagons are probably less friendly when they have units pointing swords at them "just in case" they're not tamed.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm

And of course it's also possible a Turna or Carny could do this magically as well. But at least we now know the "mundane" method is "Bribe it with food"
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

0beron wrote:And of course it's also possible a Turna or Carny could do this magically as well. But at least we now know the "mundane" method is "Bribe it with food"

Its also possible their are other methods. Maggie mentioned, breaking a wild mount. But we do know one good way to tame a dwagon. It occurs to me that Hatamancers could do an excellent job of producing dwagon food. Dwagy-snacks. (Also batty-snacks, horsy-snacks and general snackiness!)

Hey maybe there is someway an army of hatamancers could pull enough rations from their hat (or orilies which are later eaten) to make the side upkeep neutral. Just need a way of giving everyone some basic hatamancy...
Lamech

Postby Zain » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Lamech wrote:Its also possible their are other methods. Maggie mentioned, breaking a wild mount.

The only mention of that, or those words in that rough context, was this update here...

And I really don't think that's the meaning of "break" "wild" and "mount" you might have recalled. :oops:

All aside, I'm curious how temporary/permanent this form of taming might be, and if what we know about the Hammer can reveal more. Far as we can see, the Hammer does it magically, but I wonder if that individual effect of the Hammer could be duplicated by any given 'mancer.
Zain

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld