The Amateur Linkamancer's Thread

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: The Amateur Linkamancer's Thread

Postby 0beron » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:50 am

Agreed on the Signamancer. Also, the name is totally wrong, try this instead.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 am

If the point is to cause the offspring to signify a relationship between the parents, I'd go with a Signamancer instead of a Healomancer. The spell is being used to alter the signamancy of the offspring to resemble that of both parents, so a signamancer should be involved.
Lipkin

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm

drachefly wrote:I'd expect a signamancer on that one, not a turnamancer.

Agreed a signamancer would work better, I don't know why I had this ideea that a anti-Turning effect would also fall within Turnamancy.

Also agreed that the genetics one would probably work better with a signamancer although damn do those guys seem overpowered.

Maybe a Weirdomancer tough as in one of the text updates somebody came up with the idea to hire as to make the Treant like units Jetsone has grow radishes you know for national pride and stuff.

Although to be fair the person who suggested that was both a non-caster and a idiot.

Another option for Healomancers:

Healomancer + Thinkamancer + Moneymancer: Universal Healthcare

For x turns after the ritual, all units cost y% more in smuckers to produce but they have z% health from the start

Signamancer + Thinkamancer + Predictomancer/Lookamancer: Accurate Horoscopes

Link in a Predictamancer when you want one for a unit of your own side, i.e. you know the unit's poped turn, get much more powerful predictamancy (if this is possible I'm not sure)

Link in a Lookamancer and get the enemy warlords birthday, you get a general personality readout (this one is Aries he's aggressive and will lead from the front, this one's a Libra be prepared for them to have diplomanced some of your allies to their side etc)

Knowing the poped signs of two units in a direct battle unlocks the up until then hidden advantage system which relies on their signs.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby Lamech » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Bunch of fun ideas
Spoiler: show
Croakamancer+Healomancer= Uncroaked that heal to full at the start of each turn.
Croakamancer+Dollamancer= Make dolls from corpses. No decay. No upkeep. No dusting at the end. Rezzing them after the second death again. And the third. Stronger than regular uncroaked.
Croakamancer+Florist = Thallids and Saprolings. (Any MTG players here?)
Croakamancer+Thinkamancer = Ghosts! No idea if they would be any good.
Croakamancer+Signamancer = Uncroaked that don't decay and look alive. May fall into uncanny valley.
Croakamancer+Moneymancer = Turn croaked into money!
Change-a-mancer+Moneymancer = Turn enemies into change!
Shockamancer+Healomancer = Blasts that hurt and heal at the same time! Not particularly effective.
Changeamancer+Dollamancer = Change enemies into dolls. Which work for you!
Dollamancer+Rhymeomancer = MP3 players. Provide awesome rhyme-o-mancy buffs in a portal-able format!
Dittomancer+any = double the power of the already supercharged spells.
Rhyme-o-mancer+any = supercharge the power of any spells by transforming it into a song!
Signomancer+any = make the spells just look better, work better, be more organized etc.
Luckamancer+Thinkamancer = make sure you get lucky with links and your foes get unlucky with links!
Dollamancer+any = Better casting tools for the casting discipline. Also wizard's robes. A hatamancer can make a wizards hat!

Anyway, if you really want to break something almost anything with positive feedback can get totally out of hand. Or at the very least magnify every other benefit. A thinkamancer link that makes an item that provides the dual link benefits, maybe a dollamancer link making magic staffs, a hat-magician link making spell boosting hats, a luckamancer making risky acts unrisky, a weirdomancer adding a permanent caster ability etc. A dateomancer to buff teamwork between specific people. A rhyme-o-mancy item that adds epic latin chanting to any spell. A dirtamancer something link producing a super tower.

THAT is how stuff gets screwed up in strategy games. People get out of hand because they use what they have to make themselves better. And then the cycle repeats.
Lamech

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I could see Rhymeomancers being very powerful and versatile, they are the Stageomancy (all 3 elements combined) discipline which deals with Fate after all, my argument being that every experience/activity of humanity has had a song written about it, thus a Rhymeomancer could buff any activity.

Add in the required Thinkamancer which can boost any mental activity (casting) and you'd get a huge bonus but you'd be limited to one domain that of the thrid caster in the link.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby Lamech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Prodigial_Knight wrote:I could see Rhymeomancers being very powerful and versatile, they are the Stageomancy (all 3 elements combined) discipline which deals with Fate after all, my argument being that every experience/activity of humanity has had a song written about it, thus a Rhymeomancer could buff any activity.

Add in the required Thinkamancer which can boost any mental activity (casting) and you'd get a huge bonus but you'd be limited to one domain that of the thrid caster in the link.

I suggest combining them with Signomancers: Music Videos; Foolamancers: Music Videos take II; Dollamancers: MP3 players, boomboxes etc; weirdomancers: everyone gets to sing; flower power: singing flowers and trees (like Disney!); or Turnamancy: Record players. BOOM! Items that grant those singer buffs.
Lamech

Postby Lilwik » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:43 am

Lamech wrote:Dollamancers: MP3 players, boomboxes etc; ... Turnamancy: Record players.
To me it looks like record players are part of "MP3 players, boomboxes, etc." Instead, I'd expect that a Rhyme-o-mancy/Turnamancy link would allow Rhyme-o-mancy to be cast more rapidly, like turning a record up to a higher RPM. Picture a Barry-White-style Rhyme-o-mancer going into the link and then singing Snow's "Informer". Picture Sinead O'Connor singing Barenaked Ladies' "One Week". Naturally I'd expect that up-tempo music like that would put a spring into the step of marching soldiers and generally reduce the number of turns needed for most activities while it is playing.
Lilwik

Postby wih » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 am

Maybe it takes a Rhyme to make the turntable but a Turnamancer to scratch it, everyone else just plays it straight :lol:
wih

Postby Alpha the White » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm

All the Link-up ideas I've seen so far rely on the idea of a Thinkamancer as the "glue" that holds together two other casters.
A dual-link Thinkamancer+caster combo is viewed only in the light that Maggie and Sizemore suggested it, the Thinkamancer augmenting the other caster's power.

But what about the Thinkamancer's own abilities contributing to the link? We know from TGMtTA that the true capabilities of Thinkamancy are enormous, surely somewhere within that morass of options lies some potent synergy with other caster types?

For example, might a Thinkamancer+Dollamancer be able to create a doll that can see grandiocosmic strings and thus see enemy units through obstacles, or an action figure that benefits from a Warlord's bonus even at a distance (a la remote control)?
Or perhaps a Foolamancer+Thinkamancer would be able to create an illusion that is purely emotional, and trick a target into thinking they are in love?

Or perhaps more straightforward, since a Thinkamancer's abilities can cross hex boundaries, would a Thinkamancer+Shockamancer be able to send Shockamancy through somebody's g-string, thus performing the ultimate assassination?

Extend that further. We have thought of many 2-caster link combinations. What of a 3-caster combination, with the Thinkamancer as a third contributor to the ability pool?
Alpha the White

Postby 0beron » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:11 pm

I think we have actually seen this already in the form of the Eyemancer link. Maggie was used to relay orders, her innate knowledge of where all units are at all times no doubt helped lighten Misty's load, and presumably she could even collect intel from the minds of units observing things. All of those go above and beyond simply being "glue".
So it definitely appears a Thinkamancer is indeed capable of performing their normal functions even while they're linked, which to me reads as them definitely being a 3rd type thrown in the mix. That 3rd skill just isn't always needed.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Alpha the White wrote:Or perhaps a Foolamancer+Thinkamancer would be able to create an illusion that is purely emotional, and trick a target into thinking they are in love?
I like your theory, but I seriously doubt that Thinkamancers have control over emotions. Thinkamancers can communicate emotions over a Thinkagram, and I'm sure that Foolamancers can cause people to see emotions in others that aren't real, and the two disciplines together can surely send fake emotions over a Thinkagram, but none of that is going to change what a unit actually feels. To make fake love you would need to change the emotions of a unit, and my gut says that to do that you would need Hippiemancy.

I know Jillian called love Natural Thinkamancy in Book 2, Text 28. I don't consider her a reliable source on that topic, and love seems like such a natural fit for Hippiemancy.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Jack and Wanda conclude love might not be Thinkamancy here: LIAB Text 10
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Jack and Wanda conclude love might not be Thinkamancy here: LIAB Text 10
That is well spotted, thank you. I had forgotten that page. Jack says that love isn't Hippiemancy. He seems to think that love is something beyond magic, and I think he's probably right because Jack is very observant and clever. I expect he's almost never wrong. On the other hand, that page firmly establishes that Thinkamancy has no spells to control love and Hippiemancy does have spells to control love, so fake love is probably something a Hippiemancer can make even without a link. It's only real love that is beyond the Hippiemancers.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm

That comment about giving a doll a boost via remote control made me once again wish for a dollmancer to make a Mech Suit. If it was a Pacific Rim style Yeager with Thinkamancy type components, mores the better.

Parson mentally controlling a giant robot would be awesome.
Lipkin

Postby thegoofromspace » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Thinkamancer+Thinkamancer+Thinkamancer. Grab the world by its G-strings!
thegoofromspace

Postby Alpha the White » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Lipkin wrote:That comment about giving a doll a boost via remote control made me once again wish for a dollmancer to make a Mech Suit. If it was a Pacific Rim style Yeager with Thinkamancy type components, mores the better.

Parson mentally controlling a giant robot would be awesome.

I'm thinking either Dollamancer+Thinkamancer or Dollamancer+Thinkamancer+Turnamancer

In the first case, the Dollamancer is basically making an enormous action figure, and the Thinkamancer is contributing juice/amplification and whatever extra mental controls might be required. This depends on size being the only limiting factor, as a self-contained unit of this size just might be rules-illegal (what class would it be? Super-Heavy?).

In the second case, the turnamancer adds independent mechanical motion, while the dollamancer is contributing articulation and whatever combat capabilities we want the Suit to have. Additionally, a tri-link theoretically would have more juice available to it than a bi-link, in case the thing is just too big for anything less.
Alpha the White

Postby Keldaria » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 am

With the current updates going on, it just occured to me that a Predictamancer - Thinkamancer - Carneymancer combination could be quite a powerful one. Think of it, the ability to predict the future and use carneymancy to foresee how to manipulate it to your advantage.

It's also occurred to me that it might be possible to linkup additional casters beyond 3. The theory being that if 1 thinkamancer can meld 3 minds into one, then can a duel or tri thinkamancer setup should be able comprehend how to handle more.

Example:

P < T > C
```/\```
```T```
```\/```
L < T > TN

In the Example T would be thinkamancers with the center one likely connecting the link by placing hands directly on the 2 thinkamancers skulls (think direct connection). The 2 outer thinkamancers then connect with the other casters via a normal hand holding link, This combination would connect a predictamancer, carneymancer, lookamancer, and turnamancer with 3 thinkamancers. Quite an expensive combination but imagine the outcome of being able to see with the lookamancer, predict futures with the predictamancer and manipulate them with a combination of carney and turnamancy. Having 3 Master Class thinkamancers would be a must to safely facilitate the link, but having the ability to do so could just be the game breaking ability parson needs to trump charlies maneuvering... and he seems to have plenty of master class thinkamancers that would be willing to help out.
Keldaria

Postby Alpha the White » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Keldaria wrote:Snip

If he could get a carnymancer to cooperate.
Alpha the White

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Alpha the White wrote:
Keldaria wrote:Snip

If he could get a carnymancer to cooperate.

Since Charlie is a Carnymancer that specializes in Thinkamancer Linking, I think that is the least insurmountable of the potential obstacles. EDIT: Just realized you meant for Parson to do that...yeah, that seems an issue now. Parson's gotta work with what he has.

That said, the outcome of what Keldaria said is something that can happen without the Link. The true benefit of a multicaster Link is the combination spells that are gained, not the use of individual powers in separate but coordinated fashion. Such a link would be more likely to be able to create a spell to see other casters' Predictions before they happen and CHANGE what those casters Predict, changing a unit's Fate forever...
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:07 pm

So, I'd been mulling over this for a bit, but for some reason it just really came to the front of my mind all the sudden and figured I'd stop by here to do a quick post to share my (obviously brilliant, natch) thought.

Since carnymancy is all about breaking rules, and 3 caster links seem to be a built in maximum... might a carnymancer be able to fudge the rules so that more than 3 casters could link? Perhaps even without having to be part of the link herself. Perhaps a Thinkamancer + Carnymancer + Weirdomancer could, by a combination of carny rule breaking and weirdomancer special fiddling, allow a separate thinkamancer link to hit numbers above 3. Perhaps the original link casts something that makes a caster not a caster, but still has access to their juice and spells and such, but therefore doesn't count against the 3 caster limit in a link. Of course, you're talking about access to 7+ casters at that point, and likely more beyond to break the link safely. And I doubt mercenaries would be a good idea for the actual link, though they could be used to help break it. After all, you have to have synergy and such, and likely a good bit of duty/loyalty to do something so risky. Still, if you could accomplish it, you're talking about serious power. I mean, as Sizemore said, he changed terrain type like a Titan. If a tri link can manage a single Titan-like spell... what could a quad link produce?
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld