The Amateur Linkamancer's Thread

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: The Amateur Linkamancer's Thread

Postby wreeee » Mon May 05, 2014 5:16 am

So, I've been thinking, one of the ways Parson may "break the war" is by introducing the concept of MAD to the Erfworld. Obviously, this would require magic, and, probably, link magic. So a number of links I've considered:

Shock/Carny or Shock/Ditto or Shock/Luck: Make Shockmancy start fire, turning into Inferno, in any hex. Kind of a tactical nuke, can wipe any army no matter how many units it has. Depends on exact rules of starting fire and when it advances to the next stage. Whatever rules are, Carny can broke those, though a question remains if Shockmancy would be still powerful enough to start a fire. Alternatively, Dittomancy can bring Shockmancy power up to 11 (and start a chain reaction?), to ensure that everything burns (but, probably, it will work only in specific hexes — though being able to burn any City would still be helpful. Alternatively, Luckmancy can help Shockmancy in starting fire and help that fire in being lucky enough to grow.
An unlinked Weirdomancer would be required to complement this, removing any fire-fighting specials and talking ability from units in that hex. Oh, and removing fire resistance would help as well.
Or, since Fire works as a Dirtomancy trap, it could be possible that a Dirtomancer can create an Inferno, perhaps with some help from same Carny/Ditto/Luck.
wreeee

Postby Lilwik » Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 am

wreeee wrote:So, I've been thinking, one of the ways Parson may "break the war" is by introducing the concept of MAD to the Erfworld.
I love the idea of mutually assured destruction in Erfworld. I don't think we have enough clues to have any hope of guessing what form it might take, but it seems like exactly the sort of thing that Parson might come up with. It's far more practical than uniting the entire world as a single side.
Lilwik

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon May 05, 2014 6:22 am

Shockmancer and carnymancer, break the rule that the fire they start stays in the starting hex. Jumps from hex to hex endlessly till the entire world is in ash or the entire fire is put out in all hexes.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Shockmancer and carnymancer, break the rule that the fire they start stays in the starting hex. Jumps from hex to hex endlessly till the entire world is in ash or the entire fire is put out in all hexes.

Maybe Dirt (or Flower) plus Carny to decimate terrain and make it unproductive and dangerous to units?
GWvsJohn

Postby wreeee » Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Lilwik wrote:
wreeee wrote:So, I've been thinking, one of the ways Parson may "break the war" is by introducing the concept of MAD to the Erfworld.
I love the idea of mutually assured destruction in Erfworld. I don't think we have enough clues to have any hope of guessing what form it might take, but it seems like exactly the sort of thing that Parson might come up with. It's far more practical than uniting the entire world as a single side.

True, it is even possible it may take even take some non-lethal form, since the "Rock falls, everyone dies" type of Link was used already, and Charlie knows of it. It's just that fire rules are the only ones that I've noticed to have a potential to wipe out an army indiscriminately, together with any Rulers, Heirs and whatever — not counting situational terrain features like volcanoes, obviously.
Also, I've never really bought the "single side" version, since rebellions and revolts are still possible, and there always would be some power-hungry idiot.

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Shockmancer and carnymancer, break the rule that the fire they start stays in the starting hex. Jumps from hex to hex endlessly till the entire world is in ash or the entire fire is put out in all hexes.

Oh, yes, breaking that rule may help greatly as well. I've been thinking more along lines of a tactical weapon, being able to threaten enemy ruler and enemy capital no matter how many troops are protecting. But this would have a potential both to devastate the whole side, preventing the situation when a Ruler is willing to sacrifice himself to give his heir a chance, and to threaten its neighbours, which would make them to press for a peaceful solution.
GWvsJohn wrote:Maybe Dirt (or Flower) plus Carny to decimate terrain and make it unproductive and dangerous to units?

Yes, economic warfare of sorts could be quite effective as well, I guess. But I I'm not sure it would be quite possible to do this directly, remember how Sizemore was astonished that they've actually changed the Hex type.

By the way, speaking of changing Hex type. Since Dirtamancers can upgrade cities, I wonder if there is a link that would allow to remove capital sites. With that, it would be possible either to turn the world into a single empire with no reasonable chances of successful revolt, or even remove sides altogerther and make everyone Barbarian.
wreeee

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon May 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Might be possible to remove capital sites, but we don't really know how exactly capital sites are special, or having one or not effects a side. Does a side with cities and no capital suffer some particular penalty? Perhaps to income or troop production? Is the only real benefit the ability to pop heirs and have a MK portal? Or maybe capital sites are the only places that the world's most powerful units (dwagons, archons, megalos and the like) can be popped, and so are important for maintaining a side's strength.

I'm sure no capitals would have a strong effect on the world, but I don't know that it'd end war.

I wonder if a Weirdomancer link of some kind could produce something similar to the MK portal which would allow instant troop movements.

Oh, and because of the way Erfworld works, I think rebellions/revolts would be virtually impossible, especially if you don't have commanders (who seem to be about the only unit type with proper free will). I imagine this is one of the reasons that Charlie doesn't have any commanders, to prevent revolt. Olive no doubt made him paranoid about that. He seemed willing to break that rule of his for Parson though.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Omnimancer » Mon May 05, 2014 8:29 pm

wreeee wrote:By the way, speaking of changing Hex type. Since Dirtamancers can upgrade cities, I wonder if there is a link that would allow to remove capital sites. With that, it would be possible either to turn the world into a single empire with no reasonable chances of successful revolt, or even remove sides altogerther and make everyone Barbarian.

I doubt there's any known link-up that can change hex types that way. Sizemore is a pretty adept Dirtamancer, who has visited the magic kingdom countless times and studies other branches of magic, and he was astonished that he was able to change hex type "like a Titan".

It's worth pointing out that even awakening the volcano didn't remove the Gobwin Knob city site. It just added some terrain hazards and barriers to non-flyers, while leaving it as a capital site. So even if there are other links that can permanently alter terrain on that grand a scale, they likely would just alter some terrain features while leaving the overall hex type the same.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby conmor » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:57 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Might be possible to remove capital sites, but we don't really know how exactly capital sites are special, or having one or not effects a side. Does a side with cities and no capital suffer some particular penalty? Perhaps to income or troop production? Is the only real benefit the ability to pop heirs and have a MK portal? Or maybe capital sites are the only places that the world's most powerful units (dwagons, archons, megalos and the like) can be popped, and so are important for maintaining a side's strength.

I'm sure no capitals would have a strong effect on the world, but I don't know that it'd end war.

I wonder if a Weirdomancer link of some kind could produce something similar to the MK portal which would allow instant troop movements.

Oh, and because of the way Erfworld works, I think rebellions/revolts would be virtually impossible, especially if you don't have commanders (who seem to be about the only unit type with proper free will). I imagine this is one of the reasons that Charlie doesn't have any commanders, to prevent revolt. Olive no doubt made him paranoid about that. He seemed willing to break that rule of his for Parson though.

capital sites are connected to the underlying flow of magic like ley lines. any side without a capital is a barbarian. if a side manages to do what ansom was trying to do and captures a capital, you get the sides treasury in one go, and the individual cities go barbarian. if you kill the ruler than the capital doesn't form its own side with the units in it, it goes neutral and the other cities of the side go barbarian. this is why capitals and rulers are so protected, if another side croaks either one of them than the side can then pick off the cities piecemeal. if you capture the capital you get the treasury and can pick off the cities easily with no worry about the cities allies or reinforcements because there are none. if you kill the ruler than you can camp a giant army outside of the capital and spend as many turns as you want to attack the city.
conmor

Postby conmor » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:29 am

here are some link ups which i think would be game breaking:

dirt/money: raise the city level cap on producing shmuckers. get rid of the the problem that haffaton ran into at supersonic speeds
dirt/dirt: create a giant golem pacific rim style. (imagine if it was a crap and you detonated it.) cast it from a scroll in a enemy city, stand at hex's edge and pull the crap's finger. next step is to cross the boundary and start running.
dirt/turn: give a city a move speed(like the other person said about the city still being there after eruption maybe this wouldn't work)
flowerpower/carny: FORCE units to engage among themselves(infighting)(since flower power people are about combat rules) also: why is there flower power called hippiemancy? flower power seems to be what most people are talking about when they say hippiemancer because there isnt a good way to say flowerpowermancer. it leads to mix ups a lot.
find/look:get the arkenshoes or just steal something from another side. like stealing the arkendish right from under charlies nose.
shock/shock: kill every unit in a given hex. if done from scroll cast by look than it would be from hexes away.
math/math: up the number of dice a unit rolls for situations. (the proper analogy for this is rolling 2d20's and combining for a saving throw)(definitely game breaking because nat 20 is usually "you did it so perfectly that you also stabbed your enemy as you did it and killed him. i wonder what a nat 40 would do? everything above 20 would count as immediate success to the point of also achieving some goal or another)
carny/money: turn 10 shmuckers into 1,000 shmuckers or 10,000 shmuckers into 1,000,000 shmuckers. infinite money.
turn/ditto:double the amount of turns a side gets(the side gets 2 turns in a row).
sign/weird: everyone looks like a fucking velociraptor now. you have scared a lot of people who now think their ruler is a flesh eating beast that is eying them hungrily. would like to see that done though.
shock/dirt: shockomancy capable golems. possibly made out of copper and shooting lightening out of everywhere.
heal/luck: with a little luck you heal the poor damaged minds of the people who shat themselves after the velociraptor stunt you pulled. they might eventually be able to look a bird in the face without shitting themselves again. maybe.
change/fool: an item that constantly projects the image that a giant burrito is levitating over the ground. or it projects some other image that is useful. i would still go with the burrito.
Last edited by conmor on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conmor

Postby Godzfirefly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:55 am

conmor wrote:also: why is there flower power called hippiemancy? flower power seems to be what most people are talking about when they say hippiemancer because there isnt a good way to say flowerpowermancer. it leads to mix ups a lot.

Flower Power is a category within Hippiemancy. A Flower Power caster is called a Florist. And, though all Florists are technically Hippiemancers in the same way that all Dirtamancers are Stuffamancers, you usually don't call them by their more generic title unless they have mastery in multiple disciplines in the category or you're referencing various casters within the category.

(The other two categories of Hippiemancy are Date-a-mancy and Signamancy, by the way. Here's the link to the Magic Page in the wiki to help you visualize it:
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Magic
Godzfirefly

Postby Ashendant » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Flower-Power/Dirtamancy - Change a hex into a farmland hex.
Ashendant

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Carny/Croak: break the rule that says you can only uncroak units in your hex and a single Croakamancer can uncroak every freshly killed unit in all of Erfworld.
GWvsJohn

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Carny/Croak: break the rule that says you can only uncroak units in your hex and a single Croakamancer can uncroak every freshly killed unit in all of Erfworld.

All unled, and all of the weakest type imaginable. I have to admit, that'd be funny as hell to have someone cast that, then they suddenly capture a couple cities that had been attacked but barely held. I don't know how effective it'd be overall, but the chaos it would cause throughout Erf would be great.

And on similar lines:
Croak/Turn: Create a terrain feature that causes all units that croak in the hex to automagically be uncroaked. You could easily make an entire side based around that :P
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Date-a-mancy/Rhyme-o-mancy:

All units on the side count as stacked together for purposes of screening and bonuses, even if they're physically alone.

Synchronize said stacked side in their attacks and allow side-wide dance fighting.

Biggest Harlem Shake ever...
Godzfirefly

Postby Alpha the White » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:Date-a-mancy/Rhyme-o-mancy:

All units on the side count as stacked together for purposes of screening and bonuses, even if they're physically alone.

Synchronize said stacked side in their attacks and allow side-wide dance fighting.

Biggest Harlem Shake ever...

You just know Rob would literally make it a Harlem Shake.
Alpha the White

Postby conmor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:
conmor wrote:also: why is there flower power called hippiemancy? flower power seems to be what most people are talking about when they say hippiemancer because there isnt a good way to say flowerpowermancer. it leads to mix ups a lot.

Flower Power is a category within Hippiemancy. A Flower Power caster is called a Florist. And, though all Florists are technically Hippiemancers in the same way that all Dirtamancers are Stuffamancers, you usually don't call them by their more generic title unless they have mastery in multiple disciplines in the category or you're referencing various casters within the category.

(The other two categories of Hippiemancy are Date-a-mancy and Signamancy, by the way. Here's the link to the Magic Page in the wiki to help you visualize it:
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Magic

no i was talking about how people do not say flower power or florist they just say hippiemancer
conmor

Postby conmor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:38 pm

it wouldn't be croak carny it would be croak look. and the other one wouldnt be croak turn it would be croak dirt. at least in my opinion
conmor

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 am

conmor wrote:it wouldn't be croak carny it would be croak look. and the other one wouldnt be croak turn it would be croak dirt. at least in my opinion

In the future, rather than making multiple consecutive posts, could you instead just put everything into one?
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Ashendant » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 am

Just so you guys know I've recently updated the erfwiki page to be more easy to read. Unfortunately the table of contents I designed doesn't fully work yet(which I would be glad if someone put it working because it takes a really long time and I have non right now).

Here's one of the links I posted

Moneymancer/Weirdomancer

Hedgehog's Curse

A unit gains a Special called the Hedgehog's Curse. They have a Purse that can be filled with Schmuckers and everytime they are hit they are thrown in the air, becoming invincible for a few seconds and empty all their purse in the form of gems/physical schmuckers that they can gather to refill their purse. If the purse is empty at the time they take any attack they will incapacitate for the remainder of the turn.
Ashendant

Postby Lipkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 am

So, a Dollmancer can create magic weapons, given they have the requisite materials on hand, yes?

And a Foolamancer can instantly make anything that they want, but the veils are intangible, yes?

So could a linked Foolamancer and Dollmancer instantly create an arsenal of magical weapons out of nothing? I'm going to say yes, but that the weapons would only exist as long as the link was intact.
Lipkin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld